Author Topic: JB bore compound?  (Read 741 times)

Offline Will52100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
JB bore compound?
« on: November 18, 2003, 06:57:48 PM »
I havent' been able to find JB local, so I'll have to order some if I get any.

My question may sound dumb, but what about Flitz?  It's a past polishing compound, not real agresive, but it does brighten up things.

I just got a new Pieta 36 cal. police and the bore is kinda rough.  I tried the flitz on a tight patch and ran about 5 or 6 through it and it seemed to help.  BTW, action and fit and finish are superb for a gun that's under 200$, only grip is that I havent' found one yet that has good metal to wood fit, but this ones better than previous, may not even sand it down.  Looking forward to shooting it.  Any recomended loads?  Planning on seeing how 20 grains of 3f does.

Anybody tried this, or do I need to go ahead and get the JB?

Thanks,

Will
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline olduvai george

JB bore compound?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 09:19:35 PM »
Sir:  Twenty grains of Goex 3f is my accuracy load for a Uberti '51 colt, using a 380 round ball, and lots of grease in the chamber mouths.  I've used both JB and Flitz in cf barrels.  Ougfht to work fine.  Regards,  george

Offline Roy Cobb

• Avid Poster
JB bore compound?
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2003, 12:08:21 PM »
JBs bore paste is a bit more agressive than the flitz, or happich, the JBs bore shine is really fine, depends on how much work needs to be done.
I start out on high power barrels with 50 strokes of JBs paste then solvent patch it clean, then use Happich polish for 50 strokes then fire 5 shots and repeat until I get little or no fouling from jacketed rounds, the pietta stuff I have seen usually have pretty nice looking bores. Some of the older stuff is a bit lacking in the polish department. Uberti usually looks pretty nice.

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
JB bore compound?
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2003, 05:32:07 PM »
Thanks, got a chance to shoot it today, a few problems, nothing major.  The nipples almost to small to hold a #11 cap, and one to short to fire the first time.  Got a set of Treso? nipples on now, will test tomorrow.  Also the hammer had an impact burr from a place in the hammer notch on the frame where it wasnt' completely milled like it should have been.  Made the hammer stick a few times, a little work with the dremel and it works fine.

Got to playing with the loads and found that I could Magnumtize it by filling the chamber mouth all the way to the top with 3f and could still seat the ball, :twisted: Added a bit of power and kick!  Not something I'll do on a regular base, no room for a wad and I don't care for covering to tops of balls with grease.

All in all a nice little gun, I was surprised at how hard the little 36 hits, with one tunned right I wouldn't feel under armed on the street today.  What realy impressed me was the ballance.  One thing, it's basicly a cut down 1861 navy, not a real police, the police was based on the pocket dragoon and had five shots, not six.  But I'm not complaining. :-)
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Super Rat

JB bore compound?
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 01:31:24 PM »
The .36 calibre is a real jewell. I was pleasently surprised at how hard my Remington Navy shoots, especially with 777. It's much more powerful than I thought that calibre was, before I actually owned one. I used to think it was a real "pip-squeek", but not any more.

I carry mine while BP big game hunting and don't feel under gunned at all. With light loads, it's a much better grouse gun than my 1860. When I shoot the two pistols side by side, the The Navy Remington .36 with 777, and the 1860 Colt .44 with black, you can't really tell that the .44 is the bigger gun. I guess the .36 is kind of the mouse that roars!
Brown Bess .75 calibre carbine, .62 calibre Jaeger, .58 Calibre slug gun.

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
JB bore compound?
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2003, 05:45:59 PM »
Had to do a little more work on it, even with the treso nipples I had to turn the nipples back a half turn to insure ignition.   Broke it down and have it fixed, a little grinding on the inside of the hammer allowed the hammer to fall a little further in, a thousandth or two off the nipple.  Clean up and a little cold blue and looks great too.

I'm going to have to try the Remington caps, CCI falls off the nipples unless pinched, heard Reminton was the way to go.

I can understand how someone could get iritated though, you shouldn't have to work on a new gun, but at the price I cant' complain.
www.courtneyknives.com