Author Topic: New guy!  (Read 2312 times)

Offline SLT kota

• Trade Count: (0)
New guy!
« on: April 21, 2010, 12:01:21 PM »
Hey! I figured it was about time to introduce myself. I've got the cannon bug and finding you guys isn't helping me out either haha.

My story:
I'm a college student from Tennessee. I grew up on Lookout Mountain, TN about half a mile from Point Park where "the battle above the clouds" was fought. Growing up, point park was one of the places my mother didn't mind me venturing out to alone so I spent many hours there and always loved the cannons. I can't count how many times I heard the park rangers talking about how the armies had problems using the cannons when they were attacked because the cannon balls would roll out of the barrels before they could shoot down the mountain. I loved the cannons and the stories but always just kind of the actual cannons of props for the tourists/jungle gyms for kids like myself to play on (Looking back I don't see how I was allowed to climb all over them by the park rangers but I was).

In high school I moved across town out to the lake, where I worked at a yacht club, when cleaning up one day I found an old brass cannon with a 1/2in bore that I was told they use to shoot at parties, I begged my boss to shoot it off again and after several months (and putting one of the wheels back on) he fired it at a party. Well... I was hooked and quickly started a search for a mini cannon. I started looking all over but couldn't really find anything I could afford. I finally bought a cheap little signal cannon off ebay that was turned from hexagonal stock, nothing nice but it makes a boom.

My current cannon, since I know you will ask: (try not to laugh... too hard)

I love my little goofy cannon that I got off ebay but to be honest it isn't the best of designs, it works well for a boom but the carriage is very cheap and well, it is kind of a backwards version of a naval carriage without wheels. The trunnions are not really trunnions but rather a small tube that goes through a hole at the BACK of the barrel (you can imagine with that pivot point what happens when you fire it even with a blank charge). It is cheap but was all I could afford at the time and did a good job of putting a smile on my face and making loud booms. Sorry, I don't have pictures.

Well, now you guys have me wanting to upgrade, I want to get something safer, nicer, and with the ability to shoot projectiles. I would love a golf ball or beer can mortar to shoot (I've spent hours drooling over dom's dictator but as a college student, I'm afraid to even ask a price, and I really like Armorer77's mortars). I'm also wanting some sort of naval style cannon and/or a small replica of a Neapolitan like the ones I use to climb all over as a kid... Its safe to say, I think this site is going to lead to another expensive hobbie...

Thanks for the space and sorry for the novel,
Stuart

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
Re: New guy!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 12:17:52 PM »
welcome here

dont you have any machine shop at the college ??
maybe you could build your own mortar
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline SLT kota

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 12:51:29 PM »
I'm sure we do, seems like they have everything here but they won't let anyone touch anything unless you are in that specific college. Oh how I wish the engineering department would let me play with their wind tunnels and dynos  ;D.

I'm hoping that I might have an older small brass naval gun to fix up if all goes well and no one else gets it first. I'll find out more tonight.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 01:03:40 PM »
Stuart,

All I can say after reading you opening post is you have the right attitude and welcome to the board!  

Since you  aregoing to college-what is your major? If your school has an engineering program consider taking some machine shop electives- even audit classee if you have the time. Learn how to operate machine tools.  Even if you don't need it for the your chosen profession, it makes a good hobby skill.  One of the best machinist I know is a retired Internal Medicine Dr.

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 01:19:06 PM »
Armourer's GB Coehorns would be a good economical way to get started.  He was selling the last ones for $95 shipped, including the bed.  All you'd need is implements, powder, and a walk down a fairway for balls that have lost their way.

I'm also a big fan of the idea of taking some machining classes if they're offered at your school.  I wish I had.  One of my favorite classes I ever took was shop when I was in 8th grade, and doing more involved projects would be fun.  Perhaps I should look up vocational school offerings in my area...

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,200160.0.html

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 01:22:05 PM »
Hi Stuart,

Welcome aboard.  Don't worry about the 'Novel'.  I get pretty windy myself, sometimes.  Can't wait to see your first cannon.  Small or  large, it really doesn't matter here as long as it fires!  A word to the wise, if you get the time, look at the stickies for hints on how to post pics.  These guys here really love them and the only disparaging comments I have ever seen are on items that look unsafe and those have been very, very few in number.  Good to have you as a member.  Maybe more of the guests or visitors would join too, if they realized that it's FREE and that only members can see 100% of the photos posted.  Just a little over half that number can be viewed by guests.

Tracy and Mike

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 01:30:50 PM »
Thought I'd add - I don't know what Dom is selling the GB Dictator for, but a little over a year ago he told me he was planning on them being around $200.  While $100-200 isn't cheap for a college student, it's manageable (and within the range that you may even be able to convince someone to give it to you as a b-day or CHRISTmas gift).  You may want to go ahead and contact him if there's something you'd like, so you're not guesstimating a cost.  Having a solid number makes it much easier to set a goal to acheive it.

BTW, welcome!  Finding this site has ruined you.  You will never be able to shake off the urge to play with dirty stinky powder! ;D

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 01:36:47 PM »
Welcome aboard . Remembering how tight cash was at your age , I have a couple of used prototypes that I could give you a good deal on . Contact me . Armorer77

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 02:27:41 PM »
SLT kota, welcome to the forum! This place is a lot of fun, but you can see the $ flying out of your wallet if your not careful! From the sounds of it, you have been infected with the Cannon and Mortar bug for quite some time now, so you are doomed! It is usually a life-long affliction!  ::)  Enjoy your self here, and these guys love to discuss the finer points of cannon and carriage making....more of an education than you dreamed of!  BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 02:52:41 PM »
A few dollars.  A lifetime of fun. ;D ;D  Any one of the products mentioned will outlast your life! :o
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline SLT kota

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 03:12:53 PM »
Thanks guys! I'm not sure if I will post up pictures of my current "cannon" unless for comic relief, it is pretty much a piece of hexagonal stock bored out and then turned on a lathe for a bit to look a little nicer, I don't think I would feel safe firing it with anything other than a blank charge but it holds up to blank charges well (well the barrel, I've had to hammer the carriage back together a few times).

I wish I could take some machining classes right now but I'm pretty loaded down with accounting and finance classes. That and for some reason they don't like you taking classes out of your major. I would really like to take some classes at the community college for fun at night after I graduate (welding, machining, and engine building), that seems like a much more viable option.

Stuart

Offline SLT kota

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 03:41:26 PM »
A few dollars.  A lifetime of fun. ;D ;D  Any one of the products mentioned will outlast your life! :o
Zulu

I agree! I'm sure I'll get some nice cannons at some point, might just be a bit.

The navy cannon I was looking at nearly tripled in price the last 4 minutes... I'm glad I wasn't it love with it.

Offline Double D

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 03:49:10 PM »
Be sure and visit sponsor listing listed in the stickies. Those guys will set you up with what you want.  We have a sponsor for each stage in your life-- college student to CEO, and every thing in between.

Offline barefiel76

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 05:08:08 PM »
When I started out I contacted Dom and showed him what I liked and how much money I had. He said he would work with me and I now have an awesome cannon that gets rave reviews. Also, there's no reason to start with a big one. Easier said than done, I know. It gives you a place to build up to.

Oh and buy this stuff before you get a "war department". Makes it easier to when you don't have to pursuade a wife what a great idea it is for you to own this stuff.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 08:11:15 PM »
Stuart, welcome to the forum. If you've got questions, these guys have the answers. Sounds like you were assimailated at a young age. Congrats.
Now's the time to start dropping hints to the relatives about what you want for an early graduation present.   ;D
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline SLT kota

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 09:28:19 PM »
I think it would be hard to convince my parents to get me a cannon for graduation though a large one would look very nice stored in their back yard next to the flag pole...

I'm thinking that I need to start off at golf ball or beer can size for now... I wonder if the local driving range has a "No Cannon" rule?  ;D

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 10:14:10 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Stuart; I read where you're watching a naval gun on an auction site, so like a total jackass, I had to go and see if I could find the cannon you were talking about, it's now two hours later and I'm no wiser for the wear, in fact I'm not even sure if I was at the same auction site that you were looking at. :D  If the auction doesn't go your way, or even if it does, there are sponsors here (as has already been said) that make some fine artillery pieces offered at very reasonable prices.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 02:02:20 AM »
When I started out I contacted Dom and showed him what I liked and how much money I had. He said he would work with me and I now have an awesome cannon that gets rave reviews. Also, there's no reason to start with a big one. Easier said than done, I know. It gives you a place to build up to.

Oh and buy this stuff before you get a "war department". Makes it easier to when you don't have to pursuade a wife what a great idea it is for you to own this stuff.

First, welcome to our forum Stuart.

I have a better idea.  Make the wife part of it all.  The last GB mortar I got from armorer77 went to my wife.  She now has her "own" mortar and she is attached to the thing.  In laymen's terms...assimilate the wife/girlfriend. Resistance is futile.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 06:36:46 AM »
Welcome Stuart ! This is the place . Rockon Arrmor77 what a nice gesture ! THAT is why this place is so special , here the people try and help each other out .

I grew up in Donaldson Tenn and Charlotte NC , as a kid we visted Rock City , Ruby Falls , and the battlefields at least twice .  Once as an adult with my wife Deanna ,I love Ruby Falls .

With a small mortar a few golfballs and a few hundred grains of powder you can have more fun that Should be allowed !

Gary

Yacht Club ! ......... now im jealous !

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline grymster

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 06:49:53 AM »
Excellent advice! Sure, get the spouse in on it if you can, but for a young one, it's always better to "set the tone" for the relationship right up front. I've been married for nearly thirty years and while she's a sweetheart, she really has no use for some of the hobbies I've developed over the years. Another thing I've noticed is that my signing authority seems inversely proportional to my income generation. I used to spend a thousand dollars and she'd say "Oh, OK.... what do you want for dinner?". Now, if I spend 150 bucks, she has questions.  :)
grym

Offline SLT kota

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2010, 09:09:25 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Stuart; I read where you're watching a naval gun on an auction site, so like a total jackass, I had to go and see if I could find the cannon you were talking about, it's now two hours later and I'm no wiser for the wear, in fact I'm not even sure if I was at the same auction site that you were looking at. :D  If the auction doesn't go your way, or even if it does, there are sponsors here (as has already been said) that make some fine artillery pieces offered at very reasonable prices.

HAHA! I left out the particular auction site on purpose for that very reason but I didn't get the cannon. It was ebay though so not to hard to find. When I originally posted it was 38 dollars, then with 5 minutes left it was at 50 dollars. In the last two minutes it jumped to 167 dollars! It needed a new carriage and was only a 7in gun. I'm good though, Armorer77 is giving me a great deal on a Mortar, I'm so excited! I'm already looking for old golf balls... uh... I mean ammo.

The girlfriend is good about me having toys, I asked her what she would think if I built a bowling ball mortar (hoping a golf ball mortar would sound great in comparison) and she just said "as long as you don't blow yourself up, do whatever you want"

Has anyone ever shot the floating golf balls? Could there be any legality issues shooting onto an lake (When the lake is EMPTY) if it is within 100-150 yards? People hit golf balls out into it all the time and they can reach that kind of distance easily. I plan to shoot at a range but just a thought as my parents do live on a lake.
Thanks,
Stuart

EDIT: What kind of measuring device do you guys recommend?

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 09:34:45 AM »
I suggest 1-10 , and it sounds like your GF is a 10 ! ;D

Unless you really know your stuff I'd stay away from auctions .

You can use varrious carrtidge cases for devices a .38 speical is @ 25 grs the would be a good place to start in an arrmor77 GB mortar .

He tried to blow up a cannon some months ago ..... he tried really hard .....no blow .

Gary

ETA you can solder a wire handle (coat hanger) or wrap it in string with epoxy .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 11:46:53 AM »
HAHA! I left out the particular auction site on purpose for that very reason but I didn't get the cannon. It was ebay though so not to hard to find. When I originally posted it was 38 dollars, then with 5 minutes left it was at 50 dollars. In the last two minutes it jumped to 167 dollars! It needed a new carriage and was only a 7in gun. I'm good though, Armorer77 is giving me a great deal on a Mortar, I'm so excited! I'm already looking for old golf balls... uh... I mean ammo.

The girlfriend is good about me having toys, I asked her what she would think if I built a bowling ball mortar (hoping a golf ball mortar would sound great in comparison) and she just said "as long as you don't blow yourself up, do whatever you want"

Ah ha, but that is the site I was looking at, and I''ll bet that the naval gun you were interested in was the one with a small brass barrel that someone had fired mucho times without ever having bothered to clean the vent field. If it was that one, you've got good taste, that is a nice looking cannon, but I think you're far better off with one of Ed's GB mortars.
As for getting other parties to; buy for you, give you permission to buy, agree to your using, participate in using with you, etc., some form of artillery, then I can only tell you about three small, but potent words: Quid pro quo. When my wife says to me, you spent what on that, then I know she's going to go out and buy something for herself, and that's fine with me; fair is fair.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 01:27:14 PM »

I'd be real careful here, not shooting bowling balls or golf balls...sounds like the girl friend is getting ready to set the hook, that happens and all is lost!!!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2010, 01:44:42 PM »
So what kind of cannons/mortars does your girl friend shoot?   ;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline SLT kota

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2010, 03:05:54 PM »
I suggest 1-10 , and it sounds like your GF is a 10 ! Grin

Unless you really know your stuff I'd stay away from auctions .

You can use varrious carrtidge cases for devices a .38 speical is @ 25 grs the would be a good place to start in an arrmor77 GB mortar .

He tried to blow up a cannon some months ago ..... he tried really hard .....no blow .

Gary

ETA you can solder a wire handle (coat hanger) or wrap it in string with epoxy .

Well I think she is a ten as well!

As far as the auction, I wasn't going to jump unless I could get something for a crazy deal. Thanks for the .38 special idea, I think 25 grains should be a good start! I'm sure that will make a golf ball fly pretty well. In the golf ball competition thread I read about someone shooting 6.5 grains, how do you measure that small? Also, what do you mean with the coat hanger and string? A way to dip into the black powder can?
Oh, and I've read the thread where he tried blowing up one of his cannons, I was sold after seeing it and I've wanted one of his ever since!

I'd be real careful here, not shooting bowling balls or golf balls...sounds like the girl friend is getting ready to set the hook, that happens and all is lost!!!
I'm not worried, she is younger then I and doesn't want to tie the knot for a long time.

So what kind of cannons/mortars does your girl friend shoot?   Grin
Hopefully a GB mortar from Armorer77  ;D Now just to figure out how to get her over not liking loud noises.... I guess I need to get some earmuffs for her.

My next dilemma... where do I shoot it long distance? I don't think my buddies' range would like a golf ball mortar on their high powered range. I could shoot out over the lake but I'm slightly worried about making the neighbors mad. There is a channel marker about 70 yards or so out that would make a great target.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2010, 03:53:31 PM »
Poor ,poor little channel marker , alas i knew him well . :D

I bet a fox ball plunging from 700 feet will ring its bell ........  ;)  :o

But that would be wrong and you should never shoot at a navigational aid . Bad juju for sure .    It IS a navagational aid ...right ?     a state marker with the resources to riase it and look for fox holes or an ancient derilict that IS a nav hazzard ?  8)

Some of the answers are fuzzy in nature to be sure .......and of course I wouldnt do it and you shouldnt either  :D

Now Tracy ...I can only hope he doesnt figure out the joys of ringing a channel marker (it does sound navigational    kinda :D ) because he has wanted to sink something big and steel for sometime now , about 60 years .

Offline Double D

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2010, 04:15:17 PM »
Get yourself one of these inexpensive   Digital scales and one of these adjustable blackpowder measure.

Us the powder to weigh out a charge and adjust the powder measure.  Do not rely on the markings on the measure for accuracy.  You can also use the scale to verify weights in thing like cartridge cases.  

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2010, 10:32:49 PM »
What loud noises ? These little mortars are almost quiet . Armorer77

Offline Double D

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2010, 03:43:50 AM »
And the little guns are addictive.  Couple Months ago South paw and I spent half the morning with temperatures in the teens shooting a steel golf ball ball.  One ball, 7 or 8 shoots...I was really having fun, because it was Southpaws powder and Southpaw fuse.   ;D.

Our wives were sitting in the warm house drinking coffee watching us freeze our butts of and having a great time...my wife called us idiots when we came in the house. Idiot's we may be, but idiot's having a good time.