Author Topic: New guy!  (Read 2311 times)

Offline SLT kota

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: New guy!
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2010, 04:47:35 AM »
What loud noises ? These little mortars are almost quiet . Armorer77

Sweet! I knew they were quieter then cannons but figured they were still loud. Hopefully the cranky neighbors will like flying golf balls more then the hunters with 12ga's at 7am. I'm thinking that I could have a lot of fun with floating golf balls, I could see where they land and compare different powder sizes (and retrieve my ammo). Thanks again for selling me one of your prototypes! That made things a lot easier for me.

DD, I know what you mean about being called an idiot, it seems like I people call us that or crazy when we are having the most fun! I also know what you mean about being addicting, I placed my order with Ed after 6 post, and now with 9 post I've already been logged on over 20 hours and have dug through the first 25 pages of threads.
Thanks for posting the links as well! I already have a pretty accurate scale but it doesn't do grains, is it ok to measure by weight?

Also, I looked but didn't see anything, is there any sort of mortar loading/firing/cleaning 101 thread? I've found a lot of information on cannons but not much on mortar basics and I believe there are quite a few differences. (I haven't gotten it yet but I want to know as much as possible before firing so I can be as safe as possible)

Thanks to everyone for helping me get into this sport!

Offline SLT kota

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2010, 04:56:10 AM »
Welcome Stuart ! This is the place . Rockon Arrmor77 what a nice gesture ! THAT is why this place is so special , here the people try and help each other out .

I grew up in Donaldson Tenn and Charlotte NC , as a kid we visted Rock City , Ruby Falls , and the battlefields at least twice .  Once as an adult with my wife Deanna ,I love Ruby Falls .

With a small mortar a few golfballs and a few hundred grains of powder you can have more fun that Should be allowed !

Gary

Yacht Club ! ......... now im jealous !

Thats where I grew up! My third grade teacher's grandmother was Ruby (her husband discovered it).
The yacht club was fun but nothing to be jealous of, being low man on the totem pole to 130+ rich people who all thought they were your boss could get old quickly, but it was a fun job for high school. (and being around girls in bikini's all day wasn't too bad either)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2010, 05:06:18 AM »
The string/thread and epoxy is instead of soldering , yes its a little handle to dip into a 'quantity' of BP .

I use a pill bottle ae a resivour ,dip the shell into the pill bottle .

By the way (I spelled it)     Cause THIS IS important ,no joking ! NEVER NEVER pour directly from the 1lb can of black powder into the cannon barrel , not even from a smaller vessel like a powderhorn .

Basicly you want as little powder in your hand as possible IF a spark was still glowing and the lose stream of powder lit so will the powder can .

This is no joke I have seen the powder horns that blown up at rendevous . As a muzzle loader I would never  were one while sitting near the fire . I know for a fact of one that blew up while still being worn as the plug had come up he was dribbling and walled by the fire .....BLAM

6.8 grains would be a .22 longrifle case cut down to just above a shorts length . I shoot 8 grains from my crackercannons and that is how i made my measure . You definatly need a scale and file and measure ,file and measure .

here is a tip ,make the handle big becase a cut down .22 case is easy to lose .

Gary

eta as far as cleaning its a hose some dishsoap some hot water ...to get the steel hot (oven works too) so the water evaporates and dosnt rust .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2010, 05:08:15 AM »
sounds like I got to find me a yatch club   ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline SLT kota

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2010, 09:12:47 AM »
Where can I find proper loading / firing techniques for mortars? I've found a lot of information on cannons but not much for mortars and I believe they are quite different ways of loading and firing them. I've heard that you don't put the gun powder in aluminum foil for mortars but rather pour it down the tube. Do you still mop between loads?
Sorry for all the questions but I want to be as safe as possible.
Thanks,
Stuart

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2010, 09:18:07 AM »
You don''t need foil for mortars, but you can use it.   All and maybe I should make the capitals, ALL other safety procedures apply, 100%!!!!

Offline SLT kota

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2010, 09:37:28 AM »
Thanks! I thought that was the case but wasn't sure. Any suggestions for making something to mop a golf ball mortar?

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2010, 09:42:59 AM »
For this sized chamber just buy a 12 ga. swab .

Offline SLT kota

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2010, 04:38:39 AM »
Thanks! I'll add that to the list of things to pick up at the gun store. BTW your money order should be to you today or tomorrow.

Offline SLT kota

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2010, 05:10:44 AM »
I'm getting so excited! I think I'm only missing a few things, anything jumping out to you guys that I will need?

Missing:
Golf Balls
Black powder
Measuring device

On its way:
Mops for 10/12 gauge (two)
3 piece rod kit for mops
Fuse
Armorer77 Golf ball mortar!

Can I weigh black powder on a normal postage scale or do I need a specific black powder scale?

Offline Double D

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2010, 05:57:00 AM »
I don't think a postal scale is accurate enough, but check...you want to weigh in a range of 20  to 100 or so grains.

I have had my eye on these two:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=438260

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=175512

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2010, 08:42:20 AM »
I have a five-pound electronic postal scale and it's only accurate to 1/8 ounce (about 55 gr). This is most definitely not an acceptable margin of error for sub-scale artillery charges. I use it for its intended purpose, shipping, and occasionally in the kitchen to weigh out meat or seafood. It's no powder scale to be sure.

The prices on decent electronic bullet/powder scales have dropped drastically over the past few years, to the point that it's hard to justify not having one.

Get one. I don't really like the 'pocket' scales but that's just a matter of personal preference.

This is the one I use:

Good scale, bad photo. This one has a 1500 grain capacity, and will also read in grams, ounces, etc.

You can buy a similar one now for considerably less than I paid for this one years ago.

Once you have it, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2010, 06:13:58 PM »
I'd go with Terry's advice on this one, do a search for powder scale or grain scale, there are decent digital scales now offered at reasonable prices. I got a 'Frankford Arsenal" (Midway USA) pocket scale for around $25. Most of the time I still use my trusty old RCBS balance beam magnetic scale.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Asron87

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2010, 04:42:58 PM »
Hey Stuart. Sounds like you found the right place to start your new hobby. I'll be going to college this fall and plan on buying some cannons before I get there. I know I'll be broke so I plan on getting my "toys" early (figuratively speaking, cannons are not toys). I bought a beer can mortar from blackpowder-cannons.com and I plan on buying a gf cannon from armorer77. I'm kind of in the some boat as you. I didn't know much about cannons until I found greybeard outdoors. The people here are great and will answer any question you'll have. We both got ourselves a mortar. What do you plan on using to worm the bore?

I'd recommend ordering "The More Complete Cannoneer". I found it at dixiegunworks.com I didn't order it myself yet but plan on it this coming week.
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=3347

I ordered fuse from connonfuse.com
http://www.cannonfuse.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1&idcategory=2

I also ordered a Black Powder Measure from MidwayUSA.com but found out shipping and handling was $11.66 so you might want to go somewhere else or use a different method.
https://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=431413

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2010, 05:55:52 PM »
Dixie has the book in stock?

For a long time they were unavailable, anywhere. If Dixie does in fact have a new supply, that's good news indeed. A lot of members have been waiting, some for quite awhile, to get their hands on a copy.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2010, 06:09:32 PM »
Not only Dixie but the Loomis Battery site is showing it also!  ;D

http://www.museumandcollector.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemid=58
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Asron87

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2010, 06:29:49 PM »
Not only Dixie but the Loomis Battery site is showing it also!  ;D

http://www.museumandcollector.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemid=58

It says its out of stock at the bottom. I'm also not sure if Dixie has it in stock or not, I emailed them but did not get a reply. I tried ordering it after I got done working a 12 hour night shift. I didn't get a confirmation email saying it was ordered. So maybe in my half conscious state of mind I messed up somehow and didn't order it, or maybe it is out of stock. Today was my first day off and I've been spending the time catching up on GBO. This place is the only thing keeping me sane.

Thanks,
Aaron

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2010, 07:31:36 PM »
 :-[   O.k.  I bad ....... My mistake........ I go stand in the corner now and hang my head in shame...........
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2010, 07:42:14 PM »
:-[   O.k.  I bad ....... My mistake........ I go stand in the corner now and hang my head in shame...........

Go stand in the corner?  You can't there is no room....the rest of us  were here first!

Offline SLT kota

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2010, 08:18:20 AM »
I got my mortar last weekend! I'm so excited! It is BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Armorer77's work is amazing! I have been busy with exams so I have not had any time to post pictures. All I have for now is a bad cell phone picture. It doesn't do the mortar justice but is a little teaser til I can get good pictures next week.

I haven't gotten black powder yet so I had to grab something else for scale.

My old cannon stayed in the corner of my garage, this one will be proudly displayed on my desk between shoots, it is beautiful!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2010, 10:13:26 AM »
That's the ticket!
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.