Author Topic: Cut Bank Cannon Convention, II August 20-21 2011 in Montana  (Read 23403 times)

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Cut Bank Cannon Convention, II August 20-21 2011 in Montana
« on: April 21, 2010, 06:41:20 PM »

Maximum range 250 yards

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
Re: Possible Montana Cannon shoot site 2011
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 07:14:19 PM »
     Think you need a few captions here DD.  So I take it that the top image is an enlargement of the yellow stick-pin location on the bottom image.  Correct or not?  If so, are you fellows taking over a half mile oval dirt stock car track, or what.  Do you flood the center area and have naval battles like the Romans or what?  Or are you planning on shooting cannons from speeding vehicles at stationary targets posted in the infield, or what??

Looks like it's a pretty good location and close to Cut Bank.  That's good.  Who owns it and are they asking for big bucks or not?

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Online Double D

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 07:50:58 PM »
It is the old race track up at the airport.  2.5 miles from my house.

The oval is mostly below ground level. Length is 250 yards, width 150 yards.  Negotiations are under way and it is very likely we will be moving to this site.  We are working on a long term lease that will allow us to get grants from Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks, NRA and the National Shooting Sport Foundation  to build ranges, firing lines access roads etc. 

To look it over go to Google Earth    48°36'24.39"N  112°21'30.35"W

The curves are 30 degree banked.    The plan is to straighten out the curves.   The right side curve will be the impact zone. Left side the firing line.  The 30 degree bank will have to be cut back for the firing line.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 09:48:37 PM »
Sounds like a lot of earth moving; usually expensive unless a participant owns a large Caterpillar.

Did you investigate the river bottom a few miles south of there?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 10:55:29 PM »
It is the old race track up at the airport.

Does Southpaw have any old souped up go-karts stored under dusty tarps in his shed? :D
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 05:16:38 AM »
Sounds like a lot of earth moving; usually expensive unless a participant owns a large Caterpillar.

Did you investigate the river bottom a few miles south of there?

Well if they are able to get grants they may also avial themselves of DMRO I know of both municipal and non profits
that have gotten equipment from the surplus system so that would be a source for a CAT. and other goodies.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 07:14:38 AM »
why not dig into the bank and make it into a burm instead of flattenning it Doug ?

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Online Double D

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 08:37:13 AM »
The grants  will cover the basic earth work...some of the grants are matching and includes volunteer labor,material and equipment. some restrictions on labor and equipment fees, for instance, volunteer labor can only be charged at $10 a hour.  

The land hunt has been on for some time.  State School trust lands were looked at and found. Beyond agricultural use, they are prohibitively expensive.  

Bottom land with few exceptions is not flat ground, and if it is flat it is cultivated. If the ground around here is good enough for a rifle range it is good enough for farming.  There is a reluctance to grant a lease for the club by private land owners.  The don't have aversion to a shooting club, they are just reluctant to grant access to their property to people they don't know.

We don't have our non profit status yet, but should by years end.

We are only going to dig out the west end for a firing line, the east will be the impact zone.  Both ends right now ar 30 degree bank turns.

There is plan to put a berm down the middle so half the range could be use for pistols and half for rifle all at the same time

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 05:17:39 PM »
There is a plan to put a berm down the middle so half the range could be use for pistols and half for rifle all at the same time.

That would be a good way to get rid of the dirt that gets dug up rather than having to pay someone to haul it away.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 01:13:36 AM »
I believe you rather need to use all dirt there to build a back stop for the balls
maybe 15 ft high to be sure that not anyone shoot over it
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Online Double D

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 03:02:30 AM »
I believe you rather need to use all dirt there to build a back stop for the balls
maybe 15 ft high to be sure that not anyone shoot over it

Since the track sits at the bottom of a 30 foot deep hole  we are not worried about back stop.

We do want to be able to shot hand gins and rifles at the same time without interfering with each other

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 03:29:40 AM »
he he he , sorry it didnt show on the pictures  ;D
then you really have found a perfect place , cant be better then that
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Online Double D

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 03:53:20 AM »
Well, that's what they told me...I have only ever seen it from the out side, not the inside.  Hang in here I'm going to run up to the track and take some flat ground pictures and dispel the myths. 

Be back in few minutes.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 04:46:28 AM »
"dispel the myths"

If it was a myth ....I'd have heard of it ,Dan too and we would already know how it looked  ..... what you have there is only common rumor . ;D

sorry couldnt resist .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Online Double D

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 04:51:47 AM »
Well I went up and looked around.  I won't buy 30 feet deep.  The track is about 30 feet wide by old guy pacing and reported as 30 degree bank.  If  I did my right triangle math right that is only 15 feet deep.

One thing I did notice was the wind was blowing and making the 36 degrees F feel a whole lot colder, but once you moved down into the bottom the of track the wind was blocked and should make a good place to shoot.

Road into track

Looking north to south across the range-mid range.

From SW corner of butts to west and firing line.

From west end Firing line to east end butts.

Looking west to where the firing line would be.

East end Butts-impact area.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
Southpaw have any old souped up go-karts

If you look to the lower right of the top photo , You will see the site that looks a bit like an "8"
That was where I ran my last  Lawn mower Race  After 4 first place wins I retired . I have the distinction of having the fastest 8 hp stock riding lawn mower in the Rocky Mountain Regional Sta-Bil  Race circuit . Back in the early-mid 90's  .My last race was in 97 . In 98 my son in law took it to a blistering first place also . I believe 98 was the last year run in Cut Bank and in this region .  I qualified all 5 races to compete in the nationals in Illinois . It always held on labor day that  is harvest time here.
The second place winner did go one year .
I lost one year out of the 5 to a mower with modifications not allowed . Judges got tired of me winning I guess .  ::)
Got a picture here some where with my "Monkey Wards" speedster.  The balance of the season it mowed my dads yard .  He was proud of the fact he had the fasted lawn service in town.  ;D
I still have the mower in the shed.
The modified ones were a real hoot to watch . I believe the "Garden Gangsters " were the top class in in the nationals a couple years running . They were from the eastern part of Montana . ( Glascow)
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 09:53:35 AM »
Should mention that the site is on the Black Foot Indian reservation . DD said he would not hunt there because of restrictive laws . Wonder about rifle range and the BF tribal council input ?   

Online Double D

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 10:18:51 AM »
Reservation has no rules to restrict us shooting...first question I had!

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 05:21:20 AM »
Looking @ pictures , It would seem if one is firing to the east and missed it would not be too bad of an incident.  ::)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 09:16:05 PM »
You know, Southpaw, I was half way serious about you maybe having one of those open wheeled dirt track racers, but I never figured on a stock ride-on lawn mower racer. :D  I've seen videos of races with both the stock and souped up versions on TV, and those modified ride-ons are wild.
When I was a kid, a buddy and me made a go-kart out of a ride-on mower frame, and a Briggs and Stratton 5-hp with a cetrifugal clutch. I hadn't thought about that kart for a long time, we had a lot of fun with the thing. :)
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Online Double D

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2010, 06:41:26 PM »
Well it looks like we are going to get the old race track for a range.  We are hoping that we will be able to get the range open by fall.  We have applied for some grants for range improvements.

We will only be able to shoot about 200 yards. I was pointedly asked at the club meeting if that would be a problem for the cannons.  I really didn't understand the the tone of the question, but said yes 200 yards would be just fine.....I still wonder what would have been said if I had said no. 

Right now I am starting the tentative brain storming for a shoot in June or August 2011.

What is your preference, June or August.

So who is interested in coming?

Rough idea for shooting.  Saturday open range day.  Sunday Fun target shoot- shooting at targets to destroy them.  Forts, ships gongs what have you.  Postal shoot.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2010, 07:25:30 PM »
Probably come (too far ahead for any serious plans.)  Would like longer range but not the end of the world.

Same time as last one is fine with me (second weekend of August.)
GG
--Winston Churchill

Online Double D

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2010, 04:33:53 AM »
Probably come (too far ahead for any serious plans.)  Would like longer range but not the end of the world.

Same time as last one is fine with me (second weekend of August.)

To far ahead for hard planning, yes, but not to far ahead to to think about and talk about..

Offline Asron87

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2010, 12:45:36 AM »
DD,

I like to make hiking trips to Montana every summer before College starts back up for the year. Within the first two weeks of August would be ideal for me, anything later wouldn't work out. If it was scheduled for early August I can guarantee I would be there along with a couple of my friends. June would be a little harder but you could still count me in. It would be a days drive well worth it.

Thanks,
Aaron

Online Double D

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2010, 05:19:15 AM »
Sounds great Aaron!

Maybe we can get George to set up the Zinc Foundry again.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2010, 09:13:16 AM »
Long as we don't have to be crawling around on the ground, this time.   ;D
GG
--Winston Churchill

Online Double D

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2010, 09:44:13 AM »
Long as we don't have to be crawling around on the ground, this time.   ;D

I suppose that means you want a table?  are you bringing one?  Dimensions?

Offline Asron87

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2010, 12:02:15 AM »
Is there going to be a cannon shoot this year in Montana?

Online Double D

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2010, 04:18:39 AM »
Is there going to be a cannon shoot this year in Montana?

No organized shoot in Montana this year.  The organized shoot this year is in Floyd Va.

We will be shooting off and on  our own...I hope to get out this week and do some shooting of the SAMCC gun.  4th of July  coming and that is a time to celebrate don't know what neighbor Ernie has in mind for the day, but he is very patriotic.

Still have Mr. Rudy's ashes to fire.

If you are going to be in the area, bring your gun.  You can get a day use pass for the gun club and we can go out an shoot.

What size and type cannon do you have?

Offline Asron87

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2010, 12:44:04 PM »
DD,

I have one of Dom's can sized mortars. I plan on buying a golf ball cannon later this summer, but I was laid off earlier than expected. So now my time off is cutting into my cannon/hiking/college funds. So if you know of any jobs let me know. I'm thinking me and a couple friends will be in Montana hiking in late July or early August, but who knows, we might even go earlier due to our schedules. I'd be up for shooting some cannons with you, I wouldn't mind shooting with someone who knows what they're doing. 

Thanks,
Aaron