Author Topic: Cut Bank Cannon Convention, II August 20-21 2011 in Montana  (Read 23374 times)

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Possible Montana Cannon shoot site 2011
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2010, 01:04:28 PM »
Concentrate on your education!  Get that degree it will open doors and make you a better future and you will be able to buy better cannons.

If you are going to be in the area, let me know and we will set something up.

Offline Asron87

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2010, 07:45:17 PM »
My college is set in stone this coming year (signed up and college loans). I was just hoping to make enough money this summer for a GB cannon and a hiking trip. All work and no play, for an entire summer, just doesn't sound right. I will definitely let you know if I'm in the area, I'm only one state away (North Dakota). Hopefully everything works out :)

Online Double D

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2010, 07:53:29 PM »
My college is set in stone this coming year (signed up and college loans). I was just hoping to make enough money this summer for a GB cannon and a hiking trip. All work and no play, for an entire summer, just doesn't sound right. I will definitely let you know if I'm in the area, I'm only one state away (North Dakota). Hopefully everything works out :)

Got giggle out of that one state away bit...back east you are 8 states away.

Offline Asron87

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2010, 12:08:48 PM »
I thought we were talking about Montana? I was way off lol.

Online Double D

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2010, 12:16:13 PM »
Yes Montana!

The distance from where you are in ND to where I am in MT, one state away, covers several states on the east coast...

Offline Asron87

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2010, 12:52:55 PM »
lol now I got ya.

Online Double D

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2010, 08:29:57 AM »
I suppose I better clarify...I just posted over in the Postal Match thread that I want to have structured events at next years shoot.

The idea I have in mind is Saturday will be an open shoot;  sight you gun in, test loads, make smoke and fire and have some great fellowship.

Sunday, some structured events.  A SAMCC shoot.  Shoot the Ship!.  Lay siege to the fort!  Anything else we might be able to come up with.

Why?

First I am not interested in competitive shooting and the baggage it brings with it.  At the other end of the scale, smoke and fire  is what draws me to this shooting. Add a projectile to the mix and the thrill level goes up a notch.  Mortars are fun to shoot because you can see the ball fly.  Cannons get boring real fast just flinging balls down with no results.  But after a while even mortars can become yawners.  Might take longer to get the yawner state watching S.C.A Monstre Mortar shoot.  But the ho hum stage can be reached.

So whats the next logical step...Okay you can make smoke and fire and toss things down range, but can you hit anything?  If you can hit something, what happens when you do hit something.

The SAMCC shoot is one way to do that.  It also provides venue for the small guns.  If we don't structure for the small guns the bigger guns will over shadow the  little guns.  

Shoot the Ship!  I want to build wooden ship; mast, sail the whole nine yards.  May be two ships.  One larger ship  for 1 inch and larger gun using sights in the spirit of the originals.  And a smaller ship for under 1 inch.

Anybody have a bunch of old used red bricks, they might want to donate and haul to Montana  to build a fort?  

Remember these?  

My One inch gun knocked them down pretty good, the little .50 cal rang them, but couldn't knock them down.

I'd like to get another set 1/2 the size and 1/4 inch thick for the small cannons, any body have the steel and time to donate?

Anybody have any better ideas?

Online Double D

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2010, 05:16:15 AM »
For those of you who are all excited about after reading all about the big shoot CW just held in Virginia, do fret there will a shoot on the western side of the country next year.  

Start thinking August 2011 in Montana.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2010, 06:20:12 AM »
Start thinking August 2010 in Montana.

August 2010 is only a month away. Do you mean 2011?  Just trying to keep you honest, DD.   ;D
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Online Double D

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2010, 07:07:46 AM »
Start thinking August 2010 in Montana.

August 2010 is only a month away. Do you mean 2011?  Just trying to keep you honest, DD.   ;D

Ah-ha somebody is reading this, 2011 of course...

We are starting work on the new range and hope to have it ready to use by the cannon shoot, it not we will shoot at the old range. But we will shoot next year.

We are also in the process of getting our No-profit organization ta status.  When we get that, then, we are told if you make a donation to the club we can give you a receipt for a deduction on your taxes.

Online Double D

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2010, 08:09:16 AM »
Zulu mention in the Virginia shoot post that Houston is a long ways from Virginia and Montana and he is right. 

I did a map quest for travel between he two locations and Virginia is closer to Houston.  Looking at route to VA and back there is a bunch of stuff to see an do along the way.  Instead of making it a weekend shoot...may be make the shoot one stop on a vacation trip.

Here is the map quest like for Houston-Roanoke-Houston. http://www.mapquest.com/mq/1-HPkCxUF1 I didn't add the sights and stops along that route, because I haven't explored them.

There is a lot of ground to cover to get to Montana, and a lot to see, they are just further apart than east of the Mississippi.   The geography is very different.  A suggested itinerary from Houston to Cut Bank would be: http://www.mapquest.com/mq/7-q7VeZHo280N5wRl8

From Houston go to Cody, WY.

From Cody go through Yellowstone to West Yellowstone, MT.  From West Yellowstone go north via the Big hole, past the Big Hole Battle field, and nice rest stop to Missoula. Missoula to Kalispell and the west entrance of Glacier Park.  Take the Going-to-the-Sun road over Logan Pass to St. Mary.  Then north to Babb, and to Many Glacier.

From Babb you can drive Cut Bank.  From Cut bank  go east a bit to Shelby and south on the freeway to Great Falls . From Great Falls to Billings and south to Crow Agency for a stop at the Little Big Horn Battle Field.  From Little Big Horn, to Devils Tower, just north of Moorcroft, WY.  From Moorcraft over to Rapid City, SD and down to Mt. Rushmore.  From Mt Rushmore, down to Douglas, WY, through Custer, State Park. and catch the freeway back to  Houston.

Big trip but well worth it. Don't forget to stop at the Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo.  They will give you a free 72 oz steak if you can eat in one hour.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2010, 09:09:33 AM »
I have eaten at the Big Texan many times.  Never tried to eat the 72 oz. steak.  The youngest person to eat one was a 12 year old girl.  Some professional wrestler ate 2 :o
Amarillo is my home town.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Online Double D

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2010, 09:36:06 AM »
I have eaten at the Big Texan many times.  Never tried to eat the 72 oz. steak.  The youngest person to eat one was a 12 year old girl.  Some professional wrestler ate 2 :o
Amarillo is my home town.
Zulu

Thing I noticed, was the pictures of the 72 oz eaters, lots of little old ladies. Stop there eat the steak, and you wouldn't need to stop and eat for 24 hours or more... ;D

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2010, 01:13:09 AM »
but you will need to stop and do something totally different at least every second hour after that steak   ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2010, 04:26:03 PM »
So is the club progressing with their new range site?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Online Double D

« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2010, 04:32:40 PM »
We will shoot on the new range.  We don't have meeting in September and October.  We have applied for matching grants for some of the work.

Online Double D

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2010, 09:02:20 AM »
We have tentatively been approved for a matching grant from Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks for range improvement , subject to a 30 day public comment period.

Haven't heard any thing yet on the Tax exempt- non profit organization status yet.

As a fund raiser I am going to work on having a hole in one contest for golf ball mortars at the Cannon shoot.  I will go over to the golf club and see if I can borrow a cup and flag.  I'll set it down range at some arbitrary but not close distance.  You can buy a ball for a buck and take a shot at the pin.  I would like to start the pot at $50, with the buck a ball added to the pot.  Score a hole in one and 50-50 split the pot with the club.   

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2010, 02:43:31 PM »
That's a great idea.  Unfortunately, my largest bore is 1.5".  I guess I need a new cannon... ;D

Online Double D

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2010, 03:33:15 PM »
That's a great idea.  Unfortunately, my largest bore is 1.5".  I guess I need a new cannon... ;D

Well a golf ball mortar at least.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2010, 05:29:38 PM »
Good thing you're limiting is to gb size. A bowling ball would obliterate both the cup and the flag.    ;D
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Online Double D

« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
Bowling ball is a no brainer...10 pins score a strike wins the pot.

Southpaw and tried that. The ball bounce over the pins.

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2010, 08:05:37 PM »
Hmm...how to get the right spin on the bowling ball... ;D

Online Double D

Re: Montana Cannon shoot site 2011
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2010, 03:14:52 PM »
On Sunday we will have a South African Miniature Cannon shoot.  It will be the the first event of the day.  Later that day we will shoot at a fort or ship or maybe both.

Online Double D

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2010, 06:40:34 PM »
We got the grant from Fish and wildlife.  We have discussed some idea's for the range.  This years plan is to get the clean up and debris removed, dirt work, build a fence, gate access road and parking lot.

Our grant is for $8000 matching.  We spend a $1, FWP will match the dollar.  

Club members donated labor is credited at  $10 an hour.  So if I work 1 hour  FWP will provide $10 in matching funds.  

I wasn't at the  October meeting as I was over in Oregon taking care of my Dad.  While I was gone they elected me to the Board of Directors.

I made a very bold statement at the meeting the other night.  I said I didn't care when we were finished, I was holding a Cannon shoot on the Range next August no matter where the project stood. Just give me a piece of ground 50 yards wide and 200 yards long

That raised some eyebrows.  One fellow made the comment if the range wasn't ready I could just hold the shoot at the old range.    I said no.  I was promised flat ground for the last shoot and I didn't get it.  We shoot on the rough ground and it was okay for Mortars but unsatisfactory for cannons.

I said  I have plans to build a Fort on the new range and blow the crap out of it with the cannons and mortars...the  Club President said I hope you plan on cleaning up aferwards....I just smiled.

Completely different attitude than two years ago.  So start planning you trip to  Montana next August.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2010, 06:51:34 PM »
Send you a check to match some funds?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2010, 07:04:05 PM »
That sounds good . But why is the subject 'cannon shoot 2012' ? instead 2011 .

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Online Double D

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2010, 07:18:49 PM »
Thanks Gary, it late...fixed thanks.

No not yet George.  We have our part of the $8000 in the club treasury.  We plan on making our part as much volunteer as po ssible.

We are waiting on our non profit tax status from the  IRS and then we will be able to issue you a receipt for your donation and it will be tax deductible.

Donations of things like steel gong targets would be tax deductible.

Online Double D

« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2010, 06:01:40 PM »
Some scenery you can expect to see in Montana.   See Southpaw out there....

Online Double D

« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2010, 07:00:39 AM »
How does the weekend of 20-21 August 2011 sound for Cut  Bank  Cannon  Convention II?

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2010, 08:04:26 AM »
     Sounds like a great date for us DD.  It might even give us a chance to build Something to shoot those fantastic steel golf balls you worked so hard to give us access to.  Besides the finally finished, 1/6 scale, 7" Treble-Banded Brooke Seacoast and Naval Rifle, we will be bringing another 1 Incher with us too, never before seen by man or beast.  That's right Dom, we hereby promise to show off your beautiful work and our sights and gun lock on it when we display and shoot the 1" bore, scale, 9" Dahlgren Shell Gun and Iron, Marsilly Naval Carriage that you built for us almost 2 years ago!

Our deliveries to the Midwest and the East Coast will be completed by August 10th, so we will head to the Big Sky Country soon after getting back to Colorado.  Can't wait!  Hope to see what your Castle or Fort target will look like.  Will it have internal pyrotechnics??

Tracy and Mike

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling