Author Topic: Cut Bank Cannon Convention, II August 20-21 2011 in Montana  (Read 23373 times)

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Montana Cannon shoot site 2011
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2010, 10:35:08 AM »
How does the weekend of 20-21 August 2011 sound for Cut Bank Cannon Convention II?

Sounds OK to me.  Come early and help set up (or cast beer can zinc shot.)
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2010, 11:51:40 AM »
     Sounds like a great date for us DD.  It might even give us a chance to build Something to shoot those fantastic steel golf balls you worked so hard to give us access to.  Besides the finally finished, 1/6 scale, 7" Treble-Banded Brooke Seacoast and Naval Rifle, we will be bringing another 1 Incher with us too, never before seen by man or beast.  That's right Dom, we hereby promise to show off your beautiful work and our sights and gun lock on it when we display and shoot the 1" bore, scale, 9" Dahlgren Shell Gun and Iron, Marsilly Naval Carriage that you built for us almost 2 years ago!

Our deliveries to the Midwest and the East Coast will be completed by August 10th, so we will head to the Big Sky Country soon after getting back to Colorado.  Can't wait!  Hope to see what your Castle or Fort target will look like.  Will it have internal pyrotechnics??

Tracy and Mike

Cool!  Can't wait to see both completed guns.

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2010, 01:19:56 PM »
     Sounds like a great date for us DD.  It might even give us a chance to build Something to shoot those fantastic steel golf balls you worked so hard to give us access to.  Besides the finally finished, 1/6 scale, 7" Treble-Banded Brooke Seacoast and Naval Rifle, we will be bringing another 1 Incher with us too, never before seen by man or beast.  That's right Dom, we hereby promise to show off your beautiful work and our sights and gun lock on it when we display and shoot the 1" bore, scale, 9" Dahlgren Shell Gun and Iron, Marsilly Naval Carriage that you built for us almost 2 years ago!

Our deliveries to the Midwest and the East Coast will be completed by August 10th, so we will head to the Big Sky Country soon after getting back to Colorado.  Can't wait!  Hope to see what your Castle or Fort target will look like.  Will it have internal pyrotechnics??

Tracy and Mike

Cool!  Can't wait to see both completed guns.

Did you mean to say
Cool!  Can't wait to see both completed guns, in person!

I hope.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2010, 06:30:30 PM »
I will try to make it .

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Zulu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2010, 02:59:25 AM »
Pretty long drive for me. :P :P :-\ :-\
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Online Double D

Re: Possible Montana Cannon shoot site 2011
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2010, 03:46:08 AM »
 Instead of making it a weekend shoot...may be make the shoot one stop on a vacation trip.

There is a lot of ground to cover to get to Montana, and a lot to see, they are just further apart than east of the Mississippi.   The geography is very different.  A suggested itinerary from Houston to Cut Bank would be: http://www.mapquest.com/mq/7-q7VeZHo280N5wRl8

From Houston go to Cody, WY.

From Cody go through Yellowstone to West Yellowstone, MT.  From West Yellowstone go north via the Big hole, past the Big Hole Battle field, and nice rest stop to Missoula. Missoula to Kalispell and the west entrance of Glacier Park.  Take the Going-to-the-Sun road over Logan Pass to St. Mary.  Then north to Babb, and to Many Glacier.

From Babb you can drive Cut Bank.  From Cut bank  go east a bit to Shelby and south on the freeway to Great Falls . From Great Falls to Billings and south to Crow Agency for a stop at the Little Big Horn Battle Field.  From Little Big Horn, to Devils Tower, just north of Moorcroft, WY.  From Moorcraft over to Rapid City, SD and down to Mt. Rushmore.  From Mt Rushmore, down to Douglas, WY, through Custer, State Park. and catch the freeway back to  Houston.

Big trip but well worth it. Don't forget to stop at the Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo.  They will give you a free 72 oz steak if you can eat in one hour.

Zulu,

I covered it for you earlier, a great family vacation.....

Online Double D

« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2010, 06:23:15 AM »
How does the weekend of 20-21 August 2011 sound for Cut Bank Cannon Convention II?

Sounds OK to me.  Come early and help set up (or cast beer can zinc shot.)

Yes we can do this also, I will have the  mould back from Rotometals by then.   Anyone who wants this round shot now can get them from Rotometals...GBO Group buy Popcan size zinc round balls  If you bring you metal to  Montana I'll set up my furnace and you can cast some up using my equipment.  George is the head Melt master and will help you.  Mike is George's trusty assistant.  Tracy and Gary the cheer leaders.  Me I just got the heck out of the way and let the masters work.

This isn't just a cannon shot its a social gathering of folks who share a common interest.  We will have an evening  braai and your ladies will feel welcomed. 

It is also a perfect time of the year to come to  Northern Montana see the natural beauty of this region.  After the shoot if you have a few days I can tour you around the area to see the sights that tourist don't see.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2010, 06:32:12 PM »

So where is this and how far from Cut Bank is it?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Online Double D

« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2010, 07:06:23 PM »
That is Jerusalem Rocks about 45 miles form Cut Bank, about 2 miles south of the Canadian Border and a Mile west of  I-15.

Online Double D

« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2010, 05:14:11 AM »
Should there be an interest for those who want the week following the shoot I can take you on my off the beaten track driving tour . my wife can set up a tour of one of the local Hutterite colony's.

Jus t let me know ahead of time what you want to do. 

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2010, 06:02:51 AM »
What's a "Hutterite"? ???
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Online Double D

« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2010, 07:39:45 AM »
click on this link for information on Hutterites

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2010, 08:24:28 AM »
So have you seen weather like this?

APOD Montana Supercell
GG
--Winston Churchill

Online Double D

« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2010, 12:33:22 PM »
No we don't have weather like that in  Montana,   we only have mild weather here.   

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Online Double D

« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2010, 02:11:04 PM »
Glasgow almost 300 miles form here, it's practically in  North Dakota, it don't count.

Offline Asron87

« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2010, 11:02:15 AM »
Any chance it could happen the weekend before the 20-21? I know college usually starts around that time and I've been planning on going to the cannon shoot. I'd be done with my internship a week before class starts so I think I'd be able to hang out around the area and see what it has to offer for hiking/camping. I'll check with my school to see when it starts for sure. Either way I can miss a day of class if need be.

Online Double D

« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2011, 03:54:51 AM »
Are  you  making plans to join us in  Montana in August?  You should!.  I will present the formal request to the Gun Club next Tuesday.

Tentative plans are to have an open range day on Saturday.  Sunday will be organized shoots; SAMCC shot, larger that 3/4 inch test match, Golf ball mortar Par three hole in one contest and finish with the  Siege of  Fort Pallet.   More details on all of this as we go along.

I am also working on having a guest cannon to two--A gun from the  HMS Surprise  and a Bira Gun.

Online Double D

« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2011, 05:09:26 PM »
I made the formal request to the Gun Club tonight to hold the Cannon shoot in August after some discussion and concern about whether the range will be ready in time the question was tabled until the next meeting in February.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2011, 08:50:46 PM »
What needs to be ready?  The impact berm?  Asphalt removal?
GG
--Winston Churchill

Online Double D

« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2011, 04:06:01 AM »
As it stands right now we could hold the cannon shoot on the track infield. It wouldn't be pretty but we could shoot..  

We need  to install  a new gate and perimeter fence. That has to be done first to keep the  Neighbors horses out.  This is open range. In open range we have to fence the animals out, the animal owner doesn't have to fence in. Once the Gate is in, Club members will be allowed access to the site and start clean-up.  We have to remove a large number of tires that were used as barriers on the race track.  The  old fencing and rundown concession stand has to be removed.  

The bull dozers need to come and remove the banked track, pushing all the dirt up into impact zone. The firing line needs leveled and a drain line needs put in.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2011, 05:49:32 AM »
As it stands right now we could hold the cannon shoot on the track infield. It wouldn't be pretty but we could shoot..  

Merely 'simulated combat conditions'.   ;)
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Online Double D

« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2011, 06:52:25 AM »
I want to note that the club is in favor of holding the shoot.  The  concern is that the range might not be ready.  

It was pointed out that the weekend selected is also the Airport Fun Day weekend and holding the shoot that weekend would help promote the Gun Club. The airport is right across the highway from the club range.   http://www.cutbankairport.org/montana-fun-weekend

Offline Asron87

« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2011, 07:37:10 AM »
By the looks of it, I'm going to need a week to ten days for this trip. A couple days for driving, hopefully a couple days of hiking, and then a couple days for the cannon shoot before I have to head back to college in Wahpeton ND (I'm switching into their "Machinist and Tooling Program"). It's a 893 mile drive but I'd say it's still safe to count me in.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Wahpeton,+ND&daddr=Cut+Bank,+MT&hl=en&geocode=FZXzwQIdLek9-imFiebrHknJUjEAzWPJLZGtyw%3BFWIb5gIdmfZN-Smx7uYmjQ1pUzHfRn53rzUp3g&mra=ls&sll=47.44803,-104.468895&sspn=8.872161,17.402344&ie=UTF8&z=6

Luckily, I know a few people in Montana.

Online Double D

« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2011, 08:01:06 AM »
I would be more inclined to cut north to Glasgow from Glendive, Then head west.

Or you could go through Miles City and pick up some Powder from Western  Powder.  Be sure to call ahead and make pick up arrangements.

Online Double D

« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2011, 12:17:24 PM »
Since the Eastern part of the country has decide to hold a gathering two years in a row, I will withdraw my request to the Sportsmans association to hold a shoot in Montana this year. 

I don't wish to fight the battle with the club  to convince them to let me put on a shot and have attendance diluted because of a conflict with another shoot.

I would like to attract eastern shooters out here.  It is along ways for them to come and if they have a choice of two shoots in one year, they are likely to choose the closer shot.   

If I convince the club to let me hold a shoot this year on the new range and we have a poor turn out, then they aren't likely to consider the shoot again. 

I know we discussed this last year.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2011, 12:30:50 PM »
Douglas -

The NRV shoot has always drawn only locally (with an occasional noteable exceptions).  We're not in competition at all.  We might-could schedule it for Early March if that fits your travel schedule.  And I never expect anyone to travel to Floyd/Willis VA from the left coast - 3000 milse is a bit far.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Online Double D

« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2011, 01:40:01 PM »
You may not realize it but your East coast shoot is about to get bigger.  And it will continue to grow. 

Like it our not these are two events are GBO shoots and one does compete with the other.  When we discussed this last year I said I would not put on a shoot when you hold an east coast shoot.  I though we agreed to that.

I don't expect anyone to come from the East coast to Montana, any more than I would expect anyone from California  would go to VA for a cannon shoot., but they might, once.   

Because it is so far up herer I have always billed  this as a vacation trip. You have to make a commitment to come here.  It's not a weekender.  I don't want the guys to be forced into a an either or situation.  The guys I am thinking most about are between here and there. A guy in the east or mid east is more likely to plan a trip out here if there isn't a shoot east.  He might even go east one year and west then next.   

Also because it is so far I won't do a shoot every year.  It's just to much to ask for folks to travel here every year.

I am going to the east coast in March April but only because the Daughter in law asked for some help. I am taking a pop can mortar if it gets finished, and golf ball Mortar for sure for the granddaughters to bomb fish in the fish pond.  I do have plans to attend the  IMA Warehouse tour and  Victorian Rifleman shot.  As we go through Pulaski depending on where we are in our schedule we may stop for coffee.   But our time is pretty much planned for going east this year.

Tuesday I am going to have use my very best sales skills to convince the club to have the shoot on the new range. I have to be able to convince the people will come.  The club is in the process of building a new range.  If they know they have to get the range done in time for the shoot they won't drag their feet like they have in the past.  If people don''t show after that there will never be another. 

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2011, 01:59:46 PM »
Douglas -

Sorry that I missed your expectation that you'd not hold a shoot if we held one here.  I guess my concept is that the more shoots there are the better.  I'd love to go to an Eastern Virginia or a Tennessee or N.C. shoot in the near future.

Some day we'll get up your way for a shoot!  It MAY be this year too.

I think I like the concept of being able to drive a couple hundred miles and take in 2 hours of shooting, lunch and another two hours of shooting.  Makes for a comfortable, but long, Saturday.

IMA warehouse?
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Online Double D

« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2011, 02:17:34 PM »
Keep in mind the club can still say no Tuesday night...lets wait until we hear from them be for we finalize any schedule.

I agree, more shoots the better, but the audience is thinner out here...