Author Topic: Smoothing a rough casting  (Read 2925 times)

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
Re: Smoothing a rough casting
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2010, 03:13:28 PM »
  You could use a wood lathe depending on the size and weight of the barrel.   A used one can sometimes be picked up cheap or possibly one like Harbor Freight sells.  All you need to do is rotate the barrel while sanding.  Here's A link to one.  http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34706   
I dunno.... 90 lbs turning at 600 RPM on a lathe that weighs something less than 180 lbs?  :o

grymster,  At the time I wrote this, I didn't know what size barrel he had. Chucking a mortar barrel with trunnions and spinning it would not be a good idea anyway.  I bought a 10" x 18" wood lathe for smoothing barrels and it works very well.  I never liked grinding and sanding on my metal lathe because of all of the grinding dust over the bed ways and slides.  With the wood lathe the grinding dust doesn't matter and with a barrel between the centers, the carriage is not there in the way.

Offline Terry C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I see what you did there...
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2010, 04:05:56 PM »
... I have decided to try an end run around this by using a slug of soft lead (half an egg sinker 1/2" diameter) as a compressable gasket to seal the bolt end/ liner interface. Anybody see any problem with this solution?  

From what I understand, one of the issues with vent erosion in bronze guns was that the hot jet of flame would leach out the tin from the bronze.

I don't imagine lead would fare well. Copper would be a better choice. Copper was the material of choice for vent liners in the old days.

FWIW, the angles don't have to be a perfect match.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2010, 04:42:27 PM »
Why not bore your vent on the other side?
Since the dimple would be on the bottom it wouldn't be seen
or if it bothers you fill it with Bondo it will be hid with black paint.

Why not use a stainless bolt for the vent? stainless is rust resistant very hard
and I doubt you would ever wear it out firing.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2010, 06:05:56 PM »
Kabar, it's the dimple at the bottom of the drilled vent hole caused by the point of the drill that I was concerned about.  The outside dimple isn't an issue.  I have used a SS bolt for the vent liner, its bottom is flat and does not conform to the contour of the hole bottom which is a shallow V.  The lead "washer" is intended to fill this gap and the point of junction between the casting and liner, if it erodes I'll just replace it.  Like I said, this is an experiment on my part, maybe a copper seal next time.

Terry C, It's good to know that less than perfect surface mating will do, I'll have to try your suggestion with a copper rod.  If it looks good enough I'll drill out the lead seal and give it a try. I used your sketch from a previous thread as my blueprint.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline partsproduction

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2010, 06:56:18 PM »
     We thought about turning it, but we really don't want that abrasive cast iron dust all over our lathe, so it's files or body grinders.
Tracy & Mike

I've fashioned a vacuum intake close to the tool before, makes a ton of difference in air quality in the shop, if it's done just so the amount of cast iron grit on the lathe is minimal.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2010, 10:04:58 AM »
Finally finished the Coehorn as much as it ever will be. Please go easy- it's not meant to be 100% authentic, just fun to shoot. Since it's 2.25" ammo is abundant and dirt cheap it should get a lot of use if my back is up to the job.  190 grains of F gives a dependable 100 yards with very little spread.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2010, 10:43:42 AM »
That looks like great fun!  I wish I had a place where I could shoot something like that.  Nice job!
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2010, 12:06:17 PM »
aint texas big enough for a 100 yard shooting 
and no need for a back stop either  ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2010, 12:12:48 PM »
Dan,
There's no doubt Texas is big enough.  When you enter Texas on Interstate 10 from Louisiana, the first sign you see is a milage sign that says "El Paso 787 miles"! :o
I live in a metropolitan area and don't know anyone in the country where I could shoot.
I live my life through everyone else's adventures. ;D
Zulu

Actually, now that I think about it, the sign says 878 miles, not 787. ;D ;D
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2010, 12:37:01 PM »
Texas gets very defensive when you point out there is no public  access land in Texas...it's not true.  There is public  access land, few and far between and access limited.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2010, 02:05:15 PM »
I live in a metropolitan area and don't know anyone in the country where I could shoot.

You simply need to practice the art of asking.

Drive to a place a few 10's of miles out, maybe further.

A place not so populated, some place with a gas station, maybe a bar or at least a small general store.

We did that when we went PD hunting in S.D. and needed a place to shoot them.

We started at the local sale barn, Sunday morning - no sale then, but lot of folks there eating breakfast.  A dozen conversations and 4 or 5 phone calls later we were shooting!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2010, 02:30:37 PM »
Cat,
That drive would be closer to 1 hour.  There are certainly places an hour away that could allow a place to shoot.  There are even some hills.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2010, 03:14:26 PM »
You did a nice job smoothing the barrel.  Also, you can put a point on the vent liner by chucking the liner in a drill and while it's spinning grind a point on it with a disc sander.  You want the angle slightly sharper so the inner most point is in contact with the barrel [Bottom of vent hole].  Coat the vent liner point with grease it check the fit.  If the grease is touching even then you're good to go.

Offline VA Rifleman

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2010, 05:26:49 PM »
Very Nice!!!  I like those patented streamers you shoot.  Now for a camera with a parachute  ;D 
Ammunition is like firewood. The more you have, the warmer you feel.

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2010, 06:34:36 PM »
Get thee to a local junkyard and check out the copper bins. You should be able to find some copper flashing as used on roofs and gutters. You could use a wood dowel to form the flashing into a seal (repose') Like they did on the Statue of Liberty. Or find some old copper coins and do the same thing. Frank

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2010, 05:12:49 AM »
OMG a Kewpie!

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2010, 05:44:23 AM »
OMG a Kewpie!

It deserves one.  Nice job!
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2010, 10:37:01 AM »
You did good work LS! How much does the whole rig weigh?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2010, 07:07:02 PM »
BoomJ, the mortar and base weigh in @ 145 lbs which is why I use a two wheel hand truck to move it out back for shooting. While I can pick it up and walk off with it, we ain't goin far. It's hell to get old and wimpy.
Thanks for the compliments guys, it was fun to make.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2010, 10:42:55 AM »
LS,
To my way of thinking that’s right around the poundage where a guy that’s getting his equipment to the range by his lonesome, just might start to think of the needle on the enjoyment meter as pointing more towards the work side than the fun side.
I can just imagine what some of the gents that shoot the big stuff would have to say about that comment: “What a slacker!” :(
Hey, what can I say, I like living in a well defined comfort zone; yeah, I know that’s just a roundabout way of saying that I’m a little lazy. ;)
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2010, 03:10:04 AM »
I hear you about mobility, but my mortar range starts 40 ft behind the shop where the mortar lives and extends 600 yards due west or 150yds north. It's really not bad with the dolly at all.