Author Topic: Christmas Present for Wife  (Read 699 times)

Offline Camel 23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Christmas Present for Wife
« on: November 19, 2003, 05:04:40 AM »
My wife told me she wants a handgun for Christmas.  I just about fell over.  Luckily I was sitting down.  She doesn't own a gun and has never showed an interest in shooting with me.

Currently I have a Ruger SBH in 45LC, a Ruger Mark II 45/22, and a T/C Contender in 7-30 Waters, 223 Rem, and 45/410.

I was thinking of getting her something that is different than the guns that I already have just in case she looses interest, I would have another gun.  She would just be using it to target shoot and her only requirements are that it is stainless and doesn't kick too much.  I was thinking of the Taurus Tracker in 17 HMR.  Probably the 6".  Fun to shoot, very little recoil, and available in stainless.

Are there scope mounts available for this gun incase I can talk her into a little squirrel hunting?

Any other guns you might consider?

Offline ghostZ

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2003, 05:22:34 AM »
I say take her to a gun shop and let her "feel" the guns.  Maybe even shoot some if they offer that.

Offline markc

Nice!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2003, 06:10:21 AM »
My wife and kids all liked and still do the Ruger Single Six.  With two cylinders coming with the gun, they can shoot anything from .22 shorts to .22 magnums.  They are not all that expensive, ammo is cheap, I bet much cheaper than a .17 HMR, and can be used for small game hunting or plinking.   Like ghostz said, let her handle a few different guns and see what she likes.  
markc
markc

Offline Camel 23

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2003, 07:05:56 AM »
I also thought about the Single-Six but I thought the swing-out cylinder on the Taurus may be easier for her to load and unload.  And since I already have a 22lr I was leaning more towards the 17 hmr.

Offline Camel 23

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 07:12:28 AM »
ghostz, I think I will try to get her into a gun shop to handle a few guns.  I used to live in Indiana too.  A little town called Wabash.  They had a great gun shop there called Lengle's.  They would let you take anything out the back door to give it a try.  If we had a shop like that around here I would probably own twice as many guns.

Offline southern utah

• Contributor
    • http://www.jsi-guns-hunting-firearms.com
wife gun
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2003, 07:16:10 AM »
Sign of the times. Soulds like she is interested in some self defence. Look at the  4"-6" double action revolvers in 357.  The 2-3 inch are good defence but harder to use for target and my lose interest. My wife likes to shot mild 38s in a 6" and it would be a self defence weapon.  Easy load-unload and simple to check for being loaded.
You could shoot full loads for defence or hunting.
Let her shoot your 22/45 plinking.
Stainless S&W or Ruger.

Like ghost said " Take her to a gun store". Feel and comfort will make a big diference.

Offline ghostZ

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2003, 07:46:22 AM »
Quote from: Camel23
ghostz, I think I will try to get her into a gun shop to handle a few guns.  I used to live in Indiana too.  A little town called Wabash.  They had a great gun shop there called Lengle's.  They would let you take anything out the back door to give it a try.  If we had a shop like that around here I would probably own twice as many guns.

Wabash is a pretty nice town.  I usually drive thru there on my bike...state roads like 24 are better than interstates for the bike.
I have never been to Lengle's but will look it up the next time I head thru there.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Wife wants a gun
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2003, 10:20:29 AM »
Camel23:  let it be an exercise in 'fun'.  See if she might like 'Cowboy'.  There is such an incredible selection for that sport that I feel there must be something she could and would enjoy.  There is 'stainless' available from some manufacturers, or nickle, and many calibers that are literally painless to shoot.  Many, many choices out there my friend, but as the ghostz said, let her get the feel for some, and include the cowboy stuff in the process.  HTH. Mikey.

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
wifes hand gun
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2003, 01:44:22 PM »
I agree she may be thinking of self protection rather than hunting. Start her off with a gun she is comfortable with. You be the pony and take her to a good dealer to sort out her needs. Who knows she may start giving you some competion, my wife started that way.
Jim

Offline KENTDEP

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2003, 01:18:36 AM »
My wife likes the Beretta Model 85 in .380acp. Its a single stack and it fits her hands nicely. I was looking at a Ruger Single Six the other day and that is a nice gun too. You can get one of those in .32 H&R. What the heck buy her a pair and take her out cowboy action shooting!

My .02 cents.

Jay