Author Topic: Phony line throwing cannon?  (Read 941 times)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Phony line throwing cannon?
« on: April 24, 2010, 02:16:33 AM »
 There's an auction for a bronze/brass Galbraith Lyle-style cannon running on ebay.

I contacted John (cannonmn) to see if he might be interested in it, and also to ask if he thought it was a real one (maker's name on muzzle is stamped with an incorrect character). John indicated that he believes it's a repro, mainly because of the incorrect marking which would never happen on the real deal and the poor finish on the bore. He says that originals always have a nicely honed bore.

Anywhoo, I bid on it early when it was low, thinking it would at least make for a neat display after me and my good friend Brasso fixed it up. Now it's at $1200 with 20 bids and I imagine it will be higher when it closes.

Caveat emptor...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Phony line throwing cannon?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 04:13:14 AM »
Yeah a bunch of the these things were imported and found their way into "Antique" shops
most are poorly made and never meant to be fired.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 06:47:59 PM »
 It went for $2650  :o
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 10:38:09 PM »
that man will regret his buy
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry