Author Topic: Which one would you choose?  (Read 934 times)

Offline kr930

• Trade Count: (0)
Which one would you choose?
« on: April 24, 2010, 03:28:08 AM »
Hello guys!

A "simple" question: Given 2 original (not replicas) revolvers in same excellent condition, Remington 1858 New Model and Roger & Spencer which one would you choose? The price is around USD 3200 each...  I intend to use the gun for shooting and collecting...I am new to the black powder world so please help me...

Regards and thank you!

Marius
Sweden

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Which would you choose?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 05:25:19 AM »
Personally, I prefer the Colt style for several reasons but between the two mentioned I would definitely take the Remington. I had a Rogers & Spencer long years ago and found the exaggerated flair of the grip and very high hammer spur to be quite awkward. It shot OK in aimed fire but the handling properties were terrible.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline bedbugbilly

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 11:17:19 AM »
I second coyotejoe - although I have never fired "original" Remingtons or Rogers & Spencer - I have had an opportunity to handle both makes that were originals.  The Remington was my favorite of the two for the same reasons that coyotejoe states.  While my favorite is the '51 Navy, I do have a '58 Remington Navy that I like equally as well.  Original or reproduction - the Remmie would be my first choice as I think it would be more comfortable and enjoyable to shoot.  I have a number of BP revolvers and I've got to say, there are a lot of models I would get first before I picked up a R & S - just my thoughts though as I do know that some of the fellas really like the R & S repros they shoot.  If you are putting a lot of weight on the collecting side of the issue - if it was me, I'd do a lot of shopping around and research and then try to determine which one will appreciate in value the most.  Good luck with your journey on this and safe shooting - and welcome to the forum - lot's of great guys and great information on here!   :)
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63

Offline kr930

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 08:11:37 AM »
Coyotejoe and Bedbugbilly, thank you for your input. Here in Sweden the Remington New Model is very much appreciated, however some shooters states that the Roger&Spencer is "better". We are now talking about originals....I know that this can be very subjective but it doesn´t make it easier for a newbie. In a way I am considering the Remington more interesting because of their history in the Civil War. But of the very same reason I´m kind of uncomfortable with that thought...the Colt is of course on my "wanted" list but I must focus on one gun at a time. Says my wallet  ::)

Best regards,
Marius   

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Which one would you choose?
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 04:47:05 AM »
There is not much history associated with the Rogers & Spencer. The Federal government bought a few thousand near the end of the Civil War, never issued them and sold them as surplus after the war. They were never sold on the civilian market except as government surplus.
 Likewise, the Federal Government bought tons of Remington revolvers during the war but in civilian sales Colt outsold Remington by about five to one, even though Remingtons were cheaper. That continued through the breechloading era until Remington finally gave up producing handguns. One can speculate on the reasons for that but I suspect it was because of the superior handling properties of the Colt design. People in those days weren't much concerned about accuracy of carefully aimed shots from a handgun. Handguns were weapons for close range fighting and the "point and shoot" properties of the Colt were clearly superior. Today many shooters prefer the Remington for its superior sighting arrangement but groups on target from benchrest don't mean diddly squat in a gun fight. ;D
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline trainsteeter

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 05:45:34 PM »
I owned an original remington pistol I enjoyed shooting it but it never shot as well as a replica a friend had I tried different cylinders but his copy always shot better. It had a fine bore and was a real tight gun, I hope you have better luck with the remington.

Offline madcratebuilder

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 08:15:39 AM »
Your prices are considerably higher than here in the USA.  Either of those revolver can be found for 1K +/- in pretty good condition.