Author Topic: 357 Maximum  (Read 765 times)

Offline Wolf13

• Trade Count: (9)
357 Maximum
« on: April 24, 2010, 03:57:28 AM »
I am looking at a Dan Wesson 357 Maximum Can you shoot 357 Mag in it like you can 38 spec. in the 357. Will they cause any problems because they are shorter than the Max shells. Any info you have wiil really be a lot of help. I will reload for it as I already have an 357 DW that I load for Thanks for any help.  :)

Offline Richard P

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
Re: 357 Maximum
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 04:57:24 AM »
  The standard 357m can be used in a Max barrel/ cylinder.  You can also use the 38spl.  After prolonged use of a shorter casing you may get pitting due to the powder but I have no direct experience in that happening. I think it would be greatly influenced by the powder selection. My feeling is that h110 or 4227 may contribute to it more if they dont burn completely. I dont think the flake type powders as Unique or Blue Dot would because I think they would be consumed on firing. 
   When the M-40 revolver was new the writers cautioned about the frame being cut by the powder. This happened when light bullets were used in an attempt at high velocity. When the 180 and 200gr bullets were used the condition was not seen as much.  Pay attention to the barrel/ cyl gap. I'd recommend anti-seize on the threads of the barrel. It isnt fun when they wont come off.  Enjoy your revolver.  rp

Offline Merle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 12:45:33 PM »
 The standard 357m can be used in a Max barrel/ cylinder.  You can also use the 38spl.  After prolonged use of a shorter casing you may get pitting due to the powder but I have no direct experience in that happening. I think it would be greatly influenced by the powder selection. My feeling is that h110 or 4227 may contribute to it more if they dont burn completely. I dont think the flake type powders as Unique or Blue Dot would because I think they would be consumed on firing.  
   When the M-40 revolver was new the writers cautioned about the frame being cut by the powder. This happened when light bullets were used in an attempt at high velocity. When the 180 and 200gr bullets were used the condition was not seen as much.  Pay attention to the barrel/ cyl gap. I'd recommend anti-seize on the threads of the barrel. It isnt fun when they wont come off.  Enjoy your revolver.  rp

Chamber erosion isn't going to be your biggest problem, unless you are trying to drive lightweight bullets very fast. That's what caused the problems with both the Ruger & DW revolvers, but was not an issue with the TC single shots. Powder fouling & lead build-up will be more troublesome, just like shooting 38 SPL in a 357 Mag chamber. Frequent & thourough cleaning will take care of that. I have tried various loads thru a 357 MAX in my TC, and found that accuracy was pretty iffy, probably due to the long bullet jump.  Strangely enough, I had the best results from generic American Eagle 158 LRN loads for the 357 Mag. It seemed that the lighter loads did better, due to some strange reason or another.

8) 8) 8)

Offline Wolf13

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 02:51:50 PM »
Thanks for the Infomation, now I just have to find another gun as I got out bid on the one I thought I was going to Get. O well maybe  I can find another one. Merle did you think they are not real accurate. every thing I have read says that the Maximum is. Thanks again

Offline Merle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 07:22:58 AM »
Thanks for the Infomation, now I just have to find another gun as I got out bid on the one I thought I was going to Get. O well maybe  I can find another one. Merle did you think they are not real accurate. every thing I have read says that the Maximum is. Thanks again

The only mediocre accuracy I saw was when using light bullets (less than 158 gr) in the Max, or using 357 Mag or 38 SPL loads. 158 gr was a toss of the coin. The Max always seemed to like bullets 180 gr or heaver. Some folks used rifle bullets of 200 ~ 250 gr, but I never did.

The 357 Max is amazingly accurate. Using 180 gr Sierra FPJ bullets, it would put 10 rounds into a 6" group at 200 meters. One day I put it up agsinst a 300 Win Mag rifle with a scope & he only managed a 5" group. Needless to say his buddies razzed him pretty hard.

I used it in IHMSA compettition for many years, and the only fault I could find was that recoil became a problem after about 60 rounds. For the 40 round local matches it was just fine. Brings back fond memories.

;D ;D ;D

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 08:40:49 PM »
I have the Ruger max. with 7.5"(?) barrel, and it is very accurate; more so than my S&Ws & others.  When I want to shoot 38s & 357s, I use guns chambered for them.  No reason ALL 357 Max loads have to be at "Max".
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline Wolf13

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 03:02:49 PM »
Thanks every body, just hope to finf another one.