Author Topic: switching from metal to plastic containers by powder companies?  (Read 2349 times)

Offline CIG

• Trade Count: (0)
Just bought a new 8lb jug of IMR 4064 and it's plastic, like they all seem to be.  Is storage in plastic any better or worse than the original metal cans it used to come in?  I can certainly transfer this new powder into the old can if it stores better.  It will have the same label, so no confusion there.  Just wondering if anyone knew if one has an advantage over the other. 

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Re: switching from metal to plastic containers by powder companies?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 06:37:05 PM »
The plastic won't rust  ;D

found elsewhere

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 06:38:24 PM »
necchi +1 ;D
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 07:44:54 PM »
They are quiet and don't dent as easy either.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline CIG

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 08:43:26 AM »
I guess that means the consesus is they changed to plastic because it's just a better storage container with no down sides.  Thanks. 

Offline PawPaw

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 09:10:21 AM »
The change was probably a cost issue.  Powder companies, like all companies, are in business to make money.  One way of making money is containing costs.

Offline RWK

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 09:45:06 AM »
They can't get the steel there no steel manu. in the USA!!! all over seas.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 10:24:53 AM »
I don't like the plastic containers.  I try to avoid them.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 10:28:50 AM »
The plastic came about for a few reasons , its cheaper to make , it doesn't rust , it gives better UV protection and it fills the new Haz Mat requirements better , well you get the idea .

No real down side to it as far as I can see , and when your done with them , wash them well , drill a 1" hole in the side and you have a nice little hanging bird house .  ;D

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline wncchester

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 10:54:25 AM »
Smokeless powder reacts with some plastics (check the discolored "clear" plastic hoppers on most powder measures) but I'm confident the makers have choosen a plastic that is harmless to the powder so it doesn't matter to me.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 01:12:12 PM »
Personally, I welcome the change. I think long term storage is going to be better. Most have a wide mouth or least bigger than what the old metal container had, so it makes it easier to pour unused powder back in. I threw out about 5 pounds of old powder because it had rust on the inside of the container. Here is another use for a 1 pound powder bottle - I store bulk bullets. I just tore off the old label and made a new one with all the particulars of the bullet.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 07:16:32 PM »
The jury is still out on whether or not the plactic is better than the metal cans IMO. Plastic containers for powder hasn't been around for 30 years like the metal containers--I know that the metal containers work for long periods of time. The wide mouth is appreciated for returning powder to the container though.

cybin

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 09:04:04 PM »
I do not know if this is true of smokeless powders or their components but I DO know that some organic compounds form peroxides over time.  Many of these organic peroxides are contact explosives and will burn/ignite/explode upon the slightest of movement or friction, such as metal against metal when a cap is unscrewed.  It may be likely that the powder companies moved to plastic to lessen probability of such safety hazards.  ???

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 02:41:07 AM »
I actually prefer the plastic myself but a word of caution to all who save the containers. DO NOT place black powder or it's substitutes in the plastic bottles due to static electricity.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 03:28:05 AM »
I actually prefer the plastic myself but a word of caution to all who save the containers. DO NOT place black powder or it's substitutes in the plastic bottles due to static electricity.

But 777 and Blackhorn 209 are sold in plastic? Perhaps you are right in respect to real black powder?

Offline FourBee

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 03:37:03 AM »

I have at least 2 brands of real Black Powder that came in the plastic cans.  Probably a non-static material or they wouldn't have packaged it like that.  ;D

Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 04:18:12 AM »
where to you find powder any other way anymore.
I don't like the plastic containers.  I try to avoid them.
blue lives matter

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 01:23:42 PM »
Notice all the gasoline containers are plastic now. Don't think they draw the moisture like a steel can. I've taken several of the 4# jugs, and cut down the sides, and leave the handle's on them. Make dandy scoops for dog or chicken food.(make sure you wash them out first!!Those eggs might pop alittle louder in the frying pan.)gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 01:28:25 PM »
I've still got plenty of powder in waxed cardboard containers.  Some of it is over 30 years old and it's still fine.  I've got some metal cans as well....still ok.  And I like the new plastic, because you can get a screw on "funnel mouth" that makes it easy to dispense and use.  If the cardboard lasts as long as it does, the plastic should last longer....at least I hope so........ :D
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 06:21:21 PM »
I use almost all IMR powders and still like the old metal cans.  They seem to fit better on a shelf.  I have a metal can for each powder I use and when it is empty I fill it back up with powder from a plastic container.

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 03:53:54 AM »
I don't know if anyone thought of this yet but another reason why EVERYONE (powders, soft drinks, etc) went to plastic:  IT'S CHEAP!! 

Offline goodconcretecolor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 04:26:41 PM »
Notice how most if not all of the plastic containers are black. I bet the plastic compound is filled with conductive carbon black to fight static. I use to do some work in conductive coatings and that was how we did it. Still, to err on the side of safety, I would never transfer any powder from a metal container to a plastic one but I see nothing with the reverse if that is your preference. Waxed cardboard may have some static problems though.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 05:43:09 PM »
 It's not that complicated at all, I work in the plastic industry. Our products are primarily medical application, fluid collection, disposible surgical and post surgery products. We do make items for tank liners uptoo .1875 thick and other porduct as thin as .004.
 I'm a batch blender, my job is to mix the raw components in precise recipies to customer orders, the products I mix determines the final properties, a half pound in a 1200# batch CAN change plastic characteristics. Our Medium size shop mixes and uses 65,000# in 24hrs, 5 days a week.
 We don't blow mold bottles, but PVC is PVC. It's black because it's cheapest, re-grind or used product of any color can be mixed and made black easiest, no mystery there. That's 6th grade Art Class and primary colors, black is black.
 Anti-static to National ISO2009 spec is easy, it's a simple alkyly compound added at about 4# per ton. They've used it for decades.
 They use black plastic bottles because it's cheap, air tight and water tight, If they where worrried about metal to plastic contact they wouldn't put a metal cap on the plastic jug..
 Static discharge ingniting powders, even sensitive black powder, is a myth.

Anybody watch Football? We make the free molded plastic that lines every Riddel helmet. Every NFL football player has to wear a sanctioned Riddel helmet. They'er all custom fit for the pro's,,but it's our plastic that saves your favorite players skull from crackin ;D
found elsewhere

Offline FourBee

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 06:39:20 PM »
necchi; that's a good post you made.  :D   Especially " Static discharge ingniting powders, even sensitive black powder, is a myth. "  That is true, but like many things that have been passed on down thru the ages to be fact, when really it's myth, is pretty much cut in stone, and it'll stay that way.  ???

Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 02:27:36 AM »
It is especially poignant when our Members sound off in the areas about which they are the EXPERT.  Nice post necchi.  When there are questions and Resident Experts that give us the straight skinny, well, it just doesnt get any better than that.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 06:26:02 AM »
necchi:  Outstanding post.  I am linking it to some of my reloading friends.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 08:29:59 AM »
The only down side might be static elec. but that might not be that big of a problem
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2010, 09:24:19 AM »
I was going to say there had to be a myth about static igniting the Black Powder subs, since I have been getting Pyrodex since the early 90s in Plastic containers.  Triple Seven has always came in plastic, as has all the others.  In my opinion there is several good reasons and necchi hit them all.  I'm waiting for WD-40 to come in a plastic spray bottle.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2010, 09:54:42 AM »
It does . with a pump spray .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2010, 04:32:00 PM »
I've been looking for this link for ahwile,,It has to do with static electricity and Black powder,,good pictures. Black is much more sensitive than most modern nitrate that I know of

Hope this helps dispell the myth, I know some still won't belieb it but take a look anyhows  ;D

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/sparks/sparks.html
found elsewhere