Author Topic: RWS Cap failures  (Read 505 times)

Offline ZVP

• Trade Count: (0)
RWS Cap failures
« on: April 26, 2010, 10:00:53 AM »
 I have been playing around with choosing the most reliable Cap for all my revolvers.
 I have been trying the RWS #10 caps and have discovered a fault with the breed. The soft copper material blows out the back of the cap on all the revolvers I have now tried, I shot them in two '58 Remingtons of Piettia manufacture , a '51 Uberti .31 and a Piettia .44 Caliber '51 Navy. On all 4 guns the caps exhibited direct rearward blowthrough and severe fragmetting, spraying particale back at the shooter.
 The cylinders fired in all but one case and upon inspection of the chambers, powder explosion was 100% leaving clean cylinders.
 This only goes to show how LITTLE spark  it taqkes to set Pyrodex Pistol XXX off. Even an incompletelly directed spark completelly set the pyrodex off! I do not know if 777 or real B/P would ignite as reliabilly but it does show how dependable Cap Ignition IS!
 I have settled on Remington Caps as being the most non fragmenting (hence rotating to fall off or stayed on the nipple when spent) of the brands I have tried (CCI, RWS, Remington). The copper of the Remington caqp takes a bit more to "Pinch" to tighten #11's and for my Revolvers the remington #10's arfe too tight to fire reliablly on the factory nipples. Ignition with Remington caps is 100%.
 Like I said I pinch all caps and use a pointed wood dowel to extra secure the caps on the nipples.
 I carry my C&B pistols in both Cabella's Slim Jim holsters and in an Oklahoma Cross draw holster. I do not have experience with long term holster carry nor horseback holster carry and do not know how well the Remington caps affixed as stated would stay mounted. I would expect at least a dependable one days carry with Remington caps intact.
 Maybe other readers could expand upon the long term carry capibilities?
 Hope this helps
 ZVP

Offline FourBee

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: RWS Cap failures
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 05:54:01 PM »
Thanks for the heads up ZVP.  I've always wanted to try the RWS for myself, but don't think I'll bother.   All the other's I've tried, and settled on the #10 Remingtons.   I noticed you said "the remington #10's are too tight to fire reliablly on the factory nipples. "
Yes and No !
   Yes, because my 1st encounter with them, I didn't push them down far enough, as I was used to the others just falling on the Nipple.   If you'll measure them along side the #11's, you see that the #10's have a longer cup and therefore the need to be snugged up on the cone of the nipple.

No, because once you figure out that they will seat farther down on the Nipple it's 'Shootin as Usual' without losing the caps off the Nipples.  I own Pietta's 1860's , and Uberti .31 Pocket Revolver, and the #10 Rem's  fit all of them and does a great job.  8)
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.