Author Topic: How popular is the 375H&H cartridge for western hunting?  (Read 1037 times)

Offline hans g./UpS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
How popular is the 375H&H cartridge for western hunting?
« on: November 19, 2003, 11:22:01 AM »
I'm wondering how popular the 375H&H cartridge is for western hunting including elk, moose or bear]?
I have a lefthanded Sako AV,that I don't have a need for,and am considering trying to sell/trade.
I wonder whether I should direct a query to particular group?
Thanks.

Offline Lawdog

How popular is the 375H&H cartridge for
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2003, 01:42:57 PM »
hans g./UpS,

If you had only one cartridge/rifle to hunt everything in the world the cartridge to choose is the .375 H&H.  You can load it up or down to do whatever you want.  With the lighter weight bullets it is a flat shooting, hard hitting cartridge with few peers.  It is one cartridge that should be in every hunters arsenal.  You ever get a chance to hunt the big bears you'll be set.  Also goes for hunting the big Russian type hogs that can and do take a bunch of killing and not to bad for moose in the thickets where the bears also hang out.  I have three .375's in my safe, one H&H for the wife, one for me and a .375 Weatherby that is even better yet.  If it was up to me I would keep that .375 H&H, some day you may wish you had it.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline wyote

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2003, 02:43:53 AM »
It seems to me that is was more popular several years ago than it is now.

With all the new magnums it isn't quite a common as it used to be, but I know a couple of guys that still use them and they do sell for a premieum price.
for every law thats passed alittle freedom dies

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2003, 08:13:20 PM »
Most people in my state would consider the 375 a might heavy and go with the 7 mag, 30-06, or .338 for most of their hunting.  If you planed to shoot only grizzly bear and elephants - fine - but the others will get the job done. without the cost, recoil, or weight.

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline LILED

375 the great grandaddy
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2003, 05:22:25 PM »
hans g,
Dont sell your 375 it might be the most versitile rifle in the safe. I have a 1939 m70 with a heavier than normal barrel on it. This is one of my pet rifles. I have shot not only 'yotes and p-dogs, but nilgai and deer (axis fallow, and whitetail). It has never let me down.

You need to get 2 bullets for it(if you hand load). 250grn serria I load IMR-4064 at 68.1 gr crony at 2784 adv. out of my rifle will shoot sub 1" at 100 yards. Also get a good 300grn somthing like the fail safe bullet. You should be able to get 2500fps out of a 24" tube. Just my 2 pennys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:  

liled

Offline 340wby

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2003, 03:00:26 AM »
while you don,t need the power a 375H&H potentially provides, it works just fine!
Ive been hunting ELK and mule deer, for 35 years in several western states, colorado,wyoming, oregon, calif. and idaho, mostly my back-up rifle on many elk hunts is a sako 375 H&H manlicher carbine, the load I normally use is a hornady 270 grain spitser over 80 grains of winchester 760
while I tend to hunt far more with my 340 weatherby and 250 grain spitzers the results on game are not distinguishable, both punch thru from any angle and then exit, most shots drop game instantly, and with less meat dammage then I comonly see from the guys useing  the faster light caliber mags like the 7 rem mags
youll have guys give you a bunch of B.S. over carrying a 375H&H occationally, but I doubt youll find anyone dumb enought to even imply it won,t drop elk like THORs HAMMER! if YOU place your shots correctly!
now since I rarely get shots over 300 yards and the average is more than likely closer to 150 yards I doubt that theres much a 375H&H won,t do that the other less powerfull rifles can. but the one thing I have noticed was that the 375 H&H seldom has problems with bullets shreading on impact or failing to exit, (COMON PROBLEMS with some of the smaller high velocity rifles)
I could easily spend the rest of my life hunting with just a few rifle calibers and a 375 H&H would be high on the list!
but Id say theres (20) 7mm mags and (30 )30-06s out there for every 375 H&H youll see in use

Offline Losthwy

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2003, 09:32:03 AM »
Nobody I know here in Colorado uses a 375 for hunting in this state. Common calibers are 7 mm mag, .30-06, and .300 mag.

Offline targshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2003, 08:11:44 PM »
:D

I've used my .375 H&H for deer here in Minnesota. Used it when I lived in upstate NY. Good deer rifle. Used the 270 grain Hornady spire point.