Author Topic: brain teaser for the h&r guys  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
brain teaser for the h&r guys
« on: April 27, 2010, 08:47:03 AM »
ok first off the lite bullets are the worst out of the .204 ultra varmint
45 gr soft points are the only bullet that the gun likes.
 i bought it new at a gun shop feb. 04 2010
the first bullets thru it were 32 gr v-max boat tails used to try to sight it in
it dont seem to me it would make a difference in what gr bullet the gun would like or dis like by what is the first bullet out of it.even with the fore arm is off it makes no diff.
i was told to stick with the 34 or36 gr the 40 dont do well these do not  even fly,even to say poorly would be a under statement. i would need a couple of 4x8 sheets of ply wood just to say i can hit the target at 50 yrds
but i put the 45 gr back in and presto i can hit pop caps at 100 yrds it seems to be backwards from what i am told by everyone who shoots one. it would not be so bad if the 45 gr hornady were not back ordered sense feb of this year as i like (ok love) to hunt and shoot.  what to do? send it back what do i tell them? it only likes 1 bullet and it is back ordered.any help  or advise would be greatly apreshated
the barrel is 24 in. heavy fluted blued if that matters  ser, hx 35xxxx
                             rw          

A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley

Offline dangerranger

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
Re: brain teaser for the h&r guys
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 09:17:35 AM »
 some times its what ever works. you may want to save some of those lite bullits till after you have a couple hundred down the barrel, after a break in period Id try them again. you will not be the first to find out that Rem is changing things around with their barrels. so be happy you have found a load that works. DR

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 11:00:39 AM »
Everyone refers to the bullets a particular rifle or barrel likes by wieght, that is incorrect. The length of a bullet is what causes it to fly well from a barrel or to fly poorly from the same barrel. The length is many times, but not always, in direct correlation to a bullets wieght. I suggest you check the length of the bullet that shoots well for you from that barrel and find others of a similar wieghlength and try them. I am unsure if it is the length of the bearing surface or the overall length of a bullet that matters but I have always believed it was the overall length of the bullet that affected its flight from the barrel. Some other things to do are to slug the bore, mic the bullets, and check the crown. And shoot the barrel a while, at least 100-200 rounds before you make any big changes, and do not clean it every time you shoot it, only clean it when the accuracy begins to degrade....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 11:39:20 AM »
The twist of the 204 was designed with a 32gr bullet in mind.
So anything over that weight is a crap shoot. 36gr will shoot in some guns.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 12:50:14 PM »
fred    
 you are right but in mine all of the light ones 40 gr and under fly all over the place very irattic and even sometimes if it does hit the back stop not the target it is sideways a ovel
                  rw
A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 01:28:28 PM »
 If it works for yours go with it. mine used to tumble the 40 gr and shoot under that just great. after some work it will now shoot the 40 gr but is more accurate with lighter.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 01:36:43 PM »
try a powder that has a slower burn rate, standard primer, development is
time consuming. but lots of fun for me....
i've got some rifles that have over 50 hours of testing loads before i found
the sweetie !!! ;D
i gotta a hornet that did that same thing. it loved the 50gr nosler bt's
but with a little research i found the ultimate 40gr speer load that i was look'n for.
my 204 was touchy too... but its all gud-now !!! ;D
hope ya get-r-done soon and good luck

sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 05:04:36 PM »
I have three barrels in 204 and they all love the 32gr VMAX.
One 22" and one 24" Ultra also love the 45gr SPs.
Both of these barrels will shoot the 32s & 45s to the same as far as left & right but the 45s hit about 1" higher than the 32s.
One 22" barrel hates the 45s.
Never tried any other weights in any of them.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 06:07:29 AM »
I dont have one, or know what the factory loads come with for bullet choices. Yours seems to be different than others I have read about, and if it works for you this way, great, but I would be 'dissapointed' if mine wouldnt shoot factory offerings (even though I reload, the 'next' owner might not). If that is the case, I would contact H&R.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 01:02:15 PM »
THANKS TO ALL FOR THOUGHTS AND ADVISE
  i have been on the phone with h&r  5 times, today i got to meet a h&r rep at a gun shop
and i got my chance to show him what i was dealing with. :) ;D :o
we went to the basement and he got to try to make an easy $20.00 that i bet him, he cant hit the target at 50 yrds we could only shoot at 30 yrds.  he put the gun in a vise and that clamped to the table.the following is with 32/36/40 gr
the first shot 14-15 in to the left  the next 10 to the right and hit sideways  and repeated this a total of 8 shots  then he shot 2 45 gr and put two side by side they touched  he did say there is something wrong  with it. the crown looked good to him and the gun smith that worked there. but not a clue to what was wrong so it is on its way back to the factory to be tested. the rep said he is sure it warrants  a new barrel that would be test fired before it is shipped back to the store. 2 -3 weeks it should be back to me and all better. :) :) :)
 not yet but soon i will be happy again.  i hope to see what the problem was.i will post it
 THANK TO ALL FOR THE THOUGHTS AND ADVISE       RW

Offline chutesnreloads

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 06:00:12 PM »
Hope you get your gun back in much better than satisfactory condition Ron.It'll be worth the wait.

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
my 204 turned into22-250
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 03:53:30 PM »
 i was on the phone again it has not even been 1 week sense i dropped it off.
the rifling has deffect. no new 204 barrels to choose from, he told me to pick a new barrel bore?????????????  ;D  50 bmg  ??? ;D :'( he just laughed and told me that i didnt.  he said it would hurt  to shoot.
so my next choise  was the 22-250   ;D
hope it shoots good :) :)
H&R
deserve a big A+ on there service and repairs  excellent service and fast. no fees for shipping
                  rw 

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 06:30:32 AM »
I'm still working on my .22-250, my .223 outshines it, even with Wolf 55 gr. FMJs.  The .223 climbed out of its box, got a scope mounted, bore sighted, a slight adjustment, and it whacks anything in its crosshairs.  It's another "Magic Rifle" like my .308 M77 MKII. 

A neighbor called me yesterday, saying crows were tearing up long, tubular plastic silage wraps.  They're about seventy five to a hundred feet long and 6 or 7 feet in diameter, filled with corn silage.  The crows are tearing up the top to get at the corn, letting rain in to rot the silage.  He asked me if I'd come over and discourage the crows.  Tomorrow morning, early, before dawn, camos, a portable blind, the .223 and the 20 ga. Pardner with 3 inch 7.5s are going over there.  I called DNR this morning to make sure I wasn't violating and they told me as long as I had permisssion from the landowner I was cool.  They added a thank you for letting them know in case they had complaints about it.  By the way, this neighbor is the same that lost a calf and a heifer to wolves this past week.  Don't say it.....I don't want to think about it.......oh, crap, yeah, the .223 would be perfect wolf medicine.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 12:13:08 PM »
gotta love the UP  ;D

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 12:20:21 PM »
Ron,

You might want to check the twist rate in your new 22-250.   I think I read here somewhere that the newer 22-250s might have the same twist as the newer 223s, 1:9. 

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 12:47:53 PM »
the last time i talked with them was tuesday i did not think to ask what twist  i assumed it to be a 1 in 14
  truth of it is it has not been done yet  the barrel has not been fit  yet as i was just told  at 11am today.   5/14   
              rw 
o k 
 i talked to the guys at h&r  the 22-250   barrel is not available in heavy bbl fluted   so it will be the tappered one the twist rate is 1 in 14 and they can only check the trigger pull. they do not do trigger jobs. 
1 in 14 that should like them lil lite grains, i hope.
           rw