Author Topic: How much damage are the wolves doing to elk,etc. in Montana?  (Read 974 times)

Offline hans g./UpS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
How much damage are the wolves doing to elk,etc. in Montana?
« on: November 19, 2003, 11:27:02 AM »
I was talking with a friend in Montana.He's convinced that the State and Fed F&G depts are BSing the public regards wolf damage of the elk and deer herds in MT;ditto the grizzlies.
Any information on this-or to the contrary?
Thanks.

Offline Robert

How many Wolf are dying from 'Hoof and mouth' disease?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2003, 04:02:49 PM »
Or is that a myth also?
....make it count

Offline Carl R

How much damage are the wolves doing to elk
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2003, 06:38:47 PM »

Offline wyote

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2003, 02:39:09 AM »
I can't say for sure about Montana but just south of the border it's pretty bad. In sunlight basin and crandel creek some would say they are devasting the elk herds.

The game and fish have cut the moose permits from 10 to 5 in the area that I live in. For some reason the moose are disappearing. Wonder why????????
for every law thats passed alittle freedom dies

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2003, 05:13:26 AM »
Same for the West side of Yellowstone.  For the past three years, everyone says - where's the deer?  Why aren't these wolfs being reintroduced in the areas surrounding the larger cities - like Washington D C?

It always seems that people in the major metro areas think they know what is best for the places they know the least.

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline redial

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2003, 06:33:51 PM »
This has been a really bristly issue around here, lemme tell ya. There are really two issues - the states' rights issue and the biological impact issue.

As far as the animals, we've seen some diminished herds and some displaced but nowhere has there been reintroduction without Da Gummint having to come back and shoot troublesome wolves. Sometimes entire packs have to be removed once introduced. Some local areas are not worth hunting anymore while others don't seem to (yet) show an impact.

What REALLY gets me blowing smoke is the political side. I have not yet met a Montanan who has a good word to say about wolves, nor have I met anyone who can tell me why reintroduction is necessary or even beneficial. Not one. Still we get them, no matter how loud we Montanans object.

I'm gonna quit here before I squirt blood out my ears....  :evil:

Redial

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2003, 06:34:53 AM »
The fact is the people who want the wolves back will never probably see a wolf, will probably never see Yellowstone, and don't give a rat's behind what it does to the economy of the states that have to suffer with them.  It just makes them feel like they have done something good.  They will never admit that they screwed up, cause they want to leave a legacy.  Just like the people that introduced the 18th admendment.  

Any body ready for the reintroduction of the mastadon?

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline HogFan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2003, 11:00:44 AM »
I would have to say that the wolves are having an impact on the elk population as well as deer, and other animals. The reason the wolves were re-introduced, is due to the conservation act where they want to protect the whole ecosystem. Since wolves were part of the ecosystem (or were thought to be) at one time, they were reintroduced. However, through different studies fo late, they have found out a couple of areas where wolves were reintroduced in MT, and Idaho, were originally not populated with wolves. I have no problem with wolves or wolf reintroduction, but like any other animal, they need to be kept in check as well.

Hudge

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2003, 03:34:14 PM »
When I was getting out of the service many years ago, I wrote to Mom of the things I loved in our small town and how I was happy to be comming home.

My mother wrote back "You can't come home to the town that was there when you left - times have changed.

As is with wolves, times have changed, you can't have the past, you can't make the present into the past.  You only hurt other things when you try.

C F

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2003, 05:28:40 PM »
I believe DC would be an excellent place for wolf reintroduction. I can also think of several more major cities around the country I'm sure would benefit. For sure there is an over population of the indiginous species now there and that could stand come control. Currently gangs are attempting that control. I'm sure packs could do a better job.  :eek:

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2003, 09:28:16 PM »
GB

At least wolves usually eat what they kill.  

C F