Author Topic: How much range or energy > in 16"9mm vs the standard  (Read 446 times)

Offline hans g./UpS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
How much range or energy > in 16"9mm vs the standard
« on: November 19, 2003, 11:40:44 AM »
I see some of these 9mm [or 45ACP]carbines or carbine conversions.
Does one get a significant energy or range increase with them versus just using a "standard"handgun e.g. 4.25"?I realize one gets a better sight picture with a longer barrel,but does the effective range actually increase?
Thanks.

Offline Savage

How much range or energy > in 16"9m
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2003, 01:41:53 PM »
hans,
Looks like the longer barrel gives you about a 20% velocity increase in the pistol calibers with factory ammo. As you mentioned, the longer sight radius makes hits easier out at long pistol ranges, and it shoots a little flatter. Problem is, it's still a pistol caliber!
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline chris s

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2003, 05:33:41 AM »
I haven't checked this myself but I'm told the pistol rounds actually can go slower because of the drag from the longer barrel. The only advantage to the carbine is increased accuracy

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2003, 05:31:52 AM »
Quote from: chris s
I haven't checked this myself but I'm told the pistol rounds actually can go slower because of the drag from the longer barrel. The only advantage to the carbine is increased accuracy

This is partially true.  If the powder is still burning, the bullet can still pick up velocity from being inside a barrel.  If you get a fireball, the powder is still burning outside the barrel.  If the powder is finished burning but is still expanding with a force greater than the friction caused by the contact of the bullet and the barrel, velocity will increase, albeit slower than if the powder were still burning and expanding rapidly.  Once the force from the expansion of the powder gasses drops below the friction of the bullet/barrel contact, the bullet will lose velocity.

The longer sight radius will allow increased accuracy, as has been pointed out.

The longer barrel will also cut down on muzzle blast.  This may seem insignificant with 9mm and .45 ACP, but you can exaggerate it and see what I mean.  Load some 9mm ammo with Blue Dot (use data from a reputable source) and shoot it out of a 4.25" or even a 5" handgun.  Then fire the same ammo out of a carbine.  I specifically mention Blue Dot because I happen to know it to be a loud powder out of the 9mm handgun.

Also, long guns are generally easier to control in rapid fire, which may or may not be a concern of yours.