Author Topic: How much Longer??  (Read 847 times)

Offline okieshooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
  • shoot for the moon, land in the stars
How much Longer??
« on: April 28, 2010, 09:25:16 AM »
Last year was my son's first year to get to hunt away from me in his own stand. He killed his first buck, a 133" 9 point. I have never killed one that big. :'( I am ready for this fall to get here where we can start camping and scouting preparing for the season again. Anybody else about to lose their mind yet.

Here is a pic if it works!
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: How much Longer??
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 10:30:35 AM »
Well done Shane! 

I have spent my time turkey hunting, when that was in season (didn't get one).  Went for a shed hunt walk or two.  Found evidence of Poaching instead.  Two places.  Called the LEO, who for whatever reason(s) blew me off.  Got to find out why.

Put herbicide on specific parts of fields.  Later limed those fields and disced.  Then seeded and covered the seed.  Then receiving a blessed rain (then 2).  Now am watching the little germinating plants emerge by the 10's of thousands and an increasing number of deer hoof prints appear in the plots.

It's looking like another Beautiful Day in Paradise!

Offline okieshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 10:47:23 AM »
We have a 34,000 acre lease on a timber company. There are only 120 people in it. In the past we have not been allowed any food plots but I think we can plant some this year. Last year was the most enjoyable year I have ever had, my son's first buck and my daughter's first deer. It can't get here soon enough for me.
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 10:55:07 AM »
I don't know about losing my mind, it may already be gone. ???
But that's a nice deer he got there.
Seems to me more like dad wanting to get out and scout around in hopes of beating son next year. ;D
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline Titan-1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • www.titanoutdoors.com
    • Titan Outdoors Addicted (Washington State hunting DVD)
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 11:34:38 AM »
Thats one heck of a buck your boy got there. I'm about ready to get out there and get to hunting myself so I know how you feel!!!!
Every hunt has it's own special meaning and every harvest is a trophy in it's own right reguardless of size!    www.titanoutdoors.com

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 03:36:13 PM »
We have a 34,000 acre lease on a timber company. There are only 120 people in it.

Dang.  If everyone participates at the same time, that's over 280 acres per hunter!!!  WOW!  What a spread!  Good luck with that. 

How far away?  Can you shed hunt?  Look for game trails?  Scout for next season?  Get out there so you don't waste away?

Offline okieshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 01:19:43 AM »
Land_Owner it is about 8 miles from my house and a year round lease. We can ride 4 wheelers, fish and hunt anything that is in season. My grandfather was raised right in the middle of it so I grew up familiar with it. I think I enjoy the time with my children, brother and nephews more than the hunting. It used to irritate me when my dad would tell what he saw but had shot nothing but I think now I understand why he was that way. There is a lot more to it than killing for me. It is the younger generations turn to fill the freezer now and they did a good job of it last year.
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline jhm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 03:51:40 AM »
Excellent way to start a young man out hunting, he will be proud of that deer the rest of his life, and yes we stay excited about deer hunting here we hunt on our home place, I used to run alot of cattle and it was a daily trip thru the fields and pastures looking at cattle/calves deer/fawns but got out of the cattle end of it and still have the land so we watch the deer daily or almost daily.   Jim

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 06:46:56 AM »
8 miles away!!!  The truck doesn't hardly get up to highway speed getting there and when you shut it off hasn't reached normal operating temperature!  That's 10 minutes MAX from door to gate!  I would be "living" there.  No way to get bored with that!  Except possibly the cost and some of the other members rubbing me the wrong way.

Offline okieshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 07:52:42 AM »
8 miles away!!!  The truck doesn't hardly get up to highway speed getting there and when you shut it off hasn't reached normal operating temperature!  That's 10 minutes MAX from door to gate!  I would be "living" there.  No way to get bored with that!  Except possibly the cost and some of the other members rubbing me the wrong way.

About 90% of the members are really easy to get along with and I stay away from the other 10%. I put a treestand up for my son and without me knowing was about 400 yards from someone else's stand. He came and wished my son luck and said he would stay out until my son was finished. He refused when I offered to move my stand, said it was more about the kids to him too. He even told us about the 3 monster bucks he had game cam pics of. My son harvested a button buck with his muzzleloader and while reloading saw a BIG 10 point coming his way. He had left his primers at camp. ;D He learned a good but hard lesson that morning watching a scrape get cleaned 20 steps from his tree and the button buck being sniffed laying on the ground. The cost for a year is $600 but said it may go up to $700 next year. Heck some places it cost that much to hunt for a day!!
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 08:35:33 AM »
SWEET!  It costs me $1,800.00 annually just to OWN the land (taxes)...and not a very big chunk either (20 ac), but a little slice of heaven adjacent to a GREAT BIG wildlife pump (40,000 ac)! 

Good strategy and positive attitude on the part of your Lease Member adjacent to your son's stand location.  I like him already!

What a great morning for your son just the same.  To be that close to one of Nature's most elusive creatures, watching, not breathing, begging your heart to stay in your chest and not make audible that awful pounding in your ears - a sound that you KNOW has to be being heard within 50-feet, as it performs rituals that humans research for a lifetime and still do not understand.  What a memory.  What a mental image.  What a defining moment.

Offline HogFan

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 01:58:04 PM »
Too long! I got an 8 notice to deploy back in February, but I will be home late August early September. My last two deployments, 2007, and than 2008-09 caused me to miss 2 of the last 3 deer seasons. Messed up my shoulder the first deployment lifting weights that required surgery the day before season opened, and then totally missed the 08 season, as I wa back here in the sandbox. I did take both sons out on a bowhunt last year. It was fun, but only lasted about 20 minutes, and the little one (5 at the time) wanted to explore. He is my fisherman, not much of a hunter. My oldest has tagged along with me since he was 6 missed a spike last year on the youth hunt. I shot a doe the next Saturday, which was the opener of modern gun. The wife gave some of the deer meat away the other day to a friend the oldest got mad at her telling her it was his and dad's deer meat. She told him, I would be home to hunt this year, and that's when he said he was going to kill a deer, so we would have at least two deer this coming season! I am pumped.

Bow season is 1 Oct, and than ML is late middle to late October. I am going to burn my tax free leave at that time, and then put in for the youth hunt. I will take my chances during gun season, as we may be PCSing than.

Offline okieshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 06:29:23 AM »
HogFan I hate to hear you have missed time with your children. Keep them in the woods and it is easier to keep them out of trouble is my philosophy. I hope things line up and go well for you and yours this fall. Thank you for your service and come home safely to your friends and family.
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline okieshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 06:32:12 AM »
I just got these off my sons phone and had to post.
Thanks,
Okieshooter