Author Topic: Civil War Naval battle....  (Read 466 times)

Offline subdjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
Civil War Naval battle....
« on: May 01, 2010, 07:06:00 AM »
...in Oklahoma?  You bet!   

Oklahoma's only Civil War naval battle was either a great success, or a tremendous failure.

On June 15, 1864, Watie and his Confederate Indian Brigade ambushed the J.R. Williams just as it rounded a bend of the Arkansas river near Pheasant Bluff, about five miles below the juncture with the Canadian River.

High above the slow moving river, Stand Watie carefully concealed three light cannons in the brush. They watched with guns at the ready as the J.R. Williams confidently traversed the calm waters of the Arkansas.

6 pounders, they were. 

So, a naval action in a land locked state, with cav (Gen. Waties Mounted Rifles), aided by artillery, taking a ship.  Who says history is dull?

Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline lance

Re: Civil War Naval battle....
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 02:48:20 PM »
Oklahoma was not a state back then.........Indian Territory.
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 04:04:33 AM »
 :D

Accuracy now!  Accuracy.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline navygunner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 04:54:47 AM »
Actually not much of a "Naval" battle as the J.R. Williams was a steam ferry-boat under charter by the Quartermaster Corps. The army officer in charge of the 25 man detachment was besmirched with a charge of cowardice. The only time the Confederate Cav took a gunboat was up in TN when they took the Undine and Tawah and several supply ships/ Near Johnsonville if my memory serves me.

NG

Offline lance

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 08:11:32 AM »
General Stand Watie did capture a train, mule train that is...........740 mules, plus other goodies :)
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 08:38:24 AM »
Actually not much of a "Naval" battle as the J.R. Williams was a steam ferry-boat under charter by the Quartermaster Corps. The army officer in charge of the 25 man detachment was besmirched with a charge of cowardice. The only time the Confederate Cav took a gunboat was up in TN when they took the Undine and Tawah and several supply ships/ Near Johnsonville if my memory serves me.

NG

Hey!  It was a ship!  It was moving!  Why should a few little details get in the way of a good story?
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 09:18:49 AM »
Landlocked fresh water battles are always more dangerous than sea battles; reason: Landshark!
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 09:30:07 AM »
Well the end result is the ship was burned and sank to the bottom depriving the union of transport

in the end that's all that matters
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium