Author Topic: serial numbers and production dates  (Read 44156 times)

Offline jbbaldwin

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Dan Wesson Forum
Re: serial numbers and production dates
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2008, 09:40:04 AM »
As some of you know I have created a new forum specifically for Dan Wesson information and have found some really good information here.  As stated earlier in this post if folks who know when they originally purchased a DW could post part the serial number and the year it would help everyone when researching these revolvers.

This way we'll have the list available here and at the Dan Wesson Forum www.danwessonforum.com.

Here is what I have seen posted so far on various sites:

Model 11 - S/N 41xx purchased in 1971 or 1972 
Model 15-2 - S/N 7261x purchased in 1977
Model 44 - S/N 0080xx purchased in 1979
Model 15-2VH6 - S/N 37756x purchased in 1986.
Model 32-20 - S/N 32-20b05xx purchased in 1988 or 1989.
Model 44 2″ Fixed Barrel - S/N SD10xxx Purchased 1994 - 1995
<a href="www.danwessonforum.com">Dan Wesson Forum Moderator[/url]

Offline Waldo Pepper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2008, 02:58:01 AM »
I am a new DW owner and have a model 15 with a serial number of 18xxx.  I have been trying to find where I could buy the pork chop style shrouds as I only have a 2.25" barrel and would like to get a 6"  Would also really like to know the approximate production date.

I have a 15-2 "pork-chop" barrel if you have not found one yet that I can sell you cheap, but you would still need to order a new 357 6" barrel only from DW for about $75 or so delivered. It came off my gun, I only replaced it because I wanted the extra weight of the full lug barrel.  My ser # is 167xxx so they will match. I do have the barrel nut also if you need that also. Just contact me a oldnavy6393@gmail.com if you are still looking. Below is a picture of mine after the change over.

"How is it you do not understand me when I speak? It is because you cannot bear to listen to my words."

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2008, 05:19:41 PM »
I have a model 40; 357max ser#357mB0010B, a Monson I bought used, but unfired, in1992.

Offline David Carey

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »
Great gun Waldo, but it is not a pork chop barrel, the original DW had a barrel that is best described to look like a pork chop, the back piece of the barrel came down all the way in front of the crane assembly and held it all together.

Dave

I am a new DW owner and have a model 15 with a serial number of 18xxx.  I have been trying to find where I could buy the pork chop style shrouds as I only have a 2.25" barrel and would like to get a 6"  Would also really like to know the approximate production date.

I have a 15-2 "pork-chop" barrel if you have not found one yet that I can sell you cheap, but you would still need to order a new 357 6" barrel only from DW for about $75 or so delivered. It came off my gun, I only replaced it because I wanted the extra weight of the full lug barrel.  My ser # is 167xxx so they will match. I do have the barrel nut also if you need that also. Just contact me a oldnavy6393@gmail.com if you are still looking. Below is a picture of mine after the change over.

porkchop
NRA Life Member

Offline Waldo Pepper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2008, 02:11:10 AM »
Ok, I am glad that is cleared up for me as I didn't see why the partial under lug barrel was refered to as a pork chop barrel. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

So I have a very nice partial underlug barrel for sale then.  ;D
"How is it you do not understand me when I speak? It is because you cannot bear to listen to my words."

Offline hemiram

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2008, 04:31:53 PM »
Well, at least I roughly know when my "new" .44 Mag, serial number 0062XX was made. It's nearly 30 years old! It has the "plum" colored frame, and the overtravel screw is on the frame.

Not a wrinkle on it!