Author Topic: Good Reads, Post Your Favorite.  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Asron87

• Trade Count: (0)
Good Reads, Post Your Favorite.
« on: May 02, 2010, 06:16:52 PM »
OK, You guys got me. I ordered my first mortar from Dom and it should be here sometime this coming week. I plan on ordering a Golf Ball Cannon from Armorer77 later this month. I will also be going to a Technical College this fall and will have access to a lathe. I plan on making an exact replica of a cannon sometime in the next two years. My problem is not knowing which one. I was leaning towards something from the Revolutionary War or the Civil War. I'm completely new and wouldn't be able to pursue this hobby without the help of GBO and its subscribers, so thank you all.

My question for all of you.

What are your favorite books and/or articles?

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
Re: Good Reads, Post Your Favorite.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 08:41:31 PM »
Asron,
Another member named Cannonmn turned me on to this book. This book is narrow in its scope on the subject of artillery, (it only deals with swivel guns) and on top of that, there is only one chapter in the book that deals with swivel cannon, but it has the most complete history of this type of naval artillery of any American publication. I don't know about favorite, I guess it's my favorite now because it's the (great artillery) book that I'm currently rereading. The rest of the book deals with naval firearms and combustibles, hence the subtitle: BOARDERS AWAY II, With Fire - Small Firearms & Combustibles, as written and illustrated by WILLIAM GILKERSON, and as published by ANDREW MOWBRAY, INC. - Old Louisquisset Pike - Lincoln - Rhode Island - USA, 1993. If you get it from a library make sure that you get Volume II, the whole first volume deals solely with edged weapons from the classical age of fighting sail.                                                                 
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Asron87

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 01:34:05 AM »
Thanks Boom J,

I thought more people would be posting, I'm just looking for everyone's favorite literature on cannons. I must have must have nailed with The more complete cannoneer or their tired of reposting them. Sorry guys :/

Aaron

Offline smokemjoe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 03:28:11 AM »
Be carefull in some school shops, A teacher said he didnt care what I made but dont mention guns or weapons and this was over 20 years ago.But he gave me a piece of brass 12 in. long by 2 in. round for the barrel

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 03:56:27 AM »
Round Shot and Rammers by Harold L. Peterson.

A must-have for any collection of cannon literature.

Lots of great illustrations and scaled dawings.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 03:56:49 AM »
Don't get frustrated yet...some of these guys are pretty slow off the blocks...then when they get started you can't shut them up....we do have a good list of books in reference stickies.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 04:07:08 AM »
Round Shot and Rammers by Harold L. Peterson.

A must-have for any collection of cannon literature.

Lots of great illustrations and scaled dawings.

I agree!!
Almost all my carriage and barrel designs have been copied from this book.
I'll take a carriage drawing and blow it up on a copy machine till it is the size I want.  I may have to blow it up a number of times, and end up with 10 sheets of paper I have to tape together, but when I'm finished I have a nice scale pattern to use.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 07:21:59 AM »
Asron87,
You mentioned that Civil War artillery would be one of your main interests; these first three are in my opinion, excellent books, and the fourth is a must read if you're interested in American naval guns.

"The Big Guns: Civil War Siege, Seacoast, and Naval Cannon" by Edwin Olmstead, Wayne E. Stark, Spencer C. Tucker.

"Field Artillery - Weapons of the Civil War" by James C. Hazlett, Edwin Olmstead, M. Hume Parks.

"Artillery and Ammunition of the Civil War" by Warren Ripley.

AMERICAN NAVAL ARTILLERY

"Arming the Fleet: U.S. Navy Ordnance in the Muzzle Loading Era" by Spencer C. Tucker

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Asron87

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 10:29:10 AM »
Thanks Terry C and Boom J. I'll be checking them out as soon as I get a chance.

Double D, thanks, I was more worried I missed a post about the same topic. I haven't had much time to tool around on here lately. Although the other day on my day off, my lady friend insisted we watch a movie together... she picked some dance movie and that's when GBO came to my rescue (yet again:). I've read through the list in the stickies but I was looking for everyone's personal favorite(s).

Thanks again,
Aaron

Offline Owen

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 11:28:40 AM »
Early gunpowder artillery C.1300-1600
Gunpowder artillery C.1600-1700 both by Jphn Norris
Artillery lends dignity to what would other wise be a vulgar brawl.

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 01:12:21 PM »
Actually, I have several favorites depending on what I'm building.  They are great references for ideas and to scale from the photos.  Here's a photo.  It's easier to just take a picture of them than to list them.   Round Shot and Rammers   and   Artillery and Ammunition of the Civil War by Warren Ripley are very good reference guides.  Field Artillery weapons of the Civil war by Hazlett, Olmstead and Parks is another excellent book.  It has a few barrel blueprints in it.  Dom

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 03:55:41 PM »
Since Dom was lazy ;D, and the picture can make it hard to decipher the titles, here's a list (in reverse order).  Dom- as you can see, I couldn't read/find a few.  Please fill in the titles/authors, and I can update the list:

19. German Artillery in World War II 1939-1945
Joachim Engelmann
http://www.amazon.com/German-Artillery-World-War-1939-1945/dp/0887407625

18. Gunpowder Artillery 1600-1700
John Norris
http://www.amazon.com/Gunpowder-Artillery-1600-1700-John-Norris/dp/186126691X

17. Early Gunpowder Artillery 1300-1600
John Norris
http://www.amazon.com/Early-Gunpowder-Artillery-1300-1600-Norris/dp/1861266154

14. The more complete cannoneer
M. C Switlik
http://www.amazon.com/more-complete-cannoneer-M-Switlik/dp/B0006EXZCK

12. A Treatise Of Artillery 1780
John Muller
http://www.amazon.com/Treatise-Artillery-1780-John-Muller/dp/B000H7HDH4

11. Brassey's artillery of the world: Guns, howitzers, mortars, guided weapons, rockets, and ancillary equipment in service with the regular and reserve forces of all nations
Brian Blunt
http://www.amazon.com/Brasseys-artillery-world-howitzers-ancillary/dp/0517277182

10. Artillery of World War II
Chris Chant
http://www.amazon.com/Artillery-World-War-Chris-Chant/dp/0760311722

8. Field Artillery Weapons of the Civil War
James C. Hazlett
http://www.amazon.com/Field-Artillery-Weapons-Civil-revised/dp/0252072103

7. Artillery by John Batchelor and Ian Hogg 1973
John Batchelor
http://www.amazon.com/Artillery-John-Batchelor-Hogg-Softcover/dp/B000WZJWFW

6. Round Shot and Rammers An introduction to Muzzle-loading Land Artillery in the United States
Harold L. Peterson
http://www.amazon.com/Rammers-introduction-Muzzle-loading-Artillery-United/dp/B001GPDRSU

4. Artillery: The Big Guns Go to War
Curt Johnson
http://www.amazon.com/Artillery-Big-Guns-Modern-Military/dp/0706404114

1. Civil War Artillery At Gettysburg
Philip M. Cole
http://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-Artillery-At-Gettysburg/dp/0977712508

Offline lance

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 04:22:07 PM »
Well, this ain't a real thick book, but i don't see one listed..........English Civil War Artillery 1642-51 ;D
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 04:24:01 PM »
 16.  Munitions of War,  Charles B. Norton and W.J.Valentine

15.  Artillery of the world,  Christopher Foss

13.  The Lifesaving Guns of David Lyle,  J. Paul Barnett  

9.  South Bend Replica Catalog,  2004-2005

5.  History of Artillery,  Ian V. Hogg

3.  Artillery and Ammunition of the Civil War,  Warren Ripley

2.  Guns, an Illustrated History of Artillery,  Edita Lausanne

I didn't think of that.  Thanks gulfcoastblackpowder.    Dom

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 04:27:20 PM »
dominick,
A South Bend Replica catalog is an excellent source of information.  I have several and would recommend them highly for someone just for the pictures.  Of course I own a South Bend barrel and I like it! ;D
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 04:57:06 PM »
Zulu,  I agree,  good info in the South Bend Catalog and lot of photos in the second half of the book.  I'm not sure sure if you can still buy one but it's worth the purchase if you can.  My opinion.   :)

Here's a couple more.  I'll post them as I find them although I think this may be it.

Cannons, an Introduction to Artillery,   By Dean S. Thomas

The Robert Abels Catalogue of the Howard K. Brown Cannon Collection.

Artillery Through The Ages,  Albert Manucy.  < I think this is a book you can download from the internet.

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 05:08:03 PM »
Muller's,  A treatise of Artillery is a good technical book but it's hard to read the old style english where the letter "s" is an "f " .  I think it's a photocopy of an early original edition.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 01:13:56 PM »
 ' While the ordnance of the United States is covered by Harold L. Peterson  in his Round Shot and Rammers , Harrisburg 1969.'   not my words   those of a Major-General C.B., C.B.E.  the man in charge of the library and collections of the Royal Artillery        now that's what I would call a recommendation.   
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 01:52:25 PM »
History of Artillery,  Ian V. Hogg

I see it was listed, one of my all time favorites...
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline lance

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »
Osprey publishing has more artillery books than you can shake a stick at ;D
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline Asron87

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 12:50:59 AM »
Dom,

If you had to pick one, what one would it be? But I guess since you posted so many, whats your top three and why?

Thanks,
Aaron

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 06:54:06 AM »
Top three would be, Round Shot and Rammers and History of Artillery because they cover ordinance from pre Revolution to late 19th century and Field Artillery Weapons of the Civil War for the photos and diagrams.  Also Artillery and Ammunition of the Civil War.  This is coming from a builder's perspective.  From a user/shooter perspective I would choose The More Complete Cannoneer

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2010, 07:31:35 AM »
You might also want to check out subscribing to "The Artilleryman" magazine, comes out bi-monthly, I think....good articles and stories/pictures. BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2010, 07:36:02 AM »
You might also want to check out subscribing to "The Artilleryman" magazine, comes out bi-monthly, I think....good articles and stories/pictures. BoomLover

The Artilleryman comes out 4 times a year.  They have Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter issues.  I have enjoyed it for years.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Asron87

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2010, 05:16:07 PM »
Thank You Everyone,

So far so good. I ordered Round Shot and Rammers, Field Artillery Weapons of the Civil War, A History of Artillery and Building 18th Century Naval Artillery. I just now subscribed to The Artilleryman Magazine and plan on ordering the South Bend Replicas colleague (not quite sure how). I've been reading through my books for a while now and really like my selection. I plan on ordering more books (or magazines) but would like to know if any of you would recommend anything else or second anything that's already been posted.  

Thanks,
Aaron

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2010, 05:41:42 PM »
Arson87,
You will look through the South Bend Catalog for hours.  Be sure to get it.  Try through their website.  If that dose'nt work let me know.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2010, 06:11:18 PM »
How about some fiction.

David Poyers Civil War at Sea series. I have read and am now rereading Fire on the Waters and A Country of Our Own. I have the third book The Anvil of our Souls coming.  Lots Navel cannon stuff.

http://www.poyer.com/

FIRE ON THE WATERS: A Novel of the Civil War at Sea

In FIRE ON THE WATERS, Elisha Eaker is twenty, the scion of a wealthy and politically connected mercantile family in Manhattan.  As war looms, Eli joins the sloop of war U.S.S. Owanee as a volunteer, as much to escape his impending marriage to his headstrong cousin Araminta as to defend the flag.  There he meets Lieutenant Ker Claiborne at his own moment of decision.

Claiborne,  an Annapolis graduate, has seen action in the West Indies and the Africa Station as part of the U.S. Navy’s Antislavery Patrol.  Cool and competent in storm or battle, Claiborne now faces an agonizing choice between his two loves -- the Navy, and his native state of Virginia, which is on the verge of declaring for the fledgling Confederacy.  He knows no matter which he chooses, he'll be called a traitor.  How can a man who values honor renounce his oath?  But how can a man who loves his family, and his state, fight against them?

These two men, the Yankee and the Southerner, the volunteer and the regular, will personify the two sides in the desperate conflict that begins in 1861.  Together with their rationalist shipmate, engineer and freethinker Theodorus Hubbard; Eaker’s cousin and fiancee, horsewoman, thespian, and eventual spy Araminta Van Velsor; and escaped Georgia slave turned Navy gunner Calpurnius Hanks, they will face storms, mechanical breakdowns, official blundering, treachery, and eventually the test of battle in the greatest war in American history.

Real interesting passage on servicing a gun after firing a gun salute. Gun captain calls the drill step by step.  After worming the bore the Gun Captain calls for the worm to be inspected when it comes out.  Never seen that step before.  Lots of other neat details about sailing a coal fired steam sloop.  Very interesting story.

A COUNTRY OF OUR OWN
Second in the Epic Novel-Cycle of THE CIVIL WAR AT SEA

We first met Lt. Ker Custis Claiborne, formerly of the United States Navy, in Fire on the Waters.  By his own admission, Claiborne is "no admirer of the institution of Hamitic slavery."  Its horrors struck home on antislavery patrol along the Coromandel Coast in the 1850's.  But he's also a Virginian.  When the North decides to preserve an outworn Union by force, his course is clear.  In A Country of Our Own,  he "goes South", joining first the Virginia Navy, then the fledgling Confederate States Navy in April, 1861.

After defending the shores of the Potomac alongside the hastily mustered troops of the Army of Virginia, Ker runs the blockade out of New Orleans aboard a converted sidewheeler turned Confederate raider.  He and his saturnine  mentor Captain Parker Trezevant burn, sink, and destroy across the Caribbean, to undermine the Union's financial might and force a truce favorable to the Confederacy.

But when that first cruiser proves unstable, under-armed, and short-legged, Ker joins Commander James Bulloch in England, to buy or build a ship of war that can sweep Union commerce from the seas.  When a daring coup puts Ker in command of the fastest, most dangerous raider ever to range from Brazil to Boston -- the ex-opium clipper C.S.S. Maryland -- he'll set Yankee seamen a-tremble wherever the water's salt and seagulls scream.  And maybe even, decide the issue of the war.  

Starts out using Dahlgren boat howitzer to repel a Union lading on the shore of Viriginia along the Potomac river. Great gun battle at the end between IX Dahlgren and Armstrong Rifles-Confederate raider and Federal Navel vessel.

THAT ANVIL OF OUR SOULS

In this third volume of David Poyer’s monumental “Civil War at Sea” cycle, North meets South in the momentous battle between Monitor and Merrimack, or Virginia.

We first met Eli Eaker, Theodorus Hubbard, Araminta Van Velsor, Alphaeus Steele, Cal Hanks, and Ker and Catherine Claiborne in Fire on the Waters.  Then, in A Country of Our Own, Ker Claiborne took the war North as captain of the most dangerous Confederate raider ever to put to sea.    Now That Anvil of Our Souls takes us into the turrets and casemates of the most historic sea engagement of the Civil War.  In New York, Theo Hubbard, engineer for a revolutionary new “fighting machine” called the Monitor, compromises his future by accepting a bribe.  In Norfolk, Catherine Claiborne faces her husband’s impending hanging for piracy, the death of their baby daughter, and the bitter realities of enemy occupation.

In Richmond, Lt. Lomax Minter searches for a spy who threatens the Confederacy’s ultimate weapon: an invulnerable ironclad named Virginia, rebuilt from a sunken wreck in a race against time.  While the aging Dr. Alphaeus Steele witnesses the horror that’s the aftermath of glory; and gun-captain and escaped slave Calpurnius Hanks struggles with the demons of his past and the challenges of freedom.

Poyer’s vivid fictional characters join meticulously researched historic figures to re-create the bloodiest conflict in American history – one whose reverberations will endure as long as freedom, equality, and home have different meanings in proud and unyielding hearts.

Captain David Poyer's twenty-five novels make him the most popular living author of American sea fiction.  Sailor, engineer, and retired Navyman, he lives on Virginia's Eastern Shore with novelist Lenore Hart and their daughter.

I haven't read this one yet, but if it's ,like Poyers other two should be a good one

Offline Asron87

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2010, 08:32:11 PM »
DD,

I've never been much of a fan for fiction, no matter how hard I try I just end up not being able to get into the book. I think the last fiction book I read and enjoyed was was in the 5th grade when I read Hatchet by Gary Paulsen but now I find myself wanting to read history books. I've always liked history but never thought I'd actually find myself wanting to spend my limited amount of money on history books (and cannons). Round Shot and Rammers gives a good General overview and Field Artillery of the Civil War gives a better understanding of the Civil war era, but I'd also like to read up on Revolutionary War cannons and anything older.

Aaron

Offline Double D

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2010, 10:19:06 PM »
FWIW, these are historical fiction.

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2010, 03:34:30 AM »
Historical fiction is almost all I read.  And I read a lot.  It can take you to places like you never dreamed of and teach you things you never learned in history class.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com