Author Topic: gun cleaning-Dipping and rope cleaner  (Read 1978 times)

Offline ghostZ

• Trade Count: (0)
gun cleaning-Dipping and rope cleaner
« on: November 20, 2003, 04:07:17 AM »
I have been looking at a few things to help me keep the ol guns clean.  I have seen a various shops a rope that says it has a brass brush built into it.  It also says it will do every thing you need.  I haven't bought one to try it yet because I would think that(atleast for me) you would use bore cleaner(powder solvent)/brass brush until it is pretty clean then a few oiled patches until they come out clean.  Now would you need more than one rope say one for the solvent and one for oil?  If any of you out there have/had them please let me know about them.

Also I have seen dip buckets with a cleaner in them...usually they are pretty small and kinda expensive...are these worth it.  What do you do when the cleaner gets dirty?  Can this cleaner hurt O-rings or plastic?  How are these generally used?

Sorry about this being a long post but you guys are a heck of alot better than asking the guy at the gun shop!

Offline jhm

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2003, 11:53:32 AM »
Ghost:  Take a look at the otis cleaning system it may be what you are looking for, I love mine. :D    JIM

Offline Silverado

• http://www.excelonmars.com/Canada
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2003, 01:44:38 PM »
ghostz,
What you're talking about is a Bore Snake. I use one on all my rifles, and they work great. A few drops of cleaner ahead of the brush, drag'er through a few times, and you're good to go. The only time I use the rod etc. is for cleaning heavy copper out of the bore. The snake is super for a lever gun too, as you don't need to pull the bolt to clean the bore. When it gets dirty, you can clean it with solvent, or wash it and let it dry.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2003, 04:17:14 PM »
I use bore snakes on all of my rifles.  They work fantastic!  

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline SBF

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.members.cox.net/cruffler
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2003, 05:40:43 PM »
I've never used the boresnakes before but I do use the Patchworm for my light cleaning duties.  It works great in my modified 10/22 and Henry .22 lever gun that don't allow easy access to the chamber.

Can you wash the bore snake?  I would think it would get awful dirty real quick.
SmallBoreFreak and Cruffler

Offline ghostZ

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2003, 09:31:01 AM »
Quote from: SBF
....Can you wash the bore snake?  I would think it would get awful dirty real quick.

The bore snake is what I was talking about.  I also wonder the above Q.  
Another thing to those that use them...what about oiling your barrel?

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2003, 03:08:25 PM »
I put a little BreakFree CLP near the end of the bore snake on my last pass thru. Works for me.
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2003, 03:24:37 PM »
No problem washing them.  I put mine in an old sock (tie up the end of the sock) and throw it in the washer.  It comes fine, no problem. This is what the manufacturer recommends.  Then I use my regular cleaning rod to run an oil patch through it when I put it away for the season.  

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2003, 06:00:06 AM »
I especially like the bore snakes for the target range and in the field when often only a light pass throught is required. When hunting prarrie dogs I'll run one throught about every 20-25 shots and on the range when working up loads, a few passes after every series. effectiveness depends on the bore size. The one for my 243's it a tight fit, takes a pretty good tug to get it through and scrubs the bore pretty good. The one for my 308 isn't as tight and takes a few more passes to get the job done but overall still does a good job.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2004, 07:10:22 PM »
I dont really like those snakes. Too big of a chance of dragging crud & grit
ACROSS the rifling.

I use a one piece stainless rod. (Never aluminum or jointed) Will also use a gun vise so rod can be held by the handle. The handle is designed to spin freely so the clean patch will FOLLOW the rifling.
The jag I use is the pointed type so as to spear  the patch in the center.

Offline jrcanoe

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2004, 01:47:20 PM »
I use bore snakes for general cleaning while the gun is in use and a good rod if the gun is going into the safe for a while. I also use weed wacker line in some guns that I haven't got a bore snake for yet. I mix up a gallon of Ed's red for dipping barreled actions for general cleaning and break out the old tooth brushes and dental picks and take the gun down to it's various pieces parts for a compleat  cleaning if the gun is going into the safe for a while. Dipping and bore snakes are just a stop gap measure, they get the gun clean like my house is clean but my Mom would call it a filthy pig sti, She would die of a heart attack if she ever came over unannounced and saw it in it's normal state.

Offline RipOne

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2004, 04:04:06 AM »
I'm using them for the cleaner finishing work ( Hornady ONE SHOT gun cleaner & dry lube ) - I make the solvent and dirty run-throughs with a rod and patch. I like Varmint Al's writings on the subject of Gun Cleaning.

http://www.varmintal.net/
David L Hunt ... Breath 1-2-3 Pulse-Pull

Offline snowdog

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2004, 02:54:53 PM »
bore snake on my winchester 94  and now also on the marlin 336,
   cleans it good  don't have to take it apart,   I shoot about
  1 or two times a week,  around 10-15 rnd for each gun,   then about
  three times a year,  i pull out the cleaning rod and get into, and
  do a good bore cleaning.  45/70 I  do clean with a rod  but then
  a shot it about half as much as the oth two.  the bore snake works
  great.  went to it cause I was worried about  crowning.  didn't
  really use to with the win  cause I only shot it about  a half dozen
  times a year.  but  since I shot it ALOT more now  due to reloading
  it works out good.  I feel the bore snake bristles are a better risk
  to take than screwing up the barrell with a cleaning rod.
30-30....45/70...... does anything else matter?