Author Topic: Old Do It All  (Read 871 times)

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
Old Do It All
« on: May 05, 2010, 04:35:31 AM »
I have decided to simplify and am cutting back on calibers.  I intend to keep my .357 winchester trapper and a 38 special airweight snubby that handles +P loads.  I am going to reload 38 for both.  I am seeking help in finding a cast bullet design that will load reliably in my rifle without possibility of going off in magazine.  At the same time I want to be able to use it in my snubnose for plinking and practice.  I have a brother in law with more than 40 5 gal buckets of wheel weights setting in his shed.  Any help will be appreciated.

blindhari
TANSTAAFL

Offline ND Sharpshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Old Do It All
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 12:30:22 PM »
Many, many years ago Veral made a 150 WFN 2 cavity mould for me that works excellently in all my 35 cal rifles and handguns.  It's a gas check design and can be pushed to nearly unbelievable fps in a rifle and should work in 38 Spl practice/squib loads if you skip seating a gas check.  I've used it a lot in my 357's.  That WFN is a lethal design.  I'd suggest giving Veral a holler.
Never said I didn''t know how to use one.  :wink:

Offline Veral

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Lead Bullet Technology
Re: Old Do It All
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 07:45:10 PM »
 ND sharpshooter has the answer.  You need to stay with around 160 gr to make the pistol shoot to the sights.  If you'd like a bit more weight, you might up the weight to 170 gr max, but experiment with any weight heavier than 160 gr to see if you can get the speed high enough to print where the sights point.  It isn't wise to have the pistol throwing them higher than where the sights point, which will happen if you can't get a heavier weight moving fast enough.
Veral Smith