Author Topic: Anyone have experience with VORTEX scopes?  (Read 439 times)

Offline Poopers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Anyone have experience with VORTEX scopes?
« on: May 05, 2010, 08:16:44 AM »
I searched the forum but didnt really find anything.. so Im asking. Does anyone have a review of Vortex scopes? In particular the crossfire series? I found a Vortex 8-32x50 Crossfire for $219 and it would be a good deal... IF they arent garbage

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Re: Anyone have experience with VORTEX scopes?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 05:42:50 PM »
Great warranty if anything goes wrong.  The Crossfire isn't the top of the line, but they are a good optic for the money.  I've heard of a couple pooping out, but they have been fixed under warranty with no issues.  You could definitely do worse for the money.

Offline Dances with Geoducks

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 07:25:26 PM »
I had a 8x50 crossfire, first gen, best $99 ever spent. Its till hanging off a friends R5

I still have their red/green dot on the Mrs SKS, where it will spend the rest of its life

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 11:06:57 PM »
I don't want to bad mouth Vortex, or any brand scope, but you do tend to get what you pay for in optics, at least in the lower and mid levels.  I have real doubts about the optical quality, or durability of a $200 8X32 power scope.  Usually the resolution is so poor at higher magnifications so as to be unusable.  That said, I have no experience with this brand, so offer these words in generic terms.  Look thru one before you buy.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 11:07:58 AM »
While I tend to agree (actually I agree whole heartedly), I will go out on a limb and say that the Vortex will generally be better than most scopes in (its) price range.

My experiences with Vortex are limited to the Viper line, and I've only looked through a couple of Crossfires.  I liked the Viper so much I talked my Dad into one. 

I may get one for one of my .22s here soon since I just broke another Bushnell Banner that was sitting on it, but I'll leave it at that.  I'll stick with proven higher-end optics for hunting.