Author Topic: Browning BL-22 lever action Versus Marlin 39A?  (Read 4670 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Browning BL-22 lever action Versus Marlin 39A?
« on: May 06, 2010, 11:45:49 AM »
Traded off one of my Ruger 10/22's, the cheapie version, now have room to get another rimfire.  I have looked at the Marlin 39A lever action, nice beefy sized gun, and the Browning lever action, seems more compact, a good carry rifle.

I read the comments on the Marlin and am reluctant, complains about the triggers, etc. on the new models.  I have owned 3 Marlins, a Model 25 bolt action, made of soft steel, would get fliers when target shooting, sold it.  A model 60 that jammed when I first bought it, after warranty work, I put a few thousand rounds through it, started jamming again, sold it.  And a Marlin 336 in 30-30, ok gun but seemed cheap, traded it.

I have only had 2 Brownings, a BPS pump shotgun, excellent for trap and hunting.  And a Buck mark .22 cal. pistol, works great.  I never read anything bad on the Browning.  The Henrys are tempting but I have read that they are on the light side for durability.  Would I be better off with the Browning or the Marlin?

Thanks.

Offline WIL TERRY

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Browning BL-22 lever action Versus Marlin 39A?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 12:20:22 PM »
It would seem to me, Sir, from what I read here you will never ever be happy with anything from MARLIN so you might just as well buy the BROWNING and be done with it.

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 01:43:33 PM »
+2

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 01:48:34 PM »
I'm a huge Marlin fan but I have to say the 39As I've owned have given me tons of trouble.  I like them a lot better than the Browning when they work.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 01:55:52 PM »
  I'd pick the BLR over the NEW 39, but to be honest, i picked the Henry lever over both, and i like it very much.

DM

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 02:13:29 PM »
I own 2 BL-22s and a Marlin 39A.
Even though for a guy 6'2" the BL-22 feels a bit small I will grab it before the Marlin. The Browning shoots better in my hands.

Offline Lurker

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 04:19:32 PM »
I own eight Marlin 39's in various style models. I had one Browning BL-22. I didn't care for the BL-22, or the finish to the wood, so I gave it to my son. He loves it...! But then what does he know?

I have never had a problem with anything from Marlin.

Bill

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 04:46:54 PM »
My wife loved her Marlin 39A, but left it with her first husband. I bought her a Marlin 70C, but she didn't like it as well (didn't like the clip feed), would rather have a Remington 552 (tube feed) Neither of these are leverguns. Yup, I swapped what she didn't want for what she did. Still might find a deal on a levergun, and then I'll have some of this same debate as the OP.

My rabbit hunting pal in Wyoming had a Browning BLR-22 that I drooled over. Then, one day he brought out a new Henry 22 levergun. Said he wanted to keep the Browning for a pass-down to the grandkids and the Henry actually felt more like a levergun should. Been 10 years now, and he still has that opinion.
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline mrbigtexan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 05:33:29 AM »
i like my browning better then the henry and marlin. i have not shot the ruger.

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 05:56:39 AM »
Wil Terry...yeh, it does look like I am biased against Marlin with my experience.  Sometimes American companies change and do better with their products.  I bought the Marlin Model 60 in 1979, and the Model 25 in the early 1990's, I think Marlin got bought out by Remington.  I get several gun magazines and there are announcements on mergers frequently these days, too hard to remember them all.  This may or may not help Marlin with new owners.

Browning is now merged with Winchester and I think they are owned by FN of Belgium, oh, the merry go round of merger mania!   :-[

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 07:20:24 AM »
Never owned a model 39, but I do have a BL-22, and the fit and finish is great.  Reliable, and accurate, though the trigger is a little stiff.  Some people don't like the light weight of the gun, but that's a personal preference I guess.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline mbopp

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 07:45:57 AM »
I bought my lefty wife a BL-22 30 years ago so she could go to the range with me. I never did like the way a scope looked on it, they all seemed too big for the lines of the gun.
But - I put a 1" red dot on and now it's a neat little plinker gun. Yeah the trigger is stiff but I like the short lever throw and the fact the trigger pivots down so you don't pinch your finger on the return.
Never tried a Marlin or Henry so I can't comment on them.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government, lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." -- Patrick Henry, American Patriot

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 11:01:25 AM »
I have a Henry, a Winchester (22mag), a BL-22, Ruger 10/22 and a Remington(I think-it is ancient and I haven't shot it in months).

My pick to buy new - Henry hands down.

My pick to buy if I am going to spend money on me another 22 - Winchester 9422 to match the 9422M I currently have. The Winchester just feels so much better than the others, but the Henry is the closest to matching it.

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline Bigeasy

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 01:05:50 PM »
Daman brought up a good point-  I forgot all about the 9422.  If you don't mind buying used, they are a great gun.  I have one in .22 mag, and it is fantastic.  Even though the quality of fit and finish varied some with the later Winchesters, the 9422's always seemed to maintain a high level of quality right until the end.  They are an excellent choice in a full size / weight gun.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 07:39:37 PM »
Thanks for that Larry - I may have to give a 9422 a looksee.
Any particular time period to look for or stay clear of?
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline Bigeasy

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 08:28:39 PM »
Sweetwater-

I think the 9422 remained pretty consistent throughout it's production span.  My 9422 22 mag is a late 1970's production.  I like it without the checkering that is on some of the later models as it more closely matches my pre-64 #94.  The XTR series of the 9422 had particularly high polish finish, and later models I believe had the cross bolt safety - some like it, some don't.

Offline Keith L

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 01:33:33 AM »
My 9422M is an XTR and is beautifully finished.  It has cut checkering and works like a champ.  I bought it three years ago used for $175.  That is one of the guns that is in my will.  I love the way it looks and feels.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 04:43:44 AM »
  The Winchesters are pretty nice, but i never liked how heavy they are, so i never bought one.

DM

Offline Tom C.

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 10:11:26 AM »
My first gun was a Marlin 39A. I still have it and it was recently rebarreled after tens of thousands of rounds. Five years ago I got a 39M. Great gun. A few months ago I found a 9422 with some rust that I decided to grab. I haven’t shot enough to be sure, but it seems very nice. I recently saw a very nice BL-22, but passed on it because they wanted $480 for it.
Tom

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 10:15:55 AM »
I have a Golden 39-A from the 70's and love it did have a problem once . Have shot the Browning and it is a great gun . The winchestr both LR and mag are good guns . The henery i have not shot . Seems you like Browning go for it .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline silverbuzzard

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 12:35:50 PM »
The 39 [ I have owned 3] is too darn heavy with the 24 inch barrel
It hangs beautiful to fire but to carry it is a bit much. Cannot figure why Marlin does not go 20".
I recently bought a Browning and like our past president said " From my cold dead hands"
oh ,I'm sorry Charlton  was the NRA pres. well , shoulda been the US pres.

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 11:48:12 AM »
I have a BL-22 I've had for a long time and really like it better than all the other 22's of various action types. Came across a Marlin 39A at a good price so I bought it. After taking it out a few times, I really like the BL-22 much better. Lighter, better feel in the hands. Will probably give the Marlin to one of the grandkids cause I doubt I'll ever take it out to shoot again.
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline bckskin2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 08:17:41 AM »
When I was a kid, long ago & far far away, my best friend got a Marlin lever gun. I had a single shot Steven and felt very underprivileged. That Marlin was the most amazing rifle. One of my cousins got a use Winchester pump with an octagon barrel. We could put about 1/2 box of shorts in it. Loved it too. My personal favorite right now in a stone stock plain Jane 10/22. It shoots better than I can hold!