Author Topic: does any one know how much a leupold employe get off there products  (Read 736 times)

Offline Redneckguy77

• Trade Count: (0)
  • punchin 10's all day
hey i was wondering if anyone knows how much Leupold employees get off there products. an guess helps too.

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
My somewhat educated guess is around 30%.  If anyone here is military/LEO and has their heart set on a Mark 2 or Mark 4, hit me up in message land, I may have some info for ya.

Offline Redneckguy77

• punchin 10's all day
how much are the mark 4 8.5-25x50 illuminated tmr

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Leupold uses MAP pricing, so they are pretty much the same everywhere.  If that is what you are asking.

Offline Terbltim

• Avid Poster
My guess would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 50% or better.
Reasoning:
They make thousands every year, many of which don't get sold for many years and some not at all. The ones that do sell must carry the company.
Big distributors have pallets of scopes in the back of warehouses that have been sitting there for years...all brands.
This is true of all similar industries and products.
Only about 50% of what is placed in a big marketplace [like rifle scopes] ever actually get to the consumer...because of the competition.
There is also very stiff competition in the optics market and none of the older names are anywhere near as competitive as they were 40 or 50 years ago.
The cheap scopes from over-seas factories have forced the entire industry to trim everything they can while getting as many products on the shelves as possible.
Their only way of making a profit is by volume sales.
Therefore the mark-up from the bottom line of cost must be pretty high just to pay for being in the pipeline until it actually sells.
That's what I think based on my toe-hold understanding of the business.
BTW, about half of all Leupold scopes I've seen had to be sent back to the factory for correction. They are as-full of faults as every other brand name you care to point at.
"Stop global whining!"

Offline Redneckguy77

• punchin 10's all day
Reasoning:
They make thousands every year, many of which don't get sold for many years and some not at all. The ones that do sell must carry the company.
Big distributors have pallets of scopes in the back of warehouses that have been sitting there for years...all brands.
Only about 50% of what is placed in a big marketplace [like rifle scopes] ever actually get to the consumer...because of the competition.
There is also very stiff competition in the optics market and none of the older names are anywhere near as competitive as they were 40 or 50 years ago.
The cheap scopes from over-seas factories have forced the entire industry to trim everything they can while getting as many products on the shelves as possible.
Therefore the mark-up from the bottom line of cost must be pretty high just to pay for being in the pipeline until it actually sells.
BTW, about half of all Leupold scopes I've seen had to be sent back to the factory for correction. They are as-full of faults as every other brand name you care to point at.

i live about 5 miles away from there corporate office 

Offline Redneckguy77

• punchin 10's all day
Leupold uses MAP pricing, so they are pretty much the same everywhere.  If that is what you are asking.
i was seeing if you new how much they were on a regular bases

Offline v-man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Don't want to reveal to much info but a Leupold exec I know was passing along his cost to me which was 60% of the MSRP. Got a 3 real nice $1000+ scopes for $400+ and wanted more but felt like I should quit before being cut-off.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)

I really question that 50% figure.  I have owned about a dozen Leupolds with no problems.  Any product with a 50% failure would not last long on the market..

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
you and your buddys must use them to drive nails. Ive owned at least a dozen of them through the years and havent had a single problem with any of them. My best friend owns a gunshop and really isnt a leupold fan. He prefers nikons but will be the first to tell you that hes never had to return a leupold. He said out of the mid priced scopes hes returned more buris scopes then the rest combined.  Personaly ive sent in 2 buris and 1 nikon and bushmasters for repairs. Only leupold was one i jammed the power ring when i dropped it on a rock and leupold sent me a new scope. Old one was OLD and kind of beat up so i thought i made out just fine on that deal. Ill step aside and let people talk about how there X brand has better optics then a leupold for the same money but not when they question there reliability. Leupolds were allready reliable back when the others were junk and are still the first choise for more dangerous game guns then the rest combined. why? because they take a beating and keep on ticking. Leupold bashing seems to be the cool thing to do on the internet lately. A few wet behind the ears young people with litte actual experience with them that are to cheap to buy good optics tried to justify buying there cheaper scopes by claiming there better rather then admitting that what they bought is all they could afford and then all the internet experts jumped on the bandwagon as usual. Ive used them for 35 years and in some abusive situations and though im the first to admit a varix2 doesnt have the optics a ziess has there every bit a durable as any thing made at any price. 
Reasoning:

blue lives matter

Offline v-man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: does any one know how muck a leupold employe get off there products
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 02:49:06 AM »
Ditto Bigeasy and Lloyd. I've sent back a Simmons and a Tasco. I've thrown away a Weaver. But I'm battin' 1000 with 6 Leupolds over the past 15 years. I'm not trying to make anyone mad but better quality really does cost more. I like to go cheap when I can, too but when I do I don't try to justify it by bashing the high end products that I couldn't or wouldn't buy. I know several people who insist Leupold is overpriced junk. Funny thing is they've never owned one. Those that forked out the money aren't usually the ones criticizing them. It's funny how every forum I frequent has this same discussion from time to time.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 03:19:33 AM »
I know the pro-buys aren't that good, with 30% off list and when the order is placed they inscribe your name on the scope making it apparent that it was a pro buy.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 04:18:45 AM »
what is a probuy? Ive never heard of it.
I know the pro-buys aren't that good, with 30% off list and when the order is placed they inscribe your name on the scope making it apparent that it was a pro buy.
blue lives matter

Offline victorcharlie

Re: does any one know how much a leupold employe get off there products
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 06:39:16 AM »
If you work in certain professions you qualify for pro-buys.

While I was working at a large chain, I could do 6 pro-buys a year.

Burris has a great pro buy with 70% off retail.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater