Author Topic: Wild hog hunting in Texas, real problem, or tourist hype?  (Read 11434 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Wild hog hunting in Texas, real problem, or tourist hype?
« on: May 08, 2010, 12:40:23 PM »
When I was living in Minnesota we read articles about how destructive the hogs are in Texas, Tennessee, etc.  Now that I live in central Texas all I read about are property owners who let you come onto their land and you have to pay hundreds of dollars to hunt hogs.  I am getting the impression that there really is not a problem, for if it was they would want lots of guys to come with their AR-15's and clear the area of the pests.  I was on a train ride last week into Burnett, Texas and I saw lots of animals from my window, but not a single hog.

I know that prairie dog hunting has gotten commercial, pests, yeh sure!  But there can be a stiff attitude on pest control.  There was a bad problem, a so called catastrophe, 10 years ago with the snow goose population becoming so large in the arctic breeding grounds that they lifted some restrictions on hunting them in the North Dakota flyway, if they were so bad, the hunters should have been able to shoot as many as they wanted for free, or even get paid to do it, like a bounty.  The goose hunters I talked to said they had to abide by restrictions and buy a license.

Paying to shoot prairie dogs or wild hogs would be like me charging a fee for pest removal service to eliminate fire ant and wasp nests on my land, instead of me paying them.

Concerning Texas, is this more of a tourist advertisement lure to get more money into the state or are charged hunts the minority?   

Offline S_J_KENNELS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • I hunt hogs with dogs. Any questions?
Re: Wild hog hunting in Texas, real problem, or tourist hype?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 03:17:51 PM »
There are alot of big ranches that now charge for hog hunts. However talk to farmers and small time ranchers and you can hunt all the hogs you want for free. I get calls everyday from farmers wanting me to bring the dogs out to their land and kill all the hogs I can. Hogs are VERY distructive to farming operations and to hay fields on ranches. They cause alot of big $$$$$$ damage to the crops and equimpment of the farmers/ranchers. The only time I see folks charging is on game ranches or farmers/ranchers looking to gain some profit from their problem. The latter will let you hunt still if you get to know them for free, BUT you have to get their trust. I used to guide and charge for hunts so I could TRY to off set my costs of fuel and dog food, but I still did not make enough to help much LOL.
Shane

Offline markc

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 03:56:16 PM »
Only went snow goose hunting a couple of times, had a great time.  In Texas a few short years back, they liberalized the restrictions on snow geese, unplugged barrells, increased bag limits, extended the season and allowed electronic calls.   

As for hogs, yes they are a real problem in Texas.  A check of the parks n wildlife site provides plenty of evidence.  However, I am with you the question of why land owners are not opening their land up to some degree, and within reason to thin out feral hogs.  Personally on my local lease, I have taken numerous people out there to shoot hogs and thin them out.  I have recently taken a co-worker 2 times and told him he can't come back if he can't kill a pig.  He did manage to shoot some squirrells and racoons, and turtles though. 

While I am picky about who I hunt with, I have had a hard time among the folks I know, finding someone who wants to go hunt feral hogs. 

For some landowners, it is an issue of liability I suppose. 
markc

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 05:56:02 AM »
I'm moving to San Antonio this summer.  I would LOVE to be able to hunt hogs without paying the fees that I am find online.  I also have a couple of kids (one 16.5 and one 10) that need some hunting time.  We have lived in Germany the past 4.5 years and they haven't been able to hunt here.  We will only be there for a year at most so I don't really have time to meet a bunch of folks.  We come well armed and will be ready hunt by August.  Y'all let me know if we might make a deal and kill a few hogs.  Would only want maybe one for the freezer, you could have any others or donate them somewhere.  I'll even buy snacks and drinks... and maybe a pre-hunt dinner.

NGH
"I feared for my life!"

Offline markc

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 09:50:06 AM »
NGH what kind of fees are you finding on-line?
markc

Offline sweetwyominghome

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 07:18:54 PM »
Hogs are indeed a problem in Texas, and gaining access is not that hard to do. I have never hunted with dogs or trapped them extensively -- and most of my hunting has been with single shots -- and yet I have killed well into 3 figures.

Talk to a rancher who has lost lambs or kid goats to hogs or a farmer who saw his crop fields destroyed, and you'll soon find out how much of a problem there is -- and how much the hogs are despised. Or try shredding a pasture that has been rooted up or wallowed, and once you pay for expensive repair bills, you, too, will quickly learn to despise them.

I've enjoyed hunting them very much. But I also shoot them on sight as they are an extreme nuisance and not something to be taken lightly.

Offline radar

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 11:19:23 AM »
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/search/?areaID=53&subAreaID=&query=hog+hunt&catAbb=sss

Here you go, check some of these out. You are not gonna hunt for free down here unless you know someone or own your land. Just the way it is.

Offline markc

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 03:44:32 PM »
sweetwyominghome
Nice pics, and what sweet single shots you have.   Very beautiful wood on a few of those.  Would I be correct to guess that you handload for those rifles?   
markc

Offline sweetwyominghome

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 08:57:26 PM »
Mark-

Thanks. And yes, you are correct: the 2 that get the most use -- the 6.5 Bullberry IMP and the 7mm Bullberry -- are strictly reloading-only propositions. But they are simple to work with and a joy to load as the barrels -- a Bullberry and an MGM -- are not finicky and digest everything with aplomb.

Some view the single shots as limited in application, but to me, that is not so -- and as you can see with the following photos, I use them for just about anything I may want to shoot.

Offline markc

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 03:14:17 PM »
Very nice pics, you've had some training or are just a natural with the camera, and posing some of those animals.   What velocity is that 6.5BB getting?  It must be moving pretty fast I am guessing. 
markc

Offline sweetwyominghome

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 06:56:28 PM »
Mark-

Thanks for the kind words. Actually, I picked up photography on my own while working in the newspaper business and then began shooting my own photos while employed as a sports editor. From there, I had an offer to work for another daily paper as a photographer, which I accepted and remained for 7 years, before moving on to opening my own studio in 1995. Recently, though, my failing health has forced me to close its doors -- and I truly miss it. But I had to be realistic, work myself through the denial phase and face the facts.

As to the velocities of the 6.5 BB IMP, I am quite pleased with what I am getting. My original goal was a 140 grainer at 2400-2425 fps. I am actually getting 2501 fps with the 140 grain GameKing, 2626 with the 129 grain Hornady SP and 2637 fps with the 130 grain Accubond. Brass life is excellent, and thanks to the long throat and 26" barrel, N160 -- generally considered a bit slow for this chambering -- is what makes it shine. Other powders fall at least 50-100 fps short of what N160 does.

I have settled on 37.5 grain of N160 and use this charge with all of the aforementioned projectiles.

Recoil is extremely mild, as is the report. But the on-game performance is superb, to say the least. The 129 grain Hornady SP is what I have been shooting lately, and it retains over 1200 ft./lbs. of energy at the 300 yard mark. That's about as far as I'd ever be shooting at big game anyway, but there is no denying it has the capabilities to work well out past that range.

My longest shot on a big game animal with it was a boar hog at a lasered 292 yards. The 130 grain AB entered tight behind the shoulder, wrecked the lungs and exited through the opposite shoulder of the 170 pound porker. He made no more than 20 yards before piling up.

That typifies the type of performance I've come to expect from this little round.

Offline markc

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 05:09:57 AM »
Your post reminds me of how enjoyable it was when i was handloading with my dad a number of years back.  He has gotten a bit old to go shooting much anymore, and I have gotten too busy.  That should change in 8.5 months when retire from the city job, and have more time on my hands.  It was rewarding as I recall, working up a load, then firing at the range.  adjusting powder charges etc.. then finally testing it out during a hunt.  Something about harvesting game with loads and a rifle you worked with for a good while is hard to beat.   Sorry to hear about your health problems, but I could tell that you had some experienc with the camera.   
markc

Offline HL

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 03:34:50 AM »
As a land owner in Central Texas, I will respond to your Question of whether it's hype or fact.

Hogs have taken over many areas of the central Texas Counties, even around Burnette.

As a land owner, the reason I do not open up my ranch to others, for the sake of killing the hogs, is in the past, we have had cattle shot, the ranch trashed with garbage that the hunters figured they could throw out of their trucks, since they are in the country, and just a lack of respect from others for my property.

It's always amazing that when livestock is found dead from gunshot, no one knows how it happened. For many of us ranchers, when you lose a cow or bull like that, it would be the same as me going to that hunters place of work on payday and tearing up his paycheck.

Just can't afford to let someone on the place for free. That's why there are many ranchers charging for hog hunting. Not only to cover the cost of an accident, but also to make a little extra $$, since it's not the guaranteed paycheck that most get from working.

Offline markc

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 05:37:03 AM »
Just can't afford to let someone on the place for free. That's why there are many ranchers charging for hog hunting. Not only to cover the cost of an accident, but also to make a little extra $$, since it's not the guaranteed paycheck that most get from working.

HL, thank you for the post.  In part, this is what I was getting at with the liability issue.  I am selective as to who I take to my property to hunt, shoot, or even camp.  For those who do not own property, it is a question that is frequently asked.  Since you earn your living from your property, it is an even more serious issue.   Having insurance to protect yourself and your property from accidents by hunters/shooters that lead to law suits, makes it even more difficult to allow individuals to come out and shoot hogs for free. 
markc

Offline S_J_KENNELS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 06:42:15 AM »
in the past, we have had cattle shot, the ranch trashed with garbage that the hunters figured they could throw out of their trucks, since they are in the country, and just a lack of respect from others for my property.

That is one of the problems we run into all the time when looking for permission to hunt new land. Folks like you just discribed is what gives good hunters a bad name. Like they say one bad apple can ruin the whole batch.

This is why I myself am not affraid to take potential land owners out on a hunt with me on land I already have permission to hunt as well as give out referance #'s to them if they want them. One rule I have is leave the land in as good or better shape then you found it. One of the places I hunt has multiple hunters on it, and we are always picking up their trash or cig butts so we do not loose permission to hunt there. It sucks we have to do it but somebody does or good by hunting spot.
Shane

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 04:47:08 PM »
Ditto to HL's post.

In the past I let some folks hunt my property, however after picking up their trash, repairing fences/gates they tore up and spending days looking for lost cattle they allowed to escape through open gates I decided it would be best to stop all hunting except for family.  This has sure eliminated a lot of extra work for me.

Offline S_J_KENNELS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 05:04:14 AM »
Ditto to HL's post.

In the past I let some folks hunt my property, however after picking up their trash, repairing fences/gates they tore up and spending days looking for lost cattle they allowed to escape through open gates I decided it would be best to stop all hunting except for family.  This has sure eliminated a lot of extra work for me.

Sorry to hear that you and HL have had that problem. It is hunters like that that give us bad reps, and like I said in my post above yours harder for responsible hunters to get good places to hunt.

Most hog doggers if they are legit will take a landowner whos land they want to hunt on a hunt to show off their dogs and how they hunt/manage their current land they have permission on. I know I do. Our mission or motto other then kill all the hogs is LEAVE THE LAND IN OR BETTER SHAPE THEN YOU FOUND IT.
Shane

Offline Justin10mm

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 08:06:02 AM »
I think I prefer the hogs to a bunch of strangers with guns walking all over my place.
Hog hunt for free. It's just a myth.

Offline S_J_KENNELS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 04:53:14 PM »
I think I prefer the hogs to a bunch of strangers with guns walking all over my place.
Hog hunt for free. It's just a myth.

Hog hunting for free is NOT a myth. I have access to thousands of acres to hunt hogs at no cost. It can be done. We do it all the time. But then we take care of the owners land and earn their respect and trust. Also we do not carry but one maybe two guns when we hunt and they are pistols. To protect the dogs and ourselfs if the chit hits the fan LOL. 99% of the time we never have to pull our pistols. I can count on one hand how many times I have had to use it in 14 yrs of hunting hogs with dogs and knifes. I wished folks would not ruin places for others to hunt, but that is the way it goes.
Shane

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 06:16:10 PM »
I appreciate the replies from you fellows, nice photos too.  In the old days in Oregon and Minnesota I used to drive around and ask for permission to target shoot and small game hunt on people's land, I might do that again, or find a way to advertise my time to come out and remove hogs.  Another issue is I don't have much room for a big hog, if I had another freezer and a family to feed there would be some merit, otherwise I would have to leave multiple dead hogs for the crows/vultures.  I can understand the liability thing, but I won't pay money to remove other people's pest problems, that would be like me paying my neighbor $1,000 to cut his lawn, my mother didn't raise a fool.  An option for those who suffer from the damage, why don't you use traps and kill them that way?   

I am a varmint hunter by nature and could use my flexibility to at least get on the property by taking out pigeons, starlings, rodents, etc.  I have never hunted ducks or deer and have no desire to do so, I am glad of that as I see prices in the thousands just to cull a plain whitetail, $1,500.00 on the King Ranch, and even more for a buck with a nice rack, that is insane! :o  It would be cheaper to go out of state and pay the non-resident fees if I changed my mind and went after white tails, etc.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 09:50:19 PM »
I have permission to hunt on three differant ranches down in the Texas Hill country.  All it took was for me to kill a bunch of hogs for the ranchers.  I killed hogs on a friends ranch.  After I shot a whole bunch they then invited me to hunt Deer with them on the portion reserved for family.  Seems the guys with the deer lease don't shoot hogs.  Once word got out to the neighbors, I was invited to come and talk with them.  When they found out I was an old Tennessee farm boy, I was given permission to go to their ranches and kill hogs there as well.  They were comfortable I knew the differance between cows and hogs.  I've been doing this for about 8 years now.  Since I am usually down there in Jan and Feb, hogs are the only thing open at that time anyway.

I talked to my rancher friend last week and told her I want to bring my Weatherby down this year.  I want to shoot them at 700 to 800 yards.    
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline 40inarow

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2010, 07:26:13 PM »
I live in Boerne. I have two ranches in Bandera and one in Cuero that I hunt hogs for free. These landowners have problems with hogs. The rancher in Cuero has big problems with hogs destroying his pastures. I met these ranchers through word of mouth. I respect the property, follow the ranchers directions to the letter, and bring favors ( 12 pack ) when I come. It's not that hard if you have any common sense.

Offline no guns here

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 07:57:42 AM »
I live in San Antonio (Lackland AFB) and would be more than willing to schedule in some work time (sweat equity) on land within an hour or so in exchange for hunting.  My wife's family and mine are all from southern Oklahoma and we are well versed in closing gates, picking up trash, pushing calves, etc.  We know the difference between hogs, deer and cattle.  All you'll find is tire tracks on the roads and foot prints in the mud.  Well, that and maybe a gut pile but we can bury or haul that out as required.  I have some kids that need to hunt...

Thanks,
NGH
"I feared for my life!"

Offline markc

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 05:36:20 AM »
From what I am reading here, it isn't that land owners always charge high fees to hunt, but that developing a trusting relationship with landowners and delivering on your word is where it all begins.  Word of mouth, as confirmed by 40inarow, and Sourdough, passed from rancher to rancher at the morning coffe shop, or across the pickup truck is worth more than the offer to pay for the right to hunt private property. 

NGH, I hope you get an invite, or find a place to take the kids hunting. It was difficult when mine were little to find places, and at the time I couldn't afford an expensive lease, or to purchase my own place, so I totally understand where you are at. 
markc

Offline no guns here

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 10:06:50 AM »
Mine aren't necessarily little anymore.  18, 17 and 10.  We have been in places where they weren't ALLOWED to hunt since they were 13, 12 and 5.  Just gotta get out and beat the bushes a bit.

NGH
"I feared for my life!"

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2010, 10:25:14 AM »
I have a close friend whose family owns two huge ranches in the Hill Country.  No body gets to hunt on the property without paying, except family.  She has covenced her Brother and Dad to make an exception for me.  I can not shoot any of the Axis, and only whitetail culls, but I can shoot all the Coyotes and Hogs I want to.  That's OK with me, if I was to shoot a Deer I would have to dress it out.  Coyotes and Hogs, I don't have to mess with if I don't want to.  Taking my Weatherby this year, maybe I can reach out and touch a hog at 1000 yards.  Worth a try.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Range Rider

• Avid Poster
  • Have a nice day cowboy
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2010, 11:25:30 AM »
This is a funny old world.  Some old feral hog can rip up a fence streach a gate, rip the side out of beef or a horse. THey can root up more land than D9 Cat in one afternoon.  But a Texas rancher can get more damage from a hunter.  That is until the hunter hands over a bunch $100 dollar bills.  Then the light shines down on this lowly human and he is good to go hunt'in on the land.  It is amazin how money can clean the soul and make poor old humans whole again.  Sorta makes you want to visit Texas don't it. :D
Range Rider

Offline HL

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 03:54:52 AM »
1) Feral hogs don't rip the sides out of beef, horses or anything other live stock animal.

2) Feral hogs can not root up more land than a D9 Cat in one afternoon.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good conversation. What needs stating is the main reason most will not let hunters come on their place for free. Money. Most ranchers and farmers are land rich, but money poor. Deer leases have been a major source of income and hogs, being new to a lot of farmers/ranchers, have turned out to be a cash cow, the same as deer/turkey, bringing in more money for their families.

As a land owner and someone that has paid their dues to own the land, pay the taxes, improve the land, build fences, work the fields, Why would I want to let someone I don't know come and hunt for free, who has not had to bear any of the burden I have had for what I have.

The same could be asked of some of the ones discouraged by not finding free hunting. How many times do you invite a homeless person into your home for a hot bath, food and clothing, to enjoy the surroundings and life you have made for yourself and your family, at your own expense? I would bet, None.

I'm not trying to argue, but defend myself and others here that do not allow non-family to hunt for free, and seem to get ridiculed for it.

Offline Range Rider

• Avid Poster
  • Have a nice day cowboy
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 12:25:16 PM »
Well sure sounds like your wild hogs are good citizens.  Damn I like that, they are so nice I don't know why you would want to kill them any way.  Well you are right to drain every dime you can out of folks for killing the kind and gentel beast.  The tax pay'in folks down Texas way are all free loaders arn't they.  They just pay for all the Game and fish cost, game enforcement, game control etc. roads to your ranch and other little items.  Yep, you are right folks are takin advantage of you and your gentel hogs. I just hate it when that happens. :(
Range Rider

Offline HL

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 02:45:03 AM »
I could correct all the inaccuracies in the last statement, but I will only hit a couple and then I'm done.

"They just pay for all the Game and fish cost, game enforcement, game control etc. roads to your ranch and other little items."

The tax payers do not pay anyone for the game and fish cost, unless you speak of purchasing a hunting/fishing license, which funds are used for conservation and game management on state owned lands, which YOU have access to.

The roads to the ranches, with the exception of State owned highways, are county roads, funded by that county's current land owners. Fact: a large majority of the non-paved roads in Texas are still owned by the adjoining land owners. The county only has an easement for maintaining the roads and their utilities, all paid for by county taxes. So you can thank the land owners, when you drive down their caliche or gravel roads.

Please, if you are going to try to make someone out to look like a bad guy, at the least, make some factual statements and not just very biased opinions.

Sounds like my analogy struck a nerve. That wasn't the intention.

Good Hunting,

HL