Author Topic: Wild hog hunting in Texas, real problem, or tourist hype?  (Read 11433 times)

Offline Range Rider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Have a nice day cowboy
Re: Wild hog hunting in Texas, real problem, or tourist hype?
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2010, 04:07:29 AM »
Well I am truely sorry for picking on you.  Dog gone the state of Texas anyway.  The Game and Fish Dept. is just a name on a Dept. door no one is there.  Yes you are a poor deprived land owner just getting along with a few wild hogs.  Those citizens of Texas are a no good untrust worthy bunch, we all know that.  They dump trash and destroy everything in sight.  I must say that some of the best folks in the world are from Texas.  I have guided many Texans on hunts in the Rocky Mtns. for no fee by the way.  I have never met any of these horrible hunters you describe.

RR >:(
Range Rider

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2010, 05:31:33 AM »
1) Feral hogs don't rip the sides out of beef, horses or anything other live stock animal.

2) Feral hogs can not root up more land than a D9 Cat in one afternoon.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good conversation. What needs stating is the main reason most will not let hunters come on their place for free. Money. Most ranchers and farmers are land rich, but money poor. Deer leases have been a major source of income and hogs, being new to a lot of farmers/ranchers, have turned out to be a cash cow, the same as deer/turkey, bringing in more money for their families.

As a land owner and someone that has paid their dues to own the land, pay the taxes, improve the land, build fences, work the fields, Why would I want to let someone I don't know come and hunt for free, who has not had to bear any of the burden I have had for what I have.

The same could be asked of some of the ones discouraged by not finding free hunting. How many times do you invite a homeless person into your home for a hot bath, food and clothing, to enjoy the surroundings and life you have made for yourself and your family, at your own expense? I would bet, None.

I'm not trying to argue, but defend myself and others here that do not allow non-family to hunt for free, and seem to get ridiculed for it.

Because, if you are a land owner, the non-native, invasive species is costing you MONEY.  If you want me to come pay you money to take care of your problem hogs, well, that's sort of crazy.  If my major income was derived from crops, cattle and deer.  The last thing I would want is some other animal multiplying without restriction and then eating my crops, harassing my cattle and deer and eating the forage that the those animal depend on.  So, you would rather have thousands of dollars per year in depredation damage (that you probably take off your taxes) and have to spend untold hours with the damage than to let people hunt and get rid of a bunch of that damage.

I guess an analogy would be; if my house had termites, I would want the Teminex man to pay me to come kill off the termites.  I mean, why let him in my house?  He hasn't paid the bills or driven a nail there.  Why should he benefit by working in my nicely air-conditioned house?  Heck no!  If he won't pay me to kill my termites, why then I'll just do what I can myself and let them go on and munch my walls.

If the hogs are a problem, then they are costing you money.  Feed, crops, damage, erosion, etc.  Go on and fix all that and then spend your nights up late shooting hogs.  Enjoy!  Or you could invite a guy or two out and observe them and make a decision about whether or not they'll be invited back.

I guarantee that I will treat your land better than you do.  Because MY reputation matters to me.  I wouldn't do ANYTHING to your land or stock that would give you ANY reason to talk bad about me afterwards.  If I do any damage, get stuck and make ruts or anything like that, you'll be the next to know.  I'll work to repair or pay you for the repairs.  I'm not rich so I can't afford to pay to hunt (much) so I can't pay you for your work.  That means I'll put in my sweat to repair any damage.

Actually, it's all pretty simple.  While you have been working to buy the land, pay the taxes, improvements, etc... what have I been doing?  I guess, nothing.  Except getting stationed all over the world for the last 23 years.  Being separated from family and friends and doing it all for fairly small wages.  Raising four great kids on an NCO's pay (1 income, wife homeschools).  And not being able to AFFORD to do that AND to buy land.  OK, I'm not asking for any super concessions but, some of us haven't been around or been able to buy our land yet.  I'm glad you have.

NGH
"I feared for my life!"

Offline markc

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2010, 08:28:38 AM »
Guys this has been a good discussion, bt lets not let it become a series of personal attacks.  

NGH, thank you for your service to our country.  I hope that you will be able to purchase your own place if that is what you decide to do.   I am not finding much in the way of feral hogs on my hill country place, but when whitetail season ends, I would possibly be able to take you and your sons to my place to set up and hunt them.  Some of my neighbors are having plenty of hogs on their land, but I am only recently, and occassionally finding hog sign.  Keep in touch and we'll see if we can work something out for early 2011. 

Range Rider, I am not sure what your main point is actually.  I detect a large amount of sarcasm on your posts.  Am I right?

However, folks who own their own land have the right to make the rules on it.  Personally I take many hunters/shooters to my leased land, and a few to my privately owned land.  It is rarely a family member. Mostly folks I know from work, or my church.

I never charge them to come out and shoot hogs, squirrells, or ducks.  I do not simply hand out a key to the gate though, I go with them, set them up, and at my own expense run auto feeders, or put them in my own tripods, enclosed blinds etc.  

For me personally I enjoy taking folks who either have not had many opportunities to hunt, or just do not have a location to go to.  I do not ask them for payments, but that they practice good safety,firearm discipline, keep things clean and handle the downed animal themselves if they do shoot.

I have enjoyed taking a father and his son, a number of times. It does me good since my own chilren are grown and gone, to watch that excitement between a man and his child.  I am selective as to who I take, but I have taken many people over the years.

I am so grateful to the Lord for the places I have to hunt, and I try to share that with others.  I do not take offense at those who own land and do not operate as I do. That is their decision and  I will not criticize a man for the way he uses what he has earned
markc

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2010, 08:41:16 AM »
Whats wrong with paying to hunt ? the farmers have found hunters bring in cash that sometimes crops that fail don't. Hey ya help pay the taxes and ya get to hunt . Say you live in NY and have a nice pool and farmers from TX start showing up to swim , after a while you decide to ask a fee to offset chemicals and taxes ..............and the world goes round
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline HL

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2010, 12:18:35 PM »
My apologies if anyone was offended, that was certainly not the intent. As Markc says, and I will agree and conform, this doesn't need to get personal. As Markc does, I also take friends hunting and have never asked for anything in exchange, except to not shoot anything that goes Mooooo!

I enjoy seeing someone else have success and have had more fun watching my nephew bag his first buck, than I had getting anything I have in the past.

Good hunting,

And NGH, as someone who's grandfather fought in WWI, not only to serve, but to gain Citizenship to our Great Country, I appreciate everything you and your fellow servicemen are doing for our Country!!

Offline Range Rider

• Avid Poster
  • Have a nice day cowboy
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2010, 06:33:00 AM »
Markc no not fair.  You have a dog in this fight.  You are a land owner.  Now for you to call me sarcastic or any thing else is a little off center.  Its funny you can't see I am defending the hunters.  I am damn tired seeing hunters slammed as dead beats slobs Etc.  Do you know if it were not for hunters this forum wouldn't even exist.  I have been in the hunting Biz for more than 50 years.  You may not agree but hunters are not slobs they are fine folks.
Range Rider

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2010, 04:50:53 PM »
Range Rider,

I have no dog in this hunt as I own no land and I agree that it sounds like you are being sarcastic. Didn't you say in an earlier post that you guided hunters from Texas. I sure hope you did that for free.

btw, I do pay for a lease so that I can hunt deer and hogs. I could hunt public land, but I prefer not to.
NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline Range Rider

• Avid Poster
  • Have a nice day cowboy
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2010, 06:10:54 AM »
Elmer, Yes I know about the deep pocket hunters in Texas.  You fellows like to defend  your position of out bidding everyone else.  I know you would look down on the poor public land hunters.  It is also a fact that you did not read my post. I stated that I guided and still do folks from Texas.  I do this without charging a fee.  THe reason being many old friends from my years in the oil fields. Use the only word in your lexicon to respond "Sarcastic".

RR
Range Rider

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2010, 09:31:24 AM »
Markc no not fair.  You have a dog in this fight.  You are a land owner.  Now for you to call me sarcastic or any thing else is a little off center.  Its funny you can't see I am defending the hunters.  I am damn tired seeing hunters slammed as dead beats slobs Etc.  Do you know if it were not for hunters this forum wouldn't even exist.  I have been in the hunting Biz for more than 50 years.  You may not agree but hunters are not slobs they are fine folks.

Thanks for the compilment , In the tone of Gene Tracey - Who called that slob a hunter in the first place ?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline markc

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2010, 04:51:01 AM »
Yes you are a poor deprived land owner just getting along with a few wild hogs.  Those citizens of Texas are a no good untrust worthy bunch, we all know that.  They dump trash and destroy everything in sight.

Range Rider, your statement above sounds sarcastic, to me at least, along with your more recent comment, "Use the only word in your lexicon to respond to sarcastic."  No can't really tell you were/are defending anyone with that.  

Otherwise, No sir, as a landowner I don't have a dog in any fight. Like I said, someone who owns it makes the rules, simple as that.  One important point about Texas is the very strong belief in personal property rights. It has been a big argument with our current Governor and his attempts to take away private land for a really big road project called the Trans Texas Corridor.

There's no fight as I see it, except with the governor, but as a moderator here I want to make sure the discussions remain civil, and it appeared as though they were about to take a turn away from civility.  

Take your own advice and actually read my post. It says that I detect a large amount of sarcasm in your post. Am I right?  That is not calling you sarcastic or anything else off center.  It is making an observation, based on your words from several posts, and then asking you to comment, correct me if I am wrong.  Funny you can't understand that.  

There were 26 posts in this thread before you entered the discussion.  Your initial post was a criticism of the way things are done by land owners in Texas, charging fees. This is a forum for Texas hunting.  All are welcome to express their opinion, even if it is not pro-Texas, but don't enter criticisms of the way things are done and then cry foul if I or another poster questions your motives.  Approx 90% of Texas is privately owned, unlike the other 49 states in the country.  That's just the way it is. 

markc

Offline Range Rider

• Avid Poster
  • Have a nice day cowboy
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2010, 05:08:00 AM »
OK I will not post on this subject again.  You are the moderator a Texas land owner.  You have made it very clear things in Texas should not change.  You may have to fight the man elected to speak for the citizen of Texas to keep control of fee hunting.  Seems like Texas had the same issues on March 3rd, 1836. Oh, that is just the way it is?

RR
Range Rider

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2010, 11:12:47 AM »
This seems to be somewhat complex.  You have landowners who want to charge to hunt for a destructive pest, makes sense for a trophy deer hunt though.  Others, want the hogs gone, but are nervous about having strangers with high powered guns on their land.  It is really an individualistic issue.

When I used to ask for permission to hunt/target shoot on private land in Minnesota and Oregon 30 years ago, some people said no, but most said yes.  I have sales experience and am clean cut.

In a recent issue of Outdoor life (September 2010, I think) the writer mentioned that the land owners in Oklahoma were very much against people hunting their land for the destructive pigs.  So it is not just a Texas problem.

As far as I know the State of Texas spends money on hog control, they should eliminate this service for land owners who charge people to hunt hogs on their land...I could live with that, and it would save the tax payer money.

Eventually I am going to get my rear in gear and drive out/contact landowners in Central Texas and see for myself how getting access to private land for hog hunting goes.

Another issue, I have a fairly small refrigerator and don't need a large pig for food.  How do the landowners feel about me leaving a bunch of rotting carcasses lying about that are going to smell and attract fly's?  I could bury them, but I have seen the soil where I target shoot in Leander, TX and it is very rocky.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2010, 10:50:58 AM »
when i started hunting i hunted free every where . Now over 40 years later i pay almost $1000.00 to hunt over 2900 acrs. It cost to play , Three shooting ranges another almost $1000.00 . Farmers can't make it on crops have found a new way to create cash from land use . Its the American way .

Offline Jax

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2010, 02:23:43 PM »
I know a few local ranch owners that have 80+ hogs that run their land and break fences, and tear up fields.  I have been invited to hunt them and get rid of them.  Problem is that they are there one day and gone for a week...  Talking to the locals, they say they make their rounds in the area and are always on the move. 

Seeing some of the other comments of hunting in TX.  Its different thats for sure.  Im a transplant from up north.  Having hunting in NY and MO, it seems like if you dont have land or a lease, your not hunting in TX.   There are some public places to hunt, but I never would in fear of being shot.  The areas are not that big, and who knows whos out there with you... Its an expensive hobby round these parts! 

Instead of a lease in TX, I travel to MO, pay for the license, and hunt the govt land and get much larger deer :)
Justin

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2010, 07:31:23 AM »
Jax...yeh, I have thought about making the drive to another state, lots of public land in other areas, and I could even hunt in the mountains too.

Offline no guns here

« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2010, 12:06:43 PM »
Drive based on principle, not based on saving money.  The gas, time, lodging, food will equal or exceed cost of a hog hunt here.  stinks but that's the way it is.  Unless you have access to lodging, food (as in "relatives"), it's too expensive to justify unless you just do it on principle.

NGH
"I feared for my life!"

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2010, 05:59:08 AM »
Chris. I have land in Marble Falls and we rarely have hogs.  Just lots of deer. However, just down the road in Llano the hogs are plentiful. I drove from Austin to the Odessa area on Thanksgiving and saw almost as many roadkill hogs as deer. So they indeed can be pest. But if I could make a few bucks off of hogs I surely would. Especially to offset property taxes.   In east and south Texas it is a booming year around business and the local towns get the tourist money. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2010, 04:52:28 AM »
If a farmer sells you produce off his land no one complains, If he sells you beef or dom. hogs no complaint. If an outfitter sets up a hunt on his land hunters are glad to pay. If he ask a fee people act like he is cheating them  ???. Its called making a living off the land ! He cuts the middle man and saves the hunter a few bucks  ;)

Offline BobbyB

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2010, 03:04:16 PM »
My son and I have access to 2 places to kill hogs . One we trap and shoot, the other we run 'em with dogs. We go free and do it as a service.

We hunt with a guy that is under contract to a co-op of 18 ranches and has access to several other totaling close to 200,000 acres. He gets paid to kill hogs and hunts just about daily with his dogs.

Another friend we hunt with has access to maybe 6-7 ranches for hog dogging, for free. He usually take the land owners along .

I know of several guys that are paid to hunt hogs and dont know how many get to hunt free just to try and keep the hogs run off. There is no way you can ever kill all of them.

It is a very real problem. The guy that owns the company I work for runs his dogs and traps in a very high end subdivision North of San Antonio. Hogs are destroying yards, flower beds, and everything else there. I also know a guy in the Houston area that does the same thing with his son and grandson.
" If you can't have no fun, it ain't no use a'goin' ! " - over heard from an old man in a Sweetwater, TX cafe

Offline Lost Oki

• Avid Poster
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2011, 02:33:05 PM »
ntlemen.  I do not own land nor do I currently hunt in Texas, who knows what the future holds.  However I have owned land and hunted in Oklahoma, Louisiana, Indiana and North Carolina.  I have asked permission to hunt from numerous farmers and ranchers.  Some say know due to the issues they have had in the past with other hunters.  Liability is also a very large issue.  I currently hunt on public land in NC and IN along with some private in IN.  My 2 cents worth.  Its their land, if they say no, its no.  If they say yes then you best take care of the land, stock, fences etc and don't forget the landowner.  we have permission to park and hunt on 14 acres that happens to border public hunting land.  Currently, there is no parking on this end for the public so, other than land owners or someone who gets dropped off, we are it.  The landowners always see jerky, sausage, turkeys, even elk and buffalo we took in another state.  Guess you could say we "pay to park".  Most farmers in Indiana will not let you hunt...period...too many people disrespecting them and their property. 

Texas was "pay to hunt" for everything back in the late 60's when I was stationed in Beeville, so nothing has changed.  Pay or hunt on public or go home.  If that bothers ya, ya can get mad and glad in the same pair of drawers.....
Keep in mind, its just not Texas.  I belonged to two Conservation clubs in Indiana, cost was under a hundred for both for a year.  NC, the lowest cost range I have found so far is $600 a year....or drive the 100 miles to a public range...

Now that I have rambled,  the reason I got on this topic in the first place.  Does any one know of a place to pay and hunt hogs in North Texas....Somewhere around the Baja Oklahoma area ;D...From Paris to Fort Worth to Wichita Falls area.  Oklahoma would work even better.  Grandsons need a little supervised practice to get them ready for deer season in Indiana.  We make it back in the summer each year.

Offline no guns here

« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2011, 04:46:21 AM »
Hogs are getting bad in the area around Waurika lake and the Waurika Wildlife Management Area.  Was there two weeks ago and the there are a couple of places where the roadside looked like a gang of drunk gardeners had roto-tilled the shoulder of the road for hundreds of yards.  Most places there aren't leased out too bad yet.  A trip to look around and talk to some farmers should land you a couple hunting areas.  The banks of the Red River have been covered in hog sign for at least the last 20 years in places I know of.  I'm going back this weekend on a quick business trip but am planning on talking to couple of neighbors and seeing if I can work a quick hunt in on Friday night/Sat morning.

NGH
"I feared for my life!"

Offline cabledad

• Life Member of the NRA Cable Pioneer
  • GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2011, 06:29:27 PM »
I live in North Texas around Lake Texoma and have been here for 21 years.When I first started coming up here hogs were an occasional sighting,now there gaining ground.I have a problem with the large land owners that lock there land up and do nothing to control the hog population.I think they have an obligation to do something to control the hog .That should have been moral obligation.This includes the State of Texas,corp of engineers,and a few well known mulitmillionares.These thousand acre places sit here locked up with somebody feeding  the live stock only and you will get in trouble if you get caught huntin on them.I sure don't want the State of Texas or the US government making rules about hog abatement but I do think the public should have  an attitude about hog control from people that control large land tracts.I hunt 2 smalltracts that are near thousands of acres of land that is either not hunted or has so many restrictions that hunters can't kill any hogs .Such as bows, shot guns only with buckshot, no feeders,no night hunting. Its attitude I see needing to be changed,this Discovery show about hogs is good for the hog hunters and will help change the attitude about locking these places up.Give us 5 years  more and the hogs will be even worse. Enough ranting for one night.Go kill a hog.Chuck