Author Topic: Flour in a blank load  (Read 2592 times)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Flour in a blank load
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2010, 05:25:16 PM »
Modern artillery rounds obviously use smokeless powder.
At Ft. Sill, I heard one old sergeant talking about using a couple of handfulls of water into the powder to produce a large volume of smoke - for a fire-power demonstration.

So, there is SOME validity to a portion of the smoke being steam.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline XxLT250RxX

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2010, 05:29:07 PM »
When shooting my 10 pounder Parrott Rifle at re-enactments I usualy added one heaping cup of flour in a seperate baggie on top of 12 oz. of powder.  I tried it with and without the flour.  I can't tell you it ever made any difference.  I certainly never could tell any difference in the noise.  For some reason I still did it. ???  Habit I guess.
Zulu
as a kid we'd blow flour out of a straw across a birthday candle . Nice whoosh !

Every year at New Years we have a large fire and shoot large quantities of fireworks to ring in the new year.  What would happen if a cannon loaded with the charge described above was fired across the fire?  Large fireball?

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2010, 08:24:30 PM »
Large fireball?

Maybe.  Maybe blow the fire all over the place, too.  Something to try without a lot of people around first.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2010, 08:28:40 PM »

Every year at New Years we have a large fire and shoot large quantities of fireworks to ring in the new year.  What would happen if a cannon loaded with the charge described above was fired across the fire?  Large fireball?

I don't think I would want ot be loading black powder into a cannon that was that close to a large fire...

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2010, 01:00:10 AM »
gg and dd
good safety advices
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2010, 02:11:50 AM »
gg and dd
good safety advices

"... it seemed like a good idea at the time" comes to mind.

One fellow uses corn starch and a primer (on another board, in a pistol) to make a 'smoke' round with little report.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline XxLT250RxX

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2010, 02:32:19 AM »

I don't think I would want ot be loading black powder into a cannon that was that close to a large fire...

Good point :o

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2010, 04:32:58 AM »
i dont think you'd have any ignition issues with thing the propelling charge will do it ....for sure .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2010, 05:07:01 AM »
This brings to mind an article of some years ago , a fellow looking for extreme velocity compressed corn starch into a jacket for a handgun . I wonder if a corn starch ball would give a bang and then shatter ? Armorer77

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2010, 07:37:59 PM »
Any kind of combustible particle that can be dispersed in air will become a good fuel/air explosive.  The quantity of material burning causes rapid expansion of the air and will build enough pressure to explode a grain elevator.

I think this Myth Busters experiment with "non-dairy coffee creamer" pretty much proves GG's statement. :o

[yt=425,350]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yRw4ZRqmxOc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yRw4ZRqmxOc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/yt]
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2010, 08:13:34 PM »
Non Dairy creamer leaves a sticky gooey mess in a golf ball size thunder mug....so I have heard.  ::)

Offline oyvind

• Avid Poster
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2010, 11:22:06 PM »
Hi
I've tried a lot.
No wads, can give a bad burn with bad sound,
with wads, get a better combustion and better bang.
The reason why I often use the flour is that it is easy to pour in.
I have good results using the isolation rocwall
Of course, you will get higher pressure, which provides higher sound.

But a little warning.

Use of wet paper, then the weight will be high, and very high pressure as a result.
I do not like to see them filling barrel with a wet paper without the control weight,
that's when accidents can happen.

Oyvind

Offline Double D

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2010, 06:42:42 AM »
There is some good information on flour and wet paper and pressure increase in thois post  http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,211022.0.html