Author Topic: Does anyone like their Ruger handguns as-is?  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Does anyone like their Ruger handguns as-is?
« on: November 21, 2003, 05:24:27 AM »
I see more questions about making various improvements to ruger products than I see for all other makes combined.  Does anyone like their Rugers as-is?
Safety first

Offline Duffy

• A Real Regular
Does anyone like their Ruger handguns as-is
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2003, 05:48:03 AM »
That either tells us that they need improvments or there's alot more of them around than other brands.
Now to your question, My P90 got a spring kit and a sear polish, the P97 was great out of the box. Most of mine get trigger springs or "cleaned up" or both. I have noticed a little better quality on certain models than others and at different times of purchace.

Ryan

Offline Savage

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2003, 06:46:54 AM »
Questor,
I think there are three reasons for Rugers being reworked after purchase:
1. They are a big seller. Extremely popular, especially with first time buyers.
2. Some of the things that make them such big sellers are, reliability/price/service. The low price precludes a lot of fine finish work, so they are a little rough and need a little refinement out of the box.
3. Because of all the above, there are tons of aftermarket parts available at reasonable prices.
All I have handled needed trigger work BAD out of the box. However they are as close to 100% reliable as they come, and a heck of a deal!!

Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Camel 23

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2003, 08:58:59 AM »
I love all of mine as-is!

Offline DzrtRat

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2003, 09:59:00 AM »
All of the Rugers I've owned operated flawlessly, but I'm always out to improve on a good thing.

My M77 MKII in .223 had a heavy trigger with a lot of creep.  A Timney solved the problem and it shoots great.

My 4 5/8 Vaquero in .45 Colt got a spring kit, the action smoothed out, and I had the barrel turned a bit so it would shoot to point of aim with my handloads.  Turning the barrel also closed the cylinder gap to .002, which is great IMO.

My 5 1/2" Vaquero in .45 Colt shot great out of the box, but I worked the springs some and then smoothed up the action by working it a lot.  I also put in a Belt Mt. base pin, but I'm not really sure it was needed.  I gave this one to my dad the other day and he loves it.  The first shot he fired from it hit a pop can dead center at 30 yards.  That got a smile out of him.

~Rat

Offline Original Ken

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2003, 11:33:45 AM »
OK - let me throw in my 2 cents worth on Rugers.  I have 2 in the box right now.  Had 3 and sold my P95DC in 9 mm.  That gun ate anything you wanted to load into it.  It's accuracy out of the box was pretty darn good.  Not a bullseye gun but it was never made to be one.  It was too heavy for a CCW but I felt, when I did carry it, that it would do the job.  I have a Single Six in stainless and it is smooth as silk.  Have never had a problem with it.  I also have a Mark I 22 cal that dates back to 1965.  In the beginning of this year the gun kept stovepiping and crushing about every thrid round.  I use the gun for bullseye shooting on a weekly basis.  I called Ruger's service department in AZ and they told me to send the gun back to them.  I asked what kind of cost I was looking at for a gun of this age.  To my surprise they said that the cost would be zero as they back up their products for life.  I told them that the gun basically had no blueing left and they said that a factory blue job would be $70.00.  To make a long story short they rebuilt the entire gun free.  I mean every part except the barrell and also replaced all of the springs in the mags that I sent back.  I wish I had kept my P95DC and am thinking of getting the same auto from Ruger in 45 ACP and am looking at a slabside 22 auto to add to my collection.  I know there are a lot of higher end guns out there but I have had and have sold other Rugers over the years and I have never had a bad one yet.  Some do require some tweaking but so did my S&W which cost me a lot more.  Just MHO for what's it worth.

:D
This Be The Original Ken
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Shooters: We have lost an old friend, and I am saddened by his passing. Ken Stufft, who we knew as The Original Ken, passed away unexpectedly on March 22, 2004.

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
Ruger
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2003, 01:46:56 PM »
My Ruger  rifle m77 in 338 was a piece of work, local got the creep out, set the trigger to 2.5 lbs. its a sweethart. Not much to do with the mk1 target 22 auto pistol. I0/22 carbine took redfield reciever sights. SBH I feel has small grips installed PACH declerators(44 mag 7.5' barrel) I can't figure out why people complain about a sa Ruger trigger. Mine lets off fine.Redhawk in 44 mag as a da took on a Brownell spring kit, pach grips, changed the front sights. I think these are very minor changes, Joe six pack would probably sign off to all above in intial acceptance w/o changes.
Jim

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2003, 03:39:50 PM »
Yup, I love all three of my ruger handguns as-is.  My Super BH in .44 Mag will hold 4" groups at 100 yards.  You can't ask better than that from a 7.5" revolver.

Edit: I just saw the post about a Ruger rifle, the most accurate rifle I own is my K77VT .220 Swift.  Now that I have it broken in, 1/4 MOA at 100 yards with factory loads.
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2003, 05:00:08 PM »
I like my SRH as it came from the factory.   It had a 4.5 lb trigger pull with no creep and was accurate.  I changed the spring in it and my GP100 and my Single Six (single six also had a lot of creep to remove).  I do not consider thes adjustments to the trigger any thing major because if you want an inexpensive production revolver with a 3 lb trigger pull it is going to require some work no matter what brand it is.

Offline J.Solo

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2003, 05:52:01 PM »
10.5" Blue, Bull Barrel Super Black Hawk .44 Mag:
1. Cut to 5.5"
2. Magnaported
3. Millette Adjustable, White Outline Rear Sight
4. Higher RUGER front sight
5. Trigger Job
6. Extra Fitted Cylinder from Old Model Super Black Hawk

6.5" Stainless, New Model Black Hawk .357 Mag.:
1. Super Black Hawk Hammer
2. Trigger Job
3. Brown, Laminated AJAX grips

4 5/8" Blue, New Model Black Hawk .357 Mag./9mm Convertable:
1. Steel ejector rod housing
2. Steel grip frame
3. Super Black Hawk Hammer
4. Trigger Job

5.5" Stainless Bisley .44 Mag. with special engraved cylinder:
1. Millette Adjustable, White Outline Rear Sight
2. Thinned out grip pannels
3. Trigger Job
(I still don't like the feel of the grip on this gun but it's a little better now with thinned out bottom of grip pannels. I thought I would love this grip style but it is my least favorite and don't really like shooting or carrying it)

USED, 5.5" Stainless Single Six .22 Long Rifle:
 (On LayAway Until after Christmas)
1. Will refinish grips
2. Will also explore the possibility of replacing the hammer with a Super Black Hawk Hammer or a hammer from one of the newer Bearcats but I don't know if this will be possible ?????????????

Good Luck with yours - J.Solo

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
I have bought 3 of em' the triggers are still original.
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2003, 06:55:53 AM »
Good question to ask...I have owned 3 Rugers, and the triggers, barrels, etc. are still original.  Two of them are new as of this year, a GP 100, and a 77/17 rifle.  I had planned to replace the trigger springs when I bought them, but so far they seem fine.

This is odd considering the fact that I am sensitive about triggers, and maybe I might put a timney trigger in the rifle, but after a Summer of shooting it I have no complaints.  One of the contributors (Bigbill, I think) recommended Molylube to help in smoothing out triggers in all makes, I may try that as it would be cheaper than a trigger kit. :grin:

Offline michbob

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2003, 12:19:46 PM »
In my case, three of my four firearms are Rugers: a No.1 in .25-06 which is stock, and two SP-101's that are stock except for aftermarket grips.  I really like all three; it seems Ruger always has what I want, so I kind of wonder about the writers in the "gun rags" that never seem to have anything good to say about the line.

Offline doc-and

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2003, 12:12:33 PM »
1st Ruger was a #1 7mm mag, would not group under 4inches :(  Sold

2nd Ruger 4 5/8 Blackhawk Convertable 45acp/45colt  :grin: changed springs.

3rd Ruger 7 1/2 SBH SST 44mag, Sent unfired to Mag-Na-Port for Preditor conversion :grin:

4th Ruger 10 1/2 SBH SST 44mag, Still NIB unfired waiting to be sent to Mag-Na-Port for conversion to Stalker

5th Ruger Mini 14 JAMED  :x  Sold

6th Ruger 44 Carbine :-)  FOR SALE

7th Ruger 10-22 Stock :)  

8th Ruger Mark II  :-D  Needed trigger work

More Ruger purchases to come.

doc-and 8)
Leaving the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia :D

Offline ingwenya

My expeience
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2003, 11:07:26 PM »
Both my P89 and .44 Mag SBH required no operational upgrades. I was actually spoiled by their accuracy and reliability. Case in point: 7.5" .44 Mag SBH. When I started shooting other peoples' guns, I thought I was off. I appreciated how forgiving it is. The P89 has just always shot accurately and never even jammed once. For what its worth, both have been fine, right out of the box.
"Too many freaks, not enough circuses."

Offline Savage

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2003, 02:02:47 AM »
Guys,
I currently own six Rugers, and have let at least a dozen more slip away. I have always been satisified with the overall value of the product. The designs are bulletproof! Still, I have yet to see a stock Ruger with a passable trigger. In all fairness, let me add that that applies to about 95% of production guns these days. Other than the custom makers, Savage is the only one I know of.
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
As is ruger
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2003, 04:14:10 AM »
No!  Nope!  And, no-way!  Mikey.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2003, 12:16:06 PM »
in a previous life i owned a blackhawk in a .357 and .22. they worked fine for me without any help from anything.  use to shhot them things a lot, an come to think of it, without doin much of a clean-up on em. they never gave me a moment of problem. they bounced around in tha cars i owned or was put up handy like near me.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Redf150

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2003, 01:44:53 PM »
Im picking up a P90 here shortly, I think they are sweet, only thing im gonna do is get a set of Hogue grips on them.
Greater is He that is in me than He that is in the world.

Offline gregdemars

Does anyone like their Ruger handguns as-is ?
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2003, 07:49:45 AM »
At first, I loved mine as-is. After many range sessions, I discovered I was becoming more proficient. Also I started to notice those iron sights were getting harder to keep lined-up all the time. I took notice or became more aware of trigger control and squeeze. Soon realized I wanted more performance. I think you need to know what you should expect from a particular gun before you buy it. Are you long-range shooting? What's your budget. Do you anticipate installing a scope later. Are you a target shooter. Do you need rapid repeat shots? Do you reload or do you just shoot factory fodder? Double or single action? What game will you be hunting? You have to answer these questions before you decide which firearm best suits you. Manufacturers have to protect themselves from careless individuals ( example, trigger creep ) . Some guns you can buy fully tuned but you pay a higher premium. I like to decide myself what I want or should expect from a particular gun, so I sent mine to Mag-Na-Port for the "Stalker" treatment on a 10.5 barrel. Never regretted it. My single six is still as-is and that's all I expect of it. Considering the price and what you get or what you want to do to it later I think Ruger turns out a great gun with countless possibilities.

Offline TC Shooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2003, 06:21:27 AM »
Basically all need some trigger work - my MKII has been worked over by Clark and the trigger now is better than my out of the box Smith 41. Also had the pistol drilled and tapped for a Ruger scope base.

My Single Six is one I worked on myself , reduced the trigger spring tension and the hammer sear notch was reduced and stoned to produce a virtually creep free pull.

My 10/22 rifle is one I polished the hammer sear notch and it is a shootable trigger but still needs some work. Eventually replaced the stock and installed a Shilen match barrel.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
My 2 cents
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2003, 09:11:12 AM »
I have a few as well.  All of my super blachawks go to Mag-Na-Port for their predator package or time and tune, trigger, new sights, recrown, mag-na-port and maybe barrel shortening.  The predator barrel length is 4 and 3/4 ", but I tell them to trim it to 6" or leave it alone.  Definately worth the dough.

I have a security six as well.  It has a trigger job, time and tune and that's it.

I've had a speed six, superblackhawk long tom that I had Mag-Na-Port convert to a scoped stalker, and a couple of mini's, all sold.

I have four ruger rifles, 2 pre-mkIIs.  The first a .300win that I had brown precision rebuild with a shilen barrel, timney trigger, brown fiberglass stock and glass bed.  It had a very heavy sporter barrel on it when I bought it and could not live with the weight.  Another is a sweet 270  Ultralite that has been rebarrelled (burnt the throat out of the orig), timney trigger, glass bed...my fav.  Also, a MkII, UL in 243, just a timney trigger...but...as soon as I find a pre-mkII in decent condition...it's history.  And, a #1 in 45.70...as is and perfectly fine.

I think that Rugers are great platform to work with and will continue to purchase them as I can.

Doug
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!