Author Topic: Soft wood for a carriage  (Read 904 times)

Offline prospector86

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Soft wood for a carriage
« on: May 11, 2010, 04:32:30 PM »
I was wondering what would be the softest wood that you guys would say is good to use when making a carriage? Also has anyone here used rail road ties to make a carriage, if so did you do something to them sense they have that kreisien coating?
   Thanks for the input.

Offline smokemjoe

• Avid Poster
Re: Soft wood for a carriage
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 06:03:56 PM »
Go to a sawmill that cut ties,You can get them $35.00 a piece, Back doing WW2 when there was a push to turn in iron why some towns turned in there civil war cannon barrels for iron for the war, Some of the guys in junk yard here in town took one barrel and loaded it up and they put it against the railroad tie on the tracks, It blowed the tie of the rails,  Back in my home town in Lancaster Wis. They junked out 2 big field pieces that had 10 foot barrels with the cannon balls, Make you scream now.
   I found out today they were fortuss guns on swilve base, Will find out more, Will ask the old boys in the old folk home.

Offline smokemjoe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 06:06:26 PM »
Go to a sawmill that cut ties,You can get them $35.00 a piece, Back doing WW2 when there was a push to turn in iron why some towns turned in there civil war cannon barrels for iron for the war, Some of the guys in junk yard here in town took one barrel and loaded it up and they put it against the railroad tie on the tracks, It blowed the tie of the rails,  Back in my home town in Lancaster Wis. They junked out 2 big field pieces that had 10 foot barrels with the cannon balls, Make you scream now.
I work in a pattern shop, We use birch for the patterns. You wouldnt believe how strong birch is for soft wood, It may soak up recoil very good.

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 08:26:52 PM »
I would think the size and caliber of the gun would dictate...click on the pictures to see the video.

The little 50 cal SAMCC club gun would have been just fine with pine or fir carriage. I had oak and used oak.

The 1 inch M-1841 Cairo cannon has a carriage of Black locus and glad it does.  I do not think it would have survived a soft wood carriage.

Offline prospector86

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 09:05:21 PM »
I have a half scale that shoots a 10 ounce led shot from dixie gunsworth. If that helps.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 12:57:24 AM »
I dont think birch can be considered to be a soft wood
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 01:16:00 AM »
The US army used only White Oak for gun carrages.  I made one for a revolutionary war 6 pounder (full scale) Out of Red Oak and it worked well and stood up to firing lead cannon balls with 1.5 pounds of blasting powder.

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 01:26:31 AM »
nice to hear that someone is interested in older cannons and not only cw cannons
do you got any pictures of the cannon , and a few basic messurements ??
it would be very very interesting .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline smokemjoe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 03:11:01 AM »
Dan: I will go over into Wis. and find more about the old field pieces, My brother remember climbing on them,I will try and find some pic. up there at the court house. In ther court yard is a C.W. mounumont of all the Wis. solders and a large water display of a soilder holding his rifle. General George   Miccallster lived there also after the war,My great great gandfather lived next door to him, 20 miles from Lancaster is Boscoble Ws. there is the civil war days there ever June or July, Very good battle for 2 days,Lot of cannon firing and after that they go out to a farm and shoot at targets. Hope this helps- Joe

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 03:56:32 AM »
shooting a 6 pdr with a lead ball isnt good , neither for the barrel nor the carriage
I would suggest zink instead , its very close to cast iron in density and reasonable easy to melt
blasting powder is made in different granulation what I know , what granulation was used ??
but I dont know the difference between blasting powder and shooting bp , anyone who can tell me ??
I tried opening goex website today but wasnt able to do that by some reason .
1,5 lbs seem to be an extreme load to me for target shooting , especially if lead balls are used .
what was the barrel made from ??
solid bar , cast iron or cast bronze ??
dimensions ??
it sounds a bit dangerous to me so far , but I dont know enough yet to be sure .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Online Double D

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 04:07:14 AM »
Max recommend safe load for 6 PDR using FA blasting powder or Cannon grade  is 10 ounces.  FB blasting powder should never be used in a cannon.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 04:21:22 AM »
The US army used only White Oak for gun carrages.  I made one for a revolutionary war 6 pounder (full scale) Out of Red Oak and it worked well and stood up to firing lead cannon balls with 1.5 pounds of blasting powder.

1.5 lbs hookiemokie musta been a sizzler !
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 04:33:23 AM »
thanks dd for the info , I thought it sounded dangerous .
especially with a lead ball
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 05:02:45 AM »
Hi Prospector, Sounds like quite a lot of gun with 10 Oz lead projectiles.  From recent personal experience I can tell you that recoil will be more than you expect and a sturdy mount is a necessity.  I would stay away from truly soft woods (if you can dent it with your thumbnail). Hard southern pine isn't a traditional carriage wood but it is strong enough and plenty hard, not to mention inexpensive. Oak is still first choice but maple, beech, ash, and a host of other hardwoods will work if you can find them locally. Do try small local sawmills, they can be very helpful.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Online Double D

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 05:05:56 AM »
I have a half scale that shoots a 10 ounce led shot from dixie gunsworth. If that helps.

Actually bore diameter would be more helpful.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 08:30:58 AM »
If you assume a round ball that would be a 1.5" bore, a smaller Hern carronade?
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 09:03:59 AM »
I was wondering what would be the softest wood that you guys would say is good to use when making a carriage?

Prospector86,
Are you asking this question about softness , because you'd like to find a wood that is easy to work with, but is still strong enough to handle the force of a recoiling cannon?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Evil Dog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 09:24:53 AM »
On my half scale Napoleon the cheeks are oak and the rest of the carriage is Douglas Fir... has held up fine for me.  Golfball bore with 700 gr GOEX "Cannon" and a 1 pound ball cast from wheelweight in a wood sabot.

Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline prospector86

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 04:29:59 PM »
Thanks for the help in decideing, going with oak, a friend had a bunch sitting around hiding in the attic, will have pics up when it's done.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 04:37:17 PM »
Good move.

To the left you will see my 4.5" mortar.  The base is merely laminated pine - a prototype.  Someday I'll do it in hardwood.

Someday ....

Someday ....

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)