Author Topic: Go Ilion  (Read 1185 times)

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
Go Ilion
« on: May 11, 2010, 05:28:04 PM »
ILION, NY --- Freedom Group’s COO, Joseph B. Gross, today announced that the Remington Arms facility in Ilion, New York, will add 100 manufacturing jobs as it relocates certain production from its Marlin factory in North Haven Connecticut.  The 194-year-old Ilion Firearms Plant, which is the Mohawk Valley’s largest employer and the nation’s longest continuous manufacturer, will receive $5.9 million in building improvements, equipment and machinery investment over the next two years.  The project will be supported with $1.5 million in grants from the Empire State Development Corporation, $200,000 in 2010 electricity cost subsidies, and the New York State Office of Community Renewal has earmarked a $750,000 New York State Community Development Block Grant for the project.

Mr. Gross said, “in order to continue to be competitive globally, FGI has made the decision to move its Marlin lever-action production from North Haven Connecticut to Ilion.  Ilion became the clear choice due to the experience of the workforce combined with the incentives offered by the State and Herkimer County.  We wish to thank Governor Paterson, Senator Seward, Assemblyman Butler, Chairman Dennis Mullen (ESD), NYS Office of Community Renewal and Regional Director Ken Tompkins (ESD) and Executive Director Mark Feane (Herkimer County IDA), for their continued support for the Ilion facility.”

“We are pleased Remington has chosen to grow its manufacturing base in the Mohawk Valley,” said Empire State Development Chairman & CEO Dennis Mullen.

“The addition of 100 new jobs to this facility will bring Remington’s Ilion plant employment numbers to the highest they’ve been in years.  As we work with our state and local partners towards rebuilding New York, this is exactly the type of investment that will help sustain our local economy and get us on the road to fiscal recovery.”

Senator James L. Seward (R/C/I-Oneonta) commented the following “Remington Arms has been an exceptional community leader and economic development partner in the Mohawk Valley for generations.  Today’s announcement follows a long-standing commitment to create jobs and make the area a better place to live and raise a family.  At a time when our economy is starting to rebound, I am hopeful that others will follow Remington’s lead and look to upstate New York for their expansion.”

Herkimer County Industrial Development Agency Executive Director Mark Feane said: “We are extremely happy to hear that Remington Arms, working closely with Senator Seward, Empire State Development, the Office of Community Renewal and Herkimer County, will be bringing additional jobs to upstate New York.  It is very encouraging that during difficult economic times, Remington Arms once again decides to add manufacturing positions at their Ilion facility.  I believe that this adds credence to the fact that upstate New York has an exceptional workforce and continues to offer growth opportunities to national icons like Remington Arms. This truly is a successful public/private partnership.”

Founded in 1816, Remington is one of the nation’s oldest continuously operating manufacturers of shotguns and rifles.  The company operates multiple manufacturing facilities within the United States.  Remington last transferred production into the Ilion facility in 2008, at which time it committed to maintaining 600 of the 715 positions then located there and adding 100 jobs to it.  Both these commitments were far exceeded within six months.

Offline wreckhog

Re: Go Illion
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 05:28:53 PM »
In an interesting move, Marlin is going from non union in CT to union in NY.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Go Illion
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 06:35:44 PM »
http://www.uticaod.com/highlight/x1920417896/Officials-100-jobs-coming-to-Remington-Arms

Officials: 100 jobs coming to Remington Arms

Positions relocated from closed Conn. facility

By JENNIFER BOGDAN
Observer-Dispatch
Posted May 11, 2010 @ 02:57 PM
Last update May 11, 2010 @ 08:40 PM
ILION —

It’s another win for Remington Arms.

About 100 new manufacturing jobs and a $5.9 million expansion project are coming to the Ilion-based firearms plant.

Hiring at Remington’s Ilion facility could begin within a matter of weeks. The additional jobs will boost the plant’s total employment to more than 1,000.

State, county and village officials present at the Tuesday announcement said it speaks volumes about the area’s workforce and could lead to additional job growth and economic development for the county.

“The fact that a major corporation chose to grow in Herkimer County is just a fantastic sign,” County Administrator James Wallace said. “We’re hoping that other businesses will take a look at this and say ‘What do they see that we don’t see? Let’s take a look.’”

The jobs are coming as a result of a recent announcement that Marlin Firearms, a Connecticut plant owned by Remington’s parent company, the Freedom Group, will close by June 2011. Herkimer County officials in March said they were working to bring the jobs to Ilion.

The announcement is the latest in a string of good news for the manufacturer that struggled with more than 150 job cuts around 2007, but has been on an upswing ever since.

Last month, Gov. David Paterson signed legislation that that allows firearms manufacturers such as Remington to build, possess, transport and dispose of gun silencers for governmental and law-enforcement use. The legislation allows the company to compete for future defense contracts worth millions.

And in 2008, after a Massachusetts plant shut its doors, around 200 jobs were relocated to the Ilion facility, sparking an $11.5 million renovation project.

State Sen. James Seward, R-Milford attributed the latest good news to the company’s previous commitment to create jobs and improve the quality of life for the area.

“At a time when our economy is starting to rebound, I am hopeful that others will follow Remington’s lead and look to Upstate New York for their expansion,” Seward said.

‘The clear choice’
The expansion project will include building improvements and equipment upgrades over the next two years. A number of grants, including $1.5 million from the Empire State Development Corporation, $200,000 in 2010 electricity cost subsidies and a $750,000 state Community Development Block grant will offset the cost of the project.

“Ilion became the clear choice due to the experience of the workforce combined with the incentives offered by the state and Herkimer County,” Joseph Gross, Freedom Group’s chief operating officer, said.

As for the new jobs, some positions may be filled by former Marlin workers interested in coming to the Ilion plant, and nearby residents will be in the running for others. The hiring process will be complete within nine to 12 months, officials said.

Some officials said past precedent suggests that more than the 100 jobs announced could be created.

“The last time we had an announcement like this, it was for 100 jobs, and we did much better than that,” IDA Executive Director Mark Feane said. “In these economic times, that’s huge.”

In 2008, when officials said jobs from the closed Massachusetts plant would come to Ilion, the announcement also projected 100 jobs would be added locally. But, in reality, the number of jobs created was closer to 200, officials said.

Whether that could happen again remains to be seen.

“I’m not going to speculate,” Gross said. “We’ll see in a year from now.”
Copyright 2010 The Observer-Dispatch. Some rights reserved
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
Re: Go Ilion
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 05:48:31 AM »
I'm sorry I'm such a grumpy old man, but the way I see it, they closed plants in CT and MA, putting hundreds out of work.  Then they collect millions in government incentives to put the same number of folks back to work somewhere else.  It's pure BS to me.  Just another waste of our tax dollars.  Yes, I can see where it is good judgement to consolidate, but I don't see why we should finance it.

Old fart, Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 06:51:23 AM »
Maybe they can put all that extra government $$$ into making some 32-20 and 405 Winchester barrels for their Handi or Classic rifles.   :D

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 06:53:20 AM »
Yeah, sure ::)

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline wreckhog

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 07:44:02 AM »
I'm a Yankees fan and look forward to getiing a Made in NY Marlin. Anyway, I hope that if Marlin takes barrel manufacture to NY, that it will somehow benefit H&R.

Offline guns-o-fun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 12:11:58 PM »
Hope the public gets something for the tax dollars that went down the rabbit hole.  More available handi barrels?  We should be so lucky...(another crotchety, grumpy old fart).

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 01:53:58 AM »
Never once did I believe myself to be a "Remington" man.  Now I own two Marlins and two Handi's and am "Remington" by default of their owning the brands.  As for "pubic incentives" for expansion of facilities, Remington is closing down in CT, as did Winchester in New Haven, CT.  Perhaps the environmental issues in CT are too tough to correct.

Offline Guy Pike

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 02:19:34 AM »
All I know about environmental issues is those damned volcanos spew trash into the atmosphere faster than anyone can keep up with. Why not direct our finances into something worthwhile?
You can't beat a Cerberus!

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 04:31:06 AM »
Re: our tax dollars

It said the government incentives were state and local, not federal, so it did not cost me anything. In Alabama, "incentives" come in the form of sales and income tax abatement; the manufacturer saves the cost of sales tax on purchased equipment those 100 people used to do their job and the manufacturer gets to keep the state and maybe local income tax deduction of the added employees for 5 years to help offset the investment. If NY is similar, it won't cost Wreckhog a dime either. Even if the state income tax goes to the manufacturer, those additional 100 people will pay property taxes and sales taxes and their incomes will churn through the community to create couple hundred more jobs.
 I'll bet the decision to was not to so much to move to NY as it was to get the heck out of where ever.

Lets celebrate the fact that 100 jobs remained in America.
And if they are union, so what. I'll bet those 100 people will be US citizens when they walk through the door.
And if a union-made barrel shoots tighter groups, they will sell more, regardless of additional cost.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.