Author Topic: cylinder pin lube  (Read 964 times)

Offline copdills

• Trade Count: (0)
cylinder pin lube
« on: May 12, 2010, 02:56:19 PM »
Hello, I am new to BP pistols I have a 1858 Italy made pistol, my question is what kind of lube do you lube the cylinder pin with and what else do you lube on thes pistols

Thanks copdills

Offline Oldwolf

Re: cylinder pin lube
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 08:17:33 AM »
I just use a thin coating of Breakfree CLP. What do you use now?

Offline copdills

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 11:16:08 AM »
Fact is I havn't shot it yet, I need to clean it and lube it before I do and I didn't know if I should use modern lubes or oils or just use bore butter  to lube it with its not that dirty, but I want to clean it first its new to me

Offline Oldwolf

EVOO
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 03:30:45 PM »
If you are not a purist, then modern lubricant are OK for hinges and cylinder arbors, and everything else but bores. But they can tar up in bores when subjected to burning muzzleloading propellants I hear. For that reason I do still lube bores and chambers with bore butter or olive oil. If putting a gun away for storage I will use Breakfree in the bore but wipe it out with alcohol, and recoat with olive oil, before shooting.

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 05:17:37 PM »
The best cylider pin lube I have found is High Speed/High Temp bearing grease.

It stays put, and does a better job of sealing out fouling than traditional Black Powder lubes. It appears to at least triple the number of rounds that can be fired, before the revolver gets sticky and hard to cock.

As OLDwolf indicated, petroleum based grease does not seem to produce tar as long as it is not in where it is involved in combustion.

Whenever I know the revolver will be carried/fired for an extended period, I use a liberal amount on the innards.   It protects the small parts and springs from fouling, so complete disassembly is not required in the field, on days the revolver is fired.

There are synthetic high temp greases intended for use on kiln carts and doors, that I think may be a better choice, but at $50+ per 400 gram tubes, I believe I will stay with the $8 Silicone stuff I now use ?
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline copdills

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 05:29:27 PM »
Thank you for your response, I want this pistol to be around for along time, I don't want to mess it up doing the wrong thing, and thanks for giving me the right way of lubing the 1858

Thanks copdills

Offline Draxx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 07:13:27 PM »
 I have been using bore butter on mine with good results. It is already in my bp shooting box, I use it on patches for my inlines and wads for my 1858, so one less thing to carry.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 02:38:53 AM »
I use my BP B'wax, parafin, vasaline/tallow lube.  But I did find out that it gets pretty stiff in cold wx if you put it on to thick!   :D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline El Gringo

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 02:16:12 PM »
I use bore butter as a grease then for the internals and outside finish its Ballistol.