Author Topic: Advice needed from people who have fired golf ball size steel balls  (Read 2269 times)

Offline Spuddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Tomorrow evening will be the first time that I will shoot some of the Fox steel balls in my Dom Parrott.  I am shooting at an old house that has no back stop behind it.  There are open fields for about 3/4 of a mile and then thousands of acres of the North Maine woods and then Canada about 100 miles beyond that.  The nearest road is a woods road used for hauling logs.  That is about 2 miles behind the house.  I plan on setting the cannon 100 yards from the house.  The house is 2x4 framed with 1" board sheathing and ceder shingles for siding.  The ball will have to pass through at least one interior wall, before passing through the back side of the house.  Can anyone suggest how far the ball will penetrate and how best to avoid a richochet?  As long as I hit the house do I need to worry about reaching the road or woods behind the house?  I am using 400 grains of F.  Thanks for you help, I am a bit concerned about knowing what the potential distance these balls will travel with this powder charge.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
100 miles ain't enough.

(Sorry to set off Douglas' BS alarm.)

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
Have fun spud ,I wish I was there !

You tell us tomorrow night and then we will know . PLEASE take pictures ,you have a great oppertunity to hit reinforced joints try and hit the heavist beams ...maybe so it goes through several with one shot .

SPLINTERS MAN SPLINTERS WE WANT SPLINTERS . could you put something in the house to represent targets sheets of paper or something . to show splinter patterns ?

I love to bomb it with my stone mortar and fox balls .

almost forgot ....CW is right they will go and go and go .......miles and miles and miles and .......be sure to photograph any stunt trees that are involved . and dont shoot your birdhouse !
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
     That's just our kind of target, Spuddy!  In our formerly, regular trips to the range with 'The Great Lorenzo' we did guite a bit of shooting with that first batch of Fox steel golf balls which he bought before the volume deals were arranged by DD.  We observed that the maximum range was approx. 1,000 yards by seeing puffs of dust on each ricochet for almost 30 rounds in three different shooting sessions.  The longest range ball that we recovered was at 800 yards. Elevation was 0 to 3 degrees during all tests.

As far as penetration goes, we did less experimentation, as we were primarily looking for ways to make group sizes shrink.  However, it was noted that at 30 yards these steel balls make a nice clean cookie cutter hole in the edge of a 2 X 2 target upright.  I believe the load was 500 grains BP.  After firing over two tons of concrete and lead balls over the past thirty-five years, I would judge 100 yards to be a safe distance from a frame house target as long as no steel plates or I-Beams are part of the construction.  Penetration is almost assured at 100 yards and this makes the artillery crew's position much safer.

Considering the safety of those beyond the gun is very important as you have pointed out.

There are open fields for about 3/4 of a mile and then thousands of acres of the North Maine woods and then Canada about 100 miles beyond that.  The nearest road is a woods road used for hauling logs.  That is about 2 miles behind the house.

With 1,400 yards between the muzzle and the woods to shed velocity and also the loss of energy due to penetration of the target materials, we think reaching the woods is a very remote prospect, however it is possible, so field glasses should be used to check the woods edge before firing to detect human activity.  You must ensure that elevation is carefully and securely controlled.  We would use 3 degrees as that should get you easily to the house and we believe an aiming point half way between the eaves and the foundation would be safest.  

Reaching Canada is impossible with this light load; is more powder available?

Mike and Tracy

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
load was 700 grains ..... these things will put a furrow 20 feet long at 200 yds in the prarrie out here then they go airborne agian ..

Being round they just want go far . conicals hit ,tumble , and shed energy .
we havent found any fox balls .

that house is toast and should surrender B4 the first shot ,is there a brick chimmy or anything else solidish to aim at  ......

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
  Good grief, Gary, your memory is worse than mine!  Does this look familiar, just because you did not find it and I did, you are not counting it??  Is that fair?  

Tracy

The 15 to 20 foot grooves these fox balls make in the short prairie grass at about 70 to 80 yards.  Zzzzzzzzzzzzzip!

The Fox ball I located at 800 yards from the gun position.  On the Colorado high plains for about 4 months during the winter.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
I'm going to stick my neck out here and say the ball will not go through the house at all.  Even if it does so much velocity will be bled of that they won't reach the trees.

We will be looking for pictures of impact, damage and exit holes as well as any recovered balls

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
As one point of reference, I have a napoleon with 1-7/8 bore.
The previous owner won a $50 bet that it wouldn't go a MILE.
(He'd done it before, so it wasn't hard to duplicate.)
Lead sphere.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me

In our formerly, regular trips to the range with 'The Great Lorenzo' we did guite a bit of shooting with that first batch of Fox steel golf balls which he bought .

yes ,no ,you are right ,  :D I forgot about that ball ..... did you give it back ? "......gimmie back mah bullett .

Offline GGaskill

I think they will go through the house if they don't hit many 2x4's and then fall relatively close to the house.  However, if they hit a fireblock (horizontal 2x4), they may get deflected upwards and travel somewhat further, depending on the details of the hit. 

Make sure no one is behind the house for several hundred yards minimum.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
Thanks for the responses.  It is supposed to be sunny and 65 degrees here today.  I have batteries charging for the camera and several charges prepared.  Stay tuned for a full report with pictures.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Thanks for the responses.  It is supposed to be sunny and 65 degrees here today.  I have batteries charging for the camera and several charges prepared.  Stay tuned for a full report with pictures.

ALL RIGHT!!!!!    SMOKE!!!    FLAME!!!!     and     SPLINTERS !!!!
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
you should get 700 grains with no problem . 400 grains does sound alittle light . with that load my Parrott will recoil 24 inched on level ground . VERY cool .

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
Hi Tim howed it go ... 8) does the houseShip yet stand/float ? surley not ! You crossed it T and bought all guns to bear in some masterfull seamanship didnt you ?

OR did you shoot up an old house ?  ;D

"Come quick ,big village ,bring packs !" (GAC)

gary

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
Here are the preliminary photos. I still have to get the video downloaded to you tube.  I fired 12 shots with 400 grains F and a nice sabot provided by the amazing Lorenzo. Five of the shots lodged somewhere in the house.  Three of the five went between the ceiling and the second floor.  7 shots went through the first wall and bounced around inside.  The splintering wasn't as much as I had hoped, except for the one shot that hit the door frame.  I have attached a picture of this one.  I am going back tomorrow night with a better camera to get some better shots.  I will have video tomorrow as well.  I have got to go make more charges now.

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
This is a swamp donkey (moose) that wouldn't go away.  And another of the door frame.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
well DD scores ! they didnt go thru ! good call . I would not ever wanted to have been inside !

...and bounced around inside  ;D

Looks like there is enough for round 2 ?

and thats little tiny golfball gun .

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
I should a taken a picture of the balls that I recovered, but I was caught up in the moment and shot them again.  One of them hit a spike and the spike gouged a groove in the steel ball about 1/4 inch wide by 1/2 inch long.  I put the gouge down into the sabot in the next shot and sent it into the ceiling.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
   Looks like you are having way too much fun, Tim.  How about an explanation of that third photo in the first series?  Outer wall penetrated then interior wall 98% ??  Also, is that furniture we see really junky trash, or did you buy furniture for one room for a more realistic test?   ;D

Mike and Tracy, jealous as all get-out and stuck in Broomfield!    :( :(

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
is that a hot water heater in one photo ?  :D

where there spectators ? what did they think ?

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
M&T,
the third picture in the first series is the interior view of the outside wall.  The ball came all the way trrough and bounced off another wall before ending up on the floor in a corner.  I set the ball in the hole for perspective.  The furniture was left by the last resident after his dog ate most of it.  He also left some wild turkey and bud light.  Apparently he was in a hurry when he left.

Gary,
Yes I had spectators.  My two kids and four other friends.  My two had seen the cannon shoot golf balls before and were impressed in the difference in sound and action between the two different projectiles.  The others kept trying to get me to up the charge so we could shoot clean through the house.  I had only made up 400 grain charges so I was able to resist the temptation.  The shot that impressed them the most was the one that hit the foundation.  It is a block foundation and the ball skipped off the ground first before going completely through the block.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works

... and the OLD couple that were still living there were SO DEAF that they didn't even notice until that last round took out the coffee pot ....
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

well DD scores ! they didnt go thru ! good call . I would not ever wanted to have been inside !

...and bounced around inside  ;D

Looks like there is enough for round 2 ?

and thats little tiny golfball gun .

A lot of  experience and just a minor touch of knowledge went into my prediction.

Offline DarbinCo

I think you need to go back with a bowling ball mortar!

Offline Double D

Bowling balls might, maybe penetrate the roof, and lodge in the attic.

Might be tough to hit a house with a Bowling ball mortar at the right range to produce enough energy for pentration.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com

... and the OLD couple that were still living there were SO DEAF that they didn't even notice until that last round took out the coffee pot ....

I believe you have the story about what really happened at the old farmhouse almost correct Tim.  But remember, Mike and I have met the other East Coast Tim, (Spuddy) and found him to be a kind and thoughtful man.  So we believe he would first try to talk them out of the house well before H-Hour arrived.  They, of course, refused to leave, so he was left with a dilemma.  Do I commence the bombardment at the appointed hour, leaving the old couple to their own devices, or do I go the extra mile, and give them the best protection available.  Being a responsible fellow, he decided on the latter, of course!
     So, he and his friends surrounded the old couple, she with her knitting, and he with his pipe and Star-Herald in hand, with a surplus  Myth-Busters, Plexi-Glass, Anti-Explosion Debris, Shield that he purchased on E-Bay.  What a guy!  They weren't even scratched and told Spuddy and friends that the bombardment was even more exciting than riding the Cyclone at Coney Island in 1928!....... ;) ;).

Tracy and Mike

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
The first liar never has a chance.

There has to be an award for slingin it!  Y'all have earned it on this one!
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
Currently uploading two videos to youtube.  The first one is with the camera in the house looking out at the cannon being fired.  interesting prespective.  The second one is with the camera in the house catching a steel ball entering the room through the wall. 

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
What really hapened is that after aunt lizzy's headstone took a fox ball and shattered they had to come up with some darn thingamorroo storyage  ... and quick too .

Foundation chips is proly as good a story as any at a moments notice , NICE catch Tim . I think most readers believed it too .

you know when it comes to story tellin ....I heard that there are NO snakes in Maine ? no kidding .......

There's not supposed to be wolfs along the front range in Co. ............ unless of course you run over one  ....

No snakes ...hard to believe , not a lawyer anywhere in sight ...must a nice place to live .  ::)

IM SORRY JUST LIDDING :D .....work with me here it's fridayday night and we are staring into ......screens  .

really no snakes ? , we were hunting PDs by Carter Lake and nearly stepped on a rattler .....its an intuitive sound that will make you tighter than a duck butt in a powerdive (sorry DD). It's Fri. night and I'm off the rails on a crazy train  ;D.

Hunting rattles became our game for awhile ......much more exciting than shooting PDs . IMHO

They easy to kill , finding where they are is the sketchy part . Hint dont run .......... I watched a guy bolt ,he went heard over heels into picky pears .......

He's lucky he didnt run right into another rattle . still got some nice skins ,my brother made some nice indian flat bows with the rattle backing .

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
Hey Gary,
here is a better picture of what could have been mistaken as a water heater.  The bottle was there befor I got there.