Author Topic: what is a SHTF gun  (Read 974 times)

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Driftwood TEXAS
what is a SHTF gun
« on: May 12, 2010, 04:41:53 PM »
I have seen this term used several times and am curious what really is a SHTF gun?  And what kind of S are we talking about?

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
Re: what is a SHTF gun
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 04:50:25 PM »
Zombies in the front yard. Or anything else that makes you want a gun in your hand with a couple hundred rounds at arms reach.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline mikemayberry

• Contributor
    • http://www.trosperarchery.org
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 06:23:48 PM »
Stands for "stuff hits the fan" and means your "go to" gun in a hurry if you can only take one with you.  At least that's what I always thought it meant.  Events fitting this description could be anything that might force you from your home--natural disaster, civil unrest or whatever.  Wouldn't it be smart to have one rifle and one handgun of the same caliber with lots of ammo that will fit both?

mm

In the absence of factual information, the voids will be filled with the worst possible scenario!

Offline Default_Required

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 06:20:20 PM »
Stands for "stuff hits the fan" and means your "go to" gun in a hurry if you can only take one with you.  At least that's what I always thought it meant.  Events fitting this description could be anything that might force you from your home--natural disaster, civil unrest or whatever.  Wouldn't it be smart to have one rifle and one handgun of the same caliber with lots of ammo that will fit both?

mm

I have the same line of thinking as you Mike , Had the lever action and matching calibered revoler set up for me and another set for the missus. Cant lose your magazine for ether no matter how rattled you may get from said scenerio. Hard times have force the sale of all 3 of those fire arms. and one of the pistols brought me a long wanted 444 Marlin rifle, Which I may very well take to my grave lol  ;D

But to the original poster , It is the arm you are most familiar and praticed with IMHO even if it is a 10/22 Ruger. All the AKs and ARs in world are gonna mean crap if you are not proficient with them. Had an old Vet./Retired LEO tell me once that "If you cant seal the deal in six shots , it wont matter if you have a truck load of ammo behind you." The same te me applies when thinking about what you would consider a SHTF weapon. And of course no one knows your area better then you and what would work best to safe gaurd you and yours.

Offline Dances with Geoducks

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 07:17:57 PM »
Lets see them mall ninjas hump all that weight, magazines and other stuff for a few days.
5lb 30-30 does me just fine

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 09:27:56 AM »
what is a SHTF gun? It is the gun YOU reach for when the crap Hits The Fan. As the discussion shows, opinions on exactly which gun that is varies

The substitution of the word "crap" for the intended word was NOT the act of this writer.
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 09:42:40 AM »
I would guess its a gun you would bet your life on if things were bad enough that you had to face a fight or die decision or had to collect food or die situation. It would be a gun set up for long term use with little hope of repair other than what you can provide for it . It would be that tool you would cling to in the worst of times .
The reality though is in most cases its the gun you carry because you might not be near the safe at home when the processed food matter hits the rotating blades .
On the other hand it could be any gun that comes apart when you shoot it as that surely would be a SHTF moment in anyones book.  ;D
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 12:47:10 PM »
This is a family oriented site intended to be safe for all members of a Christian family to view. As such some words you might use daily in your life are not allowed here and we instead have a program to substitute a more suitable word for the eyes of children and others who do not wish to read what the s stands for here.

To me a SHTF situation would be any situation where me or my family's safety comes into question. Thus a SHTF gun might be any one of those I own depending on just what the exact scenario turns out to be. If we look at it as a total collapse of society situation with roving bands of bad guys you need to defend against that clearly calls for different weapons than a dark street mugger situation.

I don't have just one SHTF weapon but lots of them and which is chosen or is at hand will depend on the specific situation that develops.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline wganz

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 02:03:41 PM »
I have seen this term used several times and am curious what really is a SHTF gun?  And what kind of S are we talking about?
S=Stinky Stuff you Step in while barefoot in a cow pasture and Squishes between your toes.
It is the rifle you wish had when you were stuck in NOLA after Katrina.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 03:23:14 AM »
couldnt have said it better myself Bill.[quote author=Graybeard link=topic=207501.msg1099094583#msg1099094583 date=1273877230

To me a SHTF situation would be any situation where me or my family's safety comes into question. Thus a SHTF gun might be any one of those I own depending on just what the exact scenario turns out to be. If we look at it as a total collapse of society situation with roving bands of bad guys you need to defend against that clearly calls for different weapons than a dark street mugger situation.

I don't have just one SHTF weapon but lots of them and which is chosen or is at hand will depend on the specific situation that develops.
[/quote]
blue lives matter

Offline RB1235

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 01:21:41 AM »
 For me;
 It should be depended on to go boom when needed.
 It should be reasonably accurate.
 It should be an uncomplicated design which is not prone to failure.
 It should be able to reliably feed rounds.
 It should be reasonably strong, able to withstand dropping and severe use.
 It should be reasonably fast and effortless to shoulder, aim and hit targets.
 It should be able to be easily maintained without specialty tools.
 It should be chambered in a readily available caliber.
 It should be effective to the range you wish to use it at.
 It should be powerful enough to eliminate the threat.
 It should be a good compromise in many situations, no one rifle is perfect.
 It should be able to give the user the confidence needed to endure.

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 01:22:48 PM »
 For me its that ONE firearm I'll grab when I can only take one along.  It's gotta be capable of defending my or others life and well being, able to provide food if need be-a jack of all trades working gun.  In my mind, a shotgun will the only gun versatile enough to do most everything a firearm will be called on to do.  It won't be perfect for all scenarios but its not so specialized as to be worthless for certain functions.  An AK-47 or AR-15 would be one of those that would be fine in a running gun fight, not so good trying to take small game to keep starvation at bay. 

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 02:46:58 PM »
Mine would be neither tactical, nor exotic, nor strictly speaking for self defense.

It would be something that when I bleed out, my very small wife would feel confident she could maintain and operate despite malnutrition, fatigue, dehydration and probable illness, and pass on to several generations into the future without any tools, parts or special knowledge.

For me, the threat of a tsunami gave me laser beam focus on this question, as I had reasonable expectation that we would not be coming back to the stockpile at home, and that in the ensuing social collapse/martial law following, a highly visible weapon would be a liability (aka detrimental to survival). What I grabbed told me a lot about the way my mind thinks in a crisis.
held fast