Author Topic: Some reading on the West Point Foundry  (Read 310 times)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Some reading on the West Point Foundry
« on: May 13, 2010, 05:35:10 PM »
Some reading on the West Point Foundry and the Parrott Rifle

http://www.historicpatterson.org/PDFs/CivilWar13-24.pdf
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
Re: Some reading on the West Point Foundry
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 06:11:31 PM »
The "Swamp Angel” as the mounted Parrot gun was called, began bombarding the defenses of the city. This gun shot accurately six miles. When the muzzle was blown off, it still operated accurately.

The author of this article has the 10” Parrott which operated from Battery Strong in the Morris Island ‘parallels’ against Confederate held, Fort Sumter, and subsequently lost about two feet of it’s muzzle due to a premature shell explosion, and which was then “chipped back” to the end of the cracks and went on to give good service with accuracy as acceptable as before for more than 300 rounds, confused with the 8” Parrott known as the Swamp Angel which burst through the breech, upon firing the 36th round toward the City of Charleston, completely disabling the gun.

Neither of these guns shot their projectiles six miles!  The 8” Parrott shot into the lower 25% of the peninsular city with a 4 or 5 block accuracy to a maximum range of 7,400 yards or 4.2 miles, only about 2/3 of the range claimed.

FYI,

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling