Author Topic: centerpoint scope  (Read 1501 times)

Offline mrbigtexan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
centerpoint scope
« on: May 14, 2010, 07:27:31 AM »
well, i just had to have a mil-dot scope to see if i would like one. i did'nt want to bite off on an expensive one just yet, so i go to the local wally world and pick up a centerpoint. so far, it has been surprising, it is as clear and gathers as much light as my other higher priced scopes. i sighted it in, and it has held up and not moved. i then shot 9 rounds through it, moving it every time and it has went were i wanted it to. it as well went right back to 2'' high at 100 yards. so far, i am liking it very well. time will tell how well it will hold up on my 7mm saum. i will report back to this topic on how well it holds up.

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: centerpoint scope
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 12:28:19 PM »
I picked one up a year ago and have had no problems with it, a little heavy but that is the only thing I found that was to my dislikes. mine has the green and red lighted rec.

Deaconllb
Korean war vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing K14 Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defense Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the  CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 12:34:58 PM »
I have 2 of them and like them well, haven't used the red/green lighted crosshairs yet, haven't even installed the batteries.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline whsk

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 02:09:34 PM »
i have one of the 4x16 centerpoints-i have got about 15.00 into it as i had two gift cards that i needed to use-it is large and heavy but so far i have no complaints-will report back after using it-whsk

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 06:45:52 PM »
Could one of you provide a link to one of these scopes? I always like to read about new or different scopes I have not used. Thanks Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline whsk

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 01:54:15 AM »
wal-mart.com and crosman.com will get you the info you are looking for-also on the wal-mart site are reviews of the centerpoint scope with most of them positive-69.95 is a bargain and a half with the features and accessories this scope comes with-whsk

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 02:03:11 AM »
I also have one of the 4 x 16's with the illuminated crosshairs. No problems at all.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 02:25:08 AM »
  At first the idea that Crosman was producing a scope rather put me off.."How can an air gun co. design a scope tough enough for centerfires"?
     Then, a light came on..springer air guns slam the scope one way, then another..so their optics are doubly braced. Since using a Centerpoint, I have applied another air gun scope to .22 LR rifles, with real success.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 03:10:23 AM »
Mine is on a 7.62 x 39 barrel on one of my Contender frames. As reliable and clear as it has been I'm thinking of swapping it over to my 308 Encore and really take advantage of the 16 power.

Dale, go to www.crosman.com to look at their scopes.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline sscoyote

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 08:46:27 PM »
I like them too...so far. Have a 4-16 on an AR i'm experimenting with right now, and so far it's worked well. I especially like the mil-dot reticle in it--14 mils vertically and horizontally. Cald. for 10x, it's 2.25 inch per hundred yds. between dots @ 16x and it measures correctly at each power.

Offline mrbigtexan

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 06:34:01 PM »
i chronographed my load the other day and shot a few extras and it is still holding up well!

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 07:26:54 PM »
  Tried the red/green illuminated crosshairs the other night and they worked well. For me, the red seemed not to overpower the sight picture as much as the green does...that may be just my view of it though.

Offline Huffmanite

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 05:34:44 AM »
I bought the Wally World 4-16 centerpoint scope for about $70 over a couple of years ago to mount on a sporterized surplus military rifle.  Yes, it is heavy but has some nice features, target knobs, A.O. and etc.  I've had it on a number of different centerfire rifles from 257R to 30-06.  It has held up well with lots of rounds fired with it mounted.  However, I'm not too happy with clarity of its lens.....reason it has been on at least four different rifles.   I get a new rifle that needs a scope, put it on it and later replace it with a clearer scope that is easier for me to sight thru.  By sight thru, I mean it seems more critical to me to really center your eye in the rear lens than other brand scopes.

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 10:26:18 AM »
I have a 3-9x40 on a rws 48. Like ironglow said the centerpoint scopes were designed for springer airguns and they are built quite rugged. though as far comparing the clearity of them to even a prostaff then aren't that good but for air gun use mostly out to 50yrds they are fine and dandy. the eye releif on mine isn't very much and quite limited to the variance of where you can be for the eye relief (very specific unlike say a leupold) So far it has held up good on my springer.

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 03:54:59 AM »
Bought a Center Point scope a while back because it was SO INEXPENSIVE and put it away in the safe. Last weekend I decided to see how it would do on a new rifle I bought that didn't have a scope on it yet. It was a Kimber Model 84M in 338 Federal. For those who aren't familiar with the cartridge, it is a .308 necked up to .338 cal. I had some factory rounds and I just wanted to shoot the gun and produce some empties so I could load my own rounds for when I got the scope I ordered for the Kimber. Anyway, I mounted the Center Point and went to the range. I shot a 3 shot group that wasn't what I expected from that rifle. I didn't adjust the reticles because the group was on the paper and I didn't plan to leave the scope on anyway. So I shot another 3 shot group. The group opened up considerably. Another three shots and the scope went black. I never believed the scope would hold up to the recoil of the .338 forever (and the recoil was not that bad either) but I sure thought I could get a box thru the rifle before it went to peices. All it took was 9 (nine!) rounds. I always thought the less expensive scopes are OK for light recoil rifles but as quick as this POS died, don't think it would last thru a brick of shells on any of my .22 rifles. Sure reinforced the wisdom espoused here many times by many good folks: "You get what you pay for".
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 05:52:28 AM »
Dogshooter;
  Take the scope back and get another. Just one would not necessarily prove the whole brand bad..try another one, your dealer should be good for it.
  I haven't put a centerpoint on a heavy recoil rifle, so  I cannot comment categorically..but it's possible you just got a bad individual example to start with
  They do claim to be .416 Rigby tested, but I haven't gone to large centerfires with mine..

Offline mrbigtexan

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 01:21:32 PM »
mine has held up well on my 7mm saum. i agree about taking it back to wal-mart for another.

Offline equinoxbuilders

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 10:00:11 PM »
I have a 3-9x40 on a rws 48. Like ironglow said the centerpoint scopes were designed for springer airguns and they are built quite rugged. though as far comparing the clearity of them to even a prostaff then aren't that good but for air gun use mostly out to 50yrds they are fine and dandy. the eye releif on mine isn't very much and quite limited to the variance of where you can be for the eye relief (very specific unlike say a leupold) So far it has held up good on my springer.

I have to agree with the above statement.

What CenterPoints are good for:
daytime target practice only..
Cheap way to introduce a new shooter to longer distances with a scope.(my kids)
Temporarily mounting a scope on a new/or used rifle to see if it is a shooter, and if the rifle is a shooter, moving to a better scope.

I have a 4x16 CP that I use to judge a new/used rifle.
If rifle is a shooter, I keep the rifle and swap to a better scope.
If rifle is not a shooter, I take off the scope and I trade-in/sell the rifle and get another rifle to test.
I would never permanently put a CP on a hunting rifle.
The eye relief window is way too small.
I too am a fan of Leupold for low light use and eye relief.  Two features one wants on a hunting rifle.
You usually do get what you pay for.
However, one should have no worries getting a CenterPoint scope if it stays within it's intended use.'Target only, and testing rifles"
A fine is for doing something bad.  A tax is for doing something good.  I have to stop being so good.   :grin:

Offline Huffmanite

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 06:00:54 AM »
I would never permanently put a CP on a hunting rifle.
The eye relief window is way too small.
I too am a fan of Leupold for low light use and eye relief.  Two features one wants on a hunting rifle.
You usually do get what you pay for.
However, one should have no worries getting a CenterPoint scope if it stays within it's intended use.'Target only, and testing rifles

Pretty much agree with above.  I too have a 4x16 CP scope and also use it to test a rifle, then replace it with a better scope.

Offline smokey262

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 05:38:14 PM »
They do claim to be .416 Rigby tested

Just tested, or tested and passed?  ;D

My two cents?  An OK low cost scope to fool around with. 

I have the 3-9x32 on a Marlin Model 60.  Works just fine.

Keep your receipt.  Wally has an excellent return policy.