Author Topic: Seacoast Artillery Presents the 8TH What is it?-Where is it? Contest  (Read 3336 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Seacoast Artillery Presents the 8TH What is it?-Where is it? Contest
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2010, 05:52:20 AM »
No 8, howitzer at FT Ross, CA

Offline Zulu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2010, 08:12:54 AM »
Litchfield County, Conn.?
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2010, 08:34:28 AM »
Were those bolts fired out of an Armstrong?
Zulu

Charleston, S.C.
Spotted the building in this picture.  Top right.  Looks like you can see the shells in the yard.

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2010, 09:58:33 AM »
     Right you are KABAR2.  Blakely bolts of 600 Lbs. were delivered with two 60,000 Lb. rifles and complex center-pintle carriages that must have weighed at least 40,000 pounds, alone.  They landed at Wilmington, North Caroline, but Gen. P.T. Beauregard had them sent to Charleston, SC for harbor defense.  It has been estimated that if a Federal Monitor had ever made it to the inner harbor that a 600 Lb. bolt from one of these guns would not have penetrated it's turret, but rather, would have cleaned the whole turret right off the ship.  With charges of 60 Lbs. of powder, they might be correct.    #2    1/2 Credit   KABAR

Thanks for the correct answer on #1, Zulu.  That's a tough cannon to name unless you are familiar with the variety of conversion rifles that those industrious Confederates made.  They didn't care where they came from either, England, Siam, Peru, anyplace!  Of course most of the south's big guns came from the Gosport Navy Yard in Virginia which they captured early in the war, but not this one; it came from across the pond, rifled and banded by a British firm and was shipped to Fort Morgan, our second favorite fort.  Other than Fort Pulaski, this is the place for us.  You just have to be there for a few minutes and you can feel it; Fort Morgan oozes history and it floods you with the feeling that something BIG happened here.  #1    1/2 Credit   Zulu

Sorry, Double D, but no.  Think of a place that, during his first year as Governator, Aaaanold used to go to fight with a whole bunch of Democrat legislators.  The fort is there.  General type of cannon O.K. on this one.

Zulu

Sorry Zulu, but no.  

Zulu, those bolts were designed to be fired out of the big, 12.75 Inch Blakely, the one Allen told us about and posted a picture of.

Keep on truckin!

Mike and Tracy

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline KABAR2

Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2010, 05:01:17 PM »
     Thank you Zulu, Charleston is correct on #2 for location.  Nice photo too; that shows them in the yard which is most likely a parade ground for The Citadel on Haygood St.  Your total goes up to 4  Credits..  Allen, thank you for all the extra info and link to our contest pic and The Citadel Name. You have 2  1/2  Credits, which, on this extra difficult eighth contest, is a darn good effort.  Mike says to let this one go another hour.  I agree, so we will announce a winner at 9:00 P.M. Mountain Time, tonight.

So, if anyone would like to chime in, go ahead, if no one answers these by nine o'clock we will finish the few loose ends and declare a winner.

T&M

Offline KABAR2

Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2010, 06:06:00 PM »
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Checking a possible error in scoring now, sorry for the delay.

T&M

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2010, 06:11:17 PM »
T&M now that this posting is two pages long
there is one problem here it has gotten confusing as to which ones are solved ,
 which ones are half solved and which ones are still open.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2010, 06:14:48 PM »
  Yes I know Allen, we will post an update on score and which ones need solving soon.

I apologize to both of you; some how I had Zulu credited with both the gun and the loc. on #6, which was incorrect.  Zulu has 1/2 Credit for the Gun Name/description on that one, making his score 4 full Credits.  KABAR2 just won 1/2 Credit on #6, with the town name, San Louis Obispo, CA., so he is credited with 3 full Credits.

We still need for #1   gun name/description

#8   gun name and location; see Governator hint which should be plenty for loc.

#9   need location; so many hints have been given that no more will be given.

That's it.  another 1/2 hour will be given.  !0:00 p.M. mountain time is it!

T&M

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2010, 07:26:48 PM »

The final Score is as Follows:

Zulu      4

KABAR2  3

Zulu has earned the Title of Cannon Hunter, Extraordinaire and is entitled to all rights and privileges attached, thereto.  This is his first win in these contests and we hope he will try it again sometime.  Persistence is the key here and willingness to do lots of dogged detective work.  Congratulations, Zulu!

Allen, your efforts were appreciated very much as well.  You always present such clear and complete answers; we sure do like reading your info and looking at the pics you find.  Thank you!

Tracy and Mike

Some answers are here:

#1  Gun Name is:    Blakely Rifle Conversion of British 68 Pdr.of 95 cwt., 8.12” Smooth Bore Cast by Low Moor Co.  Marked LOW  MOOR and 1862 and P 1158 ( Preponderance 1,158 Lbs.)  The one at West Point IS the Fort Morgan Conversion Rifle.

#8  An Iron Howitzer in Sutter's Fort in Sacramento, CA  

#9   3.67” 20 Pdr. Navy Parrott Rifle in turret.  24 Pdr. Flank Howitzer M1844 on the lawn at 176 year old, Mount Hope Cemetery in Bangor,ME during the Civil War The 20 Pdr.  gun served onboard the Wamsutta.  The 1st Maine Heavy Artillery Regiment sustained more casualties in a single day of combat than any other Union regiment in the Civil War.  Ill-fated attack of Confederate breastworks at Petersburg. The totals are:  7 officers and 108 men killed; 25 off, 464 men wounded.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2010, 07:38:51 PM »
2) I believe are Blakely bolts see sketch.

link http://captainblakely.org/default.aspx

Is 1) a Blakely rifle? the muzzle swell is confusing me

and the "widiow Blakley is of no help without it's muzzle....

http://www.civilwarartillery.com/Vicksburg/widowblakely.htm

I had asked about 1) in this post......

And this is what they were converted from.....

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2010, 09:42:16 PM »
2)

Is 1) a Blakely rifle? the muzzle swell is confusing me

And this is what they were converted from.....

Allen,   From the Blakely site for which you posted a link comes this which explains exactly what Blakely's agents did to get those 68 pounders from Low Moor converted and sent to the Confederacy as conversion rifles.

Low Moor guns seem to have been used primarily in the Western Confederacy, imported through Mobile, Alabama in one shipment.

8 inch Blakely Low Moor Gun

The 8 inch Low Moor Guns 1862

In addition to the relatively well-known 7 ˝ inch conversions the Low Moor Company also adapted the cast-iron tubes of the Royal Navy 68 pounder gun into a much more effective 8 inch calibre rifled piece. This was originally a smooth-bore shell-firing gun, the Navy’s largest piece before rifling was introduced, and weighed 10,500 pounds. As with the 7˝ inch conversions the 8 inch barrels were either made new or from commercial stock; the work done either by Low Moor or by Low Moor and Fawcett Preston. Blakely had first demonstrated this inexpensive adaptation in 1857.

The conversion process was different from the 7˝ inch guns. The cast-iron tubes, with all their traditional “ornamental” rings and modelling, had the breech end turned into a cylinder, and, instead of the breech band, a long, well-rounded steel jacket was forced on to just before the trunnions; the muzzles keeping their traditional moulding. The rifling was also different from the 7˝ inch guns; just three “centrical” right-hand twist grooves were cut. This all allowed an increase in the maximum projectile weight from a 68 pound round-shot to a 130 pound Scott-pattern flanged bolt.

There were, it seems, just six of these large 8 inch rifled guns, imported into the Confederate States. Three were brought in through Wilmington during the spring of 1863, to supplement three already present. One of these was retained at Fort Fisher, Wilmington, one was installed at Battery Wagner near Charleston and one at Fort Morgan, near Mobile.

Allen, the close up of the Fort Morgan cannon shows this well-rounded steel jacket quite well. Mike and I studied this very Fort Morgan, Blakely conversion rifle at West Point, New York and it is in remarkable condition, except for a missing trunnion. The 3-groove rifling is very deep at .400" and the appearance is striking with those 3 huge grooves.  The Blakely or Low Moor foundrymen must have polished the whole gun to the equivalent of 600 grit.  The surface shines, even to this day, and a fine patina has prevented any red rust from forming. 

Tracy and Mike

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2010, 05:11:20 AM »
My point was I had asked if it was a blakley and the question was never addressed/acknoleged....missed?
at which point I began looking in other directions waisting time.
Oh well better luck next time.....

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2010, 07:08:35 AM »
     Allen,   You'll just have to take Tuco's advice in the Movie, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly:  "If you're going to shoot, Shoot, don't talk."  I never, and I mean Never discuss the elements of an answer with a contestant.  I must keep my responses to Yes, you are credited with such and such, OR, No, here is another Hint or Clue.  If you think about it a bit, you will understand why it has to be that way.  Simply put, I can't respond to questions; I can only respond to answers, right or wrong.

T&M

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2010, 08:09:13 AM »

Allen,   You'll just have to take Tuco's advice in the Movie, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly:  "If you're going to shoot, Shoot, don't talk."  I never, and I mean Never discuss the elements of an answer with a contestant.  I must keep my responses to Yes, you are credited with such and such, OR, No, here is another Hint or Clue.  If you think about it a bit, you will understand why it has to be that way.  Simply put, I can't respond to questions; I can only respond to answers, right or wrong.

T&M

M&T here's the rub...... Look at Zulu's "answers" many of which are posed as a question.........

" Is #8 a howitzer at Fort Point in Fort Mason, California?
Zulu

Okay, #3 is fort point but I can't tell what the gun is.
Zulu

32 pounder seacoast gun?  A good guess for that fort.

Is #9 a Parrott rifle and a 24 pounder Howitzer in Washington D.C.?

Alexandria, Virginia?

Zulu

Were those bolts fired out of an Armstrong?
Zulu

Thanks for the correct answer on #1, Zulu.  That's a tough cannon to name unless

This made it seem that it was answered but I can not find where it was answered.

each example here Zulu has answered it as a question  to which you gave info or said
weather it was correct.

mine when posed as a question was either missed or ignored and telling zulu he was correct
on #1 confused the issue further.

"Is 1) a Blakely rifle? the muzzle swell is confusing me"

is actually is no different than zulu posing and answer as a question.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2010, 10:26:20 AM »
     KABAR2,  Sorry you feel that way, if you want to, you give us a call and we will discuss your concerns and perhaps incorporate them into the next one.  In case you have forgotten, we don't get paid to create these contests and most members realize that we don't do all that we do on GBO Cannon and Mortar with ANY hopes at all to make a sale.  We simply do it for the fun of it.  As soon as it ceases to be fun, we will be out of here faster than Cannonman.  Please give us a call after 6 P.M., we look forward to talking with you.

Mike and Tracy

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2010, 04:17:53 PM »
Wait a minute!

I thought you got paid twice what the moderators got paid!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2010, 05:24:39 PM »
First My apologies for the sour grapes rather than doing this in public I should have pm'd my concerns,

Like everyone one else I appreciate the effort that goes into these contests by Mike & Tracy ,

Tracy and I had a nice talk this evening all is well.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2010, 09:39:44 PM »
Wait a minute!

I thought you got paid twice what the moderators got paid!

Not a cent, CW, not a cent, but I'm not bitter at all, in fact I'm Happy for you moderators, Double D with his GBO Deluxe SUV and you with your bags of cash delivered frequently but irregularly so that no one can detect a pattern.  You guys deserve every GBO penny you make even if the amount seems obscene to us entry level workers.   ;) ;)

Allen called me this evening and we had a nice chat.  We both admitted that improvements could be made in contest feedback and communication skills.  The important thing is we found that we had a lot in common, and decided that respect for each others efforts was the key for the future.   ;D ;D

Tracy and Mike

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2010, 04:58:28 AM »
I'm glad this was straightened out.  I really had fun doing some research on things I would normally never have looked at.  I found some neat websites and learned stuff I didn't know before.  If some of my answers looked like guesses, that's because they were.  At least they were educated guesses based on some piece of information I had found.  It was like trying to solve a mystery when you are not a detective. :P
Thanks Tracy and Mike!
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com