Author Topic: another Back yard cannon fun!!!  (Read 566 times)

Offline Eyes Of Death

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Dehogger
another Back yard cannon fun!!!
« on: May 17, 2010, 06:12:11 PM »

Well not quite back yard but out doors at a friend of mine's deer farm. This was at a archery tournament that had twenty targets at varies distances. And a all walking course of just under two miles. This was a shot gun start. The teams wear randomly selected to walk to a target and what for the cannon shot.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: another Back yard cannon fun!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 06:28:10 PM »
We already have a long running post called Backyard cannon fun so I changed the name of this post to another back yard cannon fun.  The original backyard cannon fun post is the second most replied to post and the seventh most viewed post on GBO.

It is an active post in hiatus while author Ray recover from a nasty hand injury.

Nic shot was that a ball load or blank load?

Offline Eyes Of Death

• Dehogger
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 07:44:31 PM »
No problem with the name change. It was a blank load. A different friend does explosives, production and experimental. That was a type of black powder that replaces about 80% of the charcoal with sugar. It makes a ton of smoke or mostly water vapor. The bore will be dripping with water after the shot. I'm trying to get him to market it to reenactors. But he is busy with his other products. It is a large pellet. You can see some of the pellet that shattered and didn't light in the pics. And it was about 75% humidity out that pic was taken at 10:00am.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 08:20:44 PM »
your friend is quite smart when he doesnt sell it to reenactors if it shatter and shoot pieces of itself out of the muzzle .
sugar is quite hard and dense
what do you think it would cost your friend if one of the reenactors would lose an eye ??
if its possible to use in granulated shape it would be much better
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 05:13:11 AM »
Sugar based powder for used right away is one thing but the problem is long term storage
it is hydroscopic, in my younger years I used to experiment with different formulas for powders
including one that replaced the charcoal with sugar you need to keep it warm to get most of the
moisture out of the mix, I was using it in small rocket engines and it worked well but left a heck
of a residue I could not imagine using it in a cannon.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 05:13:52 AM »

Well not quite back yard but out doors at a friend of mine's deer farm. This was at a archery tournament that had twenty targets at varies distances. And a all walking course of just under two miles. This was a shot gun start. The teams wear randomly selected to walk to a target and what for the cannon shot.

Those pictures are absolutely COOL.  8)
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"