Author Topic: Powder Flask Spout.  (Read 1535 times)

Offline doc623

• Trade Count: (1)
Powder Flask Spout.
« on: May 18, 2010, 10:40:22 AM »
I am still learning - if you can still learn at my age.
I have never used a powder flask. And therefore I do not know how or when to use a flask spout.
I do not even have a powder flask.
I did however come by several powder flask spouts of various sizes in a box at an auction - new -  and have yet to get a flask.
I guess I should get a flask.
How do you use a flask and therefore the spout.
Anyone need a spout?

Offline FourBee

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Powder Flask Spout.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 11:14:36 AM »
Hi Doc:
The  Colt revolver flask and the Remington flask accept the standard screw-in spouts.   The spouts come in different grain sizes for 'Black Powder Only'.   The mentioned flasks have a spring loaded gate that you open and turn the flask of powder upside down while holding your finger over the opening of the spout, then release the gate and you have a spout full of a powder charge.   ;D
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline doc623

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 05:40:26 AM »
Thanks. I think I am getting the picture.

Offline Uncle Howie

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 03:41:36 PM »
Just out of curiosity- is anyone here loading their cap and ball revolvers straight out of the flask's measuring spout?

I know that loading a rifle out of the flask is considered dangerous, due to the possibility of an ember way down in the barrel.

I started loading revolvers by using a flask/measuring spout, then dumping into a measure, then dumping the measure into the cylinder. Obviously, dumping a measured powder charge into a measure is redundant, but it keeps the flask a little farther from the possibility of an ember. It would surely be a lot easier (but riskier???) to dump the flask's measuring spout directly into the cylinder.

What say the experts?

Offline FourBee

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 07:59:53 AM »
Just out of curiosity- is anyone here loading their cap and ball revolvers straight out of the flask's measuring spout?

Yes, I do. After shaking a measure into the spout, I release the spring loaded Spout Gate and pour it into the chamber.    I waste a lot of powder trying to do it the safest way.  I know it isn't recommended by most shooters, but that's the way I do it. 
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Avid Poster
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 06:53:31 PM »

What say the experts?

I've always loaded C&B revolvers from a flask.  It is easy to do and is not unsafe.  Most C&B shooters in SASS that I know load the same way.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee
Man of many Colt's and alter ego of Diabolical Ken
SASS Regulator 28654-L-TG, Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire
Pistoleer/Frontiersman, Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers; Moniteau Creek River Raiders, The Ozark's Posse, Butterfield Trail Cowboys
NRA Endowment Life: NMLRA, GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-115; STORM 327, LASOOS 144, SBSS735

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be."  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Flint

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 12:59:40 PM »
The long time between stages in a SASS/CAS match would leave no smoldering embers.  Even a plinking session, unless you are using paper cartridges is unlikely to have embers.  I consider it to be safe and use a flask for loading either on the gun or on a cartridge loading stand.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life