Author Topic: Help me spend money, what would you do?  (Read 514 times)

Offline guzzijohn

• Trade Count: (0)
Help me spend money, what would you do?
« on: May 19, 2010, 06:54:13 AM »
It looks like I may have some money freed up to spend on firearms toys. At this time I am thinking of going one of two ways. First is to "freshen" up my highwall (see picture) by having the receiver and handle color case hardened along with a stock refinish and a barrel reblue. This highwall does not really have any collectors value and appears to have been reblued once before but without removing some minor pitting. It is a good shooter that shoots consistent 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards and is a .219 Donaldson-Wasp. My other thought is to buy a new Colt single action in .45 plus getting reloading dies, holster and belt. My guess is that either would be in about the same ballpark cost wise.
GuzziJohn

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
Re: Help me spend money, what would you do?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 07:31:56 AM »
Yikes.  You're talking two things I know absolutely nothing about.  I'd take that money and go hunt something.  But my question is, is it really that expensive to have a gun case colored?  I know roughly how much it costs to reblue a gun, and it seems to me you're going to spend quite a bit more.

Offline guzzijohn

Re: Help me spend money, what would you do?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 07:51:55 AM »
The stock has what appears to be some water damage on the bottom inch or so. That is the main reason for a possible stock refinish and it does not have an original butt plate. The scope really needs reblued, also and my vertical crosshair is kind of wavy but keeps a zero so I would also like that redone. I am guessing by then you would have quite a bit into it, especially if you went through someone like Doug Turnbull.
GuzziJohn