Author Topic: Progressive press  (Read 677 times)

Offline bolewine

• Trade Count: (2)
  • BUT I ONLY NEED ONE SHOT!!
Progressive press
« on: May 20, 2010, 12:22:14 PM »
 ok-here's the thing,I have been reloading for almost 10 years now mostly for rifle started loading handgun rounds about 2 years ago.all has been well and I am Turing out some outstanding rounds-but this is allot of work with a single stage press,even when I have 4 of them set up. I'm going to start shooting steel matches which means I'll need a lot of ammo I have .357mag/.38 spl .40cal and 9mm I'll be shooting the 9mm for steel and down the road a.45. I would like your collective opinion on auto indexing presses (dillion,rcbs,hornady) or any others you might have experience with. cost is not a factor, because I believe in buying the right tool regardless of the cost,it just might take a little more time to get it. so give me your honest opinion on them,likes and dislikes so I can make an informed decision when it comes time to purchase.

Thanks
      Brett
EATING WILD GAME FROM AROUND THE WORLD-AND PISSING P.E.T.A. OFF!

Offline john keyes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Progressive press
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 01:51:46 PM »
the good and the bad of progressive presses:

you can make a lot of good ammo in a hurry

you can make a lot of bad ammo in a hurry

setting up properly and making all is a go before cranking that handle a bunch of times and learning all of the tweaking and the adjustment.  you will need tool heads for each caliber unless you want to re-set up every time.

you are looking at a big investment. if it is worth it, go for it. look around for some used. somewhere there is somebody who has lost interest and doesn't shoot much anymore
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 01:57:29 PM »
The Hornady Lock-‘n-Load, Things that I like, ‘n things that I don’t like:

The “like” list:

1)   The Lock-n-load system itself. This is a great system. You can change from one caliber to the next in a minute. In fact, I bot a RCBS single stage rockchucker and did the LNL upgrade for when I do those 5 to 10 round work-up loads.
2)   The unit is made of cast iron and is as solid as a rock. The center plunger is 2” thick and will yield to nothing. Oh, nothing X-tra to buy! No mount plates for $48…no plate hold this or handle roll $49 that. It’s all there for the price.
3)   The cartridges are held in the shellplate by a spring. This is a very nice feature and makes taking the brass in and out of a shellplate (if you have too) quick and easy. Much easier than the Dillon brass pin system. Ever try to find one of those little brass pins on the floor?
4)   Powder measure. Yeah….this should be the clincher. You only need one with the LNL because it’s easy to take off, dump the powder and put a different powder in. You gotta go thru your craftsman tool box to remove the Dillon powder measure. The reason Dillon owners have so many powder measures (at $70 a pop) is because it takes 20 minutes to change powder types. In the 4 years of owning my  LNL, I never once thought of buying a second powder measure. Just buy the $15 quick change powder die and have it pre-set for each caliber you load. Then your change over is quick and easy. Or, if you don’t want to spend the $15, you will just have to adjust the powder die you have (cheapskate).
5)   Auto-advance. This is really nice. Pretty tough to get double powder charges when the unit advances the brass. This can still happen (a double charge) if your foolin around during setup…so caution is always recommended. But, the auto indexing is a wonderful thing!
6)   Auto case feed. I bot the case feed when I got mine. If you have the bucks and load a bunch, get it. I love mine. ‘Nuff said.
7)   With the “free bullets” promo…..the cost of the actual unit is way below what mine actually cost me “way back when.” Even if you don’t use the bullets….re-sell ‘em.

The “could be better” list”

1)   The primer feed needs to have some kind of “weight” to keep a small amount of pressure  on the primers to keep them feeding. I bot a $.40 wooden dowel rod, and marked it so I know when I’m going to run out of primers. Works like a charm.
2)   Remember those springs that hold in the brass? You know how I said they are just wonderful? Well, they are, but they do break…so, order about 10 replacements and keep ‘em hangin on your bench. ‘Cause if your loadin away and your spring breaks and you don’t have a replacement….you can’t load no more.

That’s about it. Yup….only 2 items on my “whine” list. It’s a great unit. Put it on your “consider to buy it” list.

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 03:06:40 PM »
I will argue long and hard about those case retaining springs breaking.
I have two Hornady presses, the oldest being a 1989 model.
The springs do not break, an impatient operator can break them but I have never needed to replace one. Remove it before changing shell plates and reinstall it when finished. This will extend the life greatly.
The spring is WAY better than little brass buttons.
I do use a rod on top of the primers, it also acts as a visual to how many primers are left.

Offline v-man

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 04:37:43 PM »
I have a complete lock N load progressive I'm trying to sell if you are interested.

Offline Larry Gibson

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 05:26:41 PM »
Dillon, that's all that needs said.  Check their web sight or get a catalog.

Larry Gibson

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
RCBS Piggyback II
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 07:17:50 PM »
It is an ADD-ON unit that converts the single stage Rockchucker into a 5-stage (if needed) Progressive.  I went this way due to economics and timing.  It was "relatively inexpensive" to add it, a milestone going from single to progressive, and I had already made nearly ten thousand one-at-a-time rifle bullets.  I started reloading for pistols only recently.

I use the PBII to make pistol and 223 caliber (Spray and Pray - but what a HOOT to SHOOT) rifle rounds. 

Rounds longer than 2.260" COL can not be loaded with a PBII.

There are Progressives made specifically to be PROGRESSIVES and there are ADD-ONS that will get the job done.   I make mine work for me. 

Buying additional shell plates was the latest and most recent "economic and timing" decision.  Another milestone completed.  The PBII has already surpassed, with ease, the single stage Rockchucker.

Offline milespb

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 07:42:54 PM »
+1 for the Dillon. I liked the 550 so much that I bought a second one to set up for lg. primers. If you absolutely want the auto indexing look at the 650. Their quality and customer service is second to none.

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 10:24:08 PM »
Ive had my Dillion RL550 going into my 2nd million rounds. Ive had it about 20 yrs. Used to do some reloading on the side for a lot of friends. Have managed to break a couple of things and one phone call and a free replacement part is on the way. I load for 9mm 38/357 40, 44spl/mag, 7mm 30/06, 45/70.  Got a couple dollars tied up in dies, tool heads etc.. but only takes couple min to change cals and on my way again.

Gun Runner

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 03:53:20 AM »
ive got 3 lock and loads and a 550 dillon. What would i recomend or even what would i have if i could have only one. MY 550 HANDS DOWN. Its a simpler press with less things that can go wrong with it that will frustrate a gun just starting with a progressive. Some guys bash the manual index but it makes it easy to use the press as a single stage when you need one. If you want to upgrade later you can still get a case feeder for it. Although i can kick out alot of ammo fast on one without a case feeder. Kept clean there isnt another press on the market more reliable. Sure it wont keep up to my lock and loads with case feeders and it wont run with a 650 but if youve never used either of them and are stepping up from a single stage you wont notice it anyway as you will be cranking out ammo like you never thought possible. Ive got to add one thing to this post. Hair trigger ive used my hornadys to load many many thousand rounds and ive had them only a bit less then 2 years. In that time ive gone through at least a half a dozen of those springs and if your never ruined one your either  loading so slowly and carefully that anyone on a 550 will keep up to you or you just haven loaded enough ammo on them. Hornady must know that because when i called them to tell them i needed one they sent me 6. I keep a supply of them and a few primer return springs. The primer return springs are needed on the dillon too.
blue lives matter

Offline Boxhead

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 06:54:20 AM »
I looked, read and studied long and hard and bought a Hornady a bit ago. I have only loaded a bit on it but no problems to date. The Midway website has a lot of reviews on the Hornady. Here's another pretty good site that compares the various progressives.

http://ultimatereloader.com/

I also bought one of these for my Hornady.

http://www.powderfunnels.com/

Offline Catfish

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 09:17:24 AM »
Been useing a 550 Dillon since the late 1970`s. t`s still the best on the market, and the best for the money.

Offline Autorim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 05:35:08 PM »
Dillon 550. I don't think you will ever be sorry. I think I have 3 powder measures for mine and tool heads and dies for 9mm, .357, .41 mag, .44 mag, .45 AR, .45 ACP, .45 Colt and maybe some more.

It is important to pay attention and set up correctly for each caliber. I make a habit of looking in each cartridge case to inspect the powder charge before placing a bullet for seating. Once set up I can crank out a bunch of good loads.

Ken

Offline OLDHandgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 02:00:17 AM »
Another vote for Dillon. Bought my 450 in the early 80's then upgraded to 550. Never a problem.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 03:43:29 AM »
keep in mind when reading reviews that alot of guys buy these things and basicaly never load a ton of ammo on them. My 3 lock and loads all had teething problems but i do have the running pretty well right now. Ive got probably 10k on each press now and am just getting to really understand there quirks. I bought them rather they 650s because basicaly they were cheaper and with the free bullet offer they had last year they were about giving them away. Now the bullets are gone. Would i now rather have 650s? Well ill go this way. I think hornadys case feeder system is a big week link. Its an add on and the 650 is designed from the git go for one and its much more reliable. I run two lock and loads with case feeders and would rather have 650s sitting in those spots. i also run one lock and load without a case  feeder for rifle and odd ball stuff i dont load on the 550. The lock and load is a much handier press then the 650 if your not going to use a case feeder. there about manditory on a 650 and you can load just fine without one on the hornady. I wish i could have a hybrid. Id take the 650 with hornady lock and load bushings and powder measure and the two step advance and the primer feed from a 550. Bottom line though is that if someone told me i had to load a 1000 rounds of ammo without any stoppages or id be shot id go right over to my 550 and wouldnt even raise a sweat worrying. With the 650 or the hornday id be a bit nervous but would probably make it. If there were nothing but lee progressives in the shop id punch the guy in the face imediatley and take my chances like that.  
I looked, read and studied long and hard and bought a Hornady a bit ago. I have only loaded a bit on it but no problems to date. The Midway website has a lot of reviews on the Hornady. Here's another pretty good site that compares the various progressives.

http://ultimatereloader.com/

I also bought one of these for my Hornady.

http://www.powderfunnels.com/
blue lives matter

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 12:35:46 PM »
In a way I agree with LLoyd. Dillon owners load one load per caliber and leave it set at that and run bunches. They load a few calibers but not more than 6 or 8 usually. I use my Hornady for load development as well as batches of up to maybe 300-500 before changing to another caliber. The dillon guys I know are the type that throw money at a problem and at times lots of it. The Hornady owners I know have loading habits simular to mine, low to mid volume of a caliber but many calibers.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 01:57:46 PM »
sorry hair trigger but i have lnls and most of my load developement is done on the 550 and once i get a load i then crank them out on the hornady. For the most part i dont want auto advance when i working up loads. Sometimes i even use both as with 223. I size primer and trim with a dillon trimmer mounted on the lnl them tumble and finish loading on the 550.  Granted i sometimes do use the lnl for load deveolpment. Main reason why i sometimes use it is I much prefer the hornady measure and keep stems set up in many charge weights so the little conveince advantage to the 550 for load developement is a wash if im working up loads for something like a 44 mag or 45 colt that i have lots of stems allread set to try differnt powders and charge weights. As to setting them up in one caliber i dont do that but keep one set in small primer mostly for 223 one in large pistol for 44 and 45colt and 45acp. These two have case feeders. the thrird is set up in large primer and i use it mostly for odd ball stuff like 475 and 500 linebaugh 4570 444 50ak ect. Now more money thrown at it i keep powder measures allready adjusted for the lenght of each so i dont have to ajust anything when i switch calibers. Like I said i probably have 30 powder stems set up in differnt weights. Then i keep my 550 for mostly small primers stuff like 32 mag 38special 3220 22 hornet ect. and also use it for specialty stuff and load developement and a back up  so i have tool heads for it set up in about every caliber. I guess my way isnt the normal way. Some may think i get a bit carried away but i shoot alot and anything i can do to cut down on loading time means more time to shoot and cast. Plus its ver nice when you walk into the loading room to load some ammo and in 5 minutes are actually loading ammo in any caliber you want and are doing it with the least wasted motion and time possible. Kind of like a carpenter, why use a hammer when you can use a paslode gun!
blue lives matter

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 07:01:44 AM »
Perhaps it is what you start on and get used to. About 10 years into reloading I kept hearing how great dillon was so I bought a SDB... ok press limited to pistol and the old Hornady powder measure I was used to was WAY better than the Dillon. I hate the little brass buttons dillon used instead of a case retaining spring also plus the SDB felt left handed to me. I sold it and bought a 550... I just dont get the manual indexing, The hornady shell plate can be reversed when the ram is at mid stroke if you need to back up but it is a very rare occasion. The 550 is missing the 5th station which sure comes in handy when using a lube die and a crimp die.
I did look at the 650 but when put next to my Projector the 650 has so many parts.... little plastic parts and springs that are not needed on the Projector.
Having said all of that I do agree that the Hornady press is not for you if all you want to do is set it up and see how fast you can reload. My Hornady presses work much better at a moderate speed, also I find I make mistakes when setting speed records. Smooth and steady wins the race for me

Offline bolewine

• Trade Count: (2)
  • BUT I ONLY NEED ONE SHOT!!
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 12:00:39 PM »
  OK,

lets not include working up loads on a progressive I don't think that what it was intended for I have 4 single stage presses and a RCBS Chargemaster for that, I  wouldn't even use it for rifle loads unless I want to crank out a but load of .223's.I'm looking for discussion mostly on the major brands for production ,mostly of handgun rounds -like the ease of set up and reliability, service from the factory. any one own a rcbs 2000 would like to hear from you, and I know dillion owners our very loyal. so far I'm leaning towards the Lock N' Load
EATING WILD GAME FROM AROUND THE WORLD-AND PISSING P.E.T.A. OFF!