Author Topic: New Scale  (Read 1182 times)

Offline tony212

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
New Scale
« on: May 23, 2010, 03:40:59 AM »
I think my RCBS Partner scale is crapping out on me.  Anyone have any thoughts on what I should replace it with?  I've been looking at RCBS 750 for about $120.00, but I saw one in Midsouth that was a dispenser/scale combo for $199.00.  Anyone have any experience with Smartreloader?
Tony

Offline KansasPaul

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: New Scale
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 10:41:41 AM »
I went through this process about a month ago - at the time I was looking at an electronic scale.  Since then I have had my eye on the RCBS Chargemaster set-up.  It utilizes 2 units that can be operated independently - one an electronic scale, the other a charge dispenser.  The combo unit is much more cost effective if you were to buy both.  Natchez has the unit on sale right now for $287.  I know that's a lot of money but this is the way I think I would go.  It may be worth a look.

Paul

Offline Dances with Geoducks

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 01:13:39 PM »
A RCBS 5-0-5 or 10-10 are the best you can get. I despise finicky electronic scales. I will never own one again.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 01:15:06 PM »
I think my RCBS Partner scale is crapping out on me.  Anyone have any thoughts on what I should replace it with?  I've been looking at RCBS 750 for about $120.00, but I saw one in Midsouth that was a dispenser/scale combo for $199.00.  Anyone have any experience with Smartreloader?
Tony
Here is some more information on that scale. Midsouth does not say anything about it. It also has a link ti their web site. Hope this helps you a little. It does sound like a pretty good deal. Take care Dale
http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2009/12/23/new-smartreloader-isd-digital-powder-dispenser/
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline wncchester

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 02:10:20 PM »
"A RCBS 5-0-5 or 10-10 (and the Redding beam) are the best you can get. I despise finicky electronic scales.

Ditto.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline goodconcretecolor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 03:15:39 PM »
The only thing I likea digital scale for is case sorting so I bought a $30 sale unit from Midway and it does fine for that. I have been responsible for keeping scales in calibration at work for 11 years. Balance beams don't get out of calibration unless dirty or damaged and are easy to check with a set of check weights. Some digital scales are OK but the balance type has never let me down. Not so digitals. Balances are the KISS principal in action. (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Offline bolewine

• Trade Count: (2)
  • BUT I ONLY NEED ONE SHOT!!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 11:42:06 AM »
  I own a rcbs charge master, for accurate rifle and hand gun loads I couldn't live with out it, has its own cal.weights and measures almost all powers I use exactly. period. best dam thing ever invented you can dump and seat one load while the next is dispensing. I could never live with a balance scale and powder tickler again I gave all but one away,just as a backup have my charge master for 3 years with out so much as a hiccup!
EATING WILD GAME FROM AROUND THE WORLD-AND PISSING P.E.T.A. OFF!

Offline wncchester

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 12:13:43 PM »
"I gave all but one away,just as a backup have my charge master for 3 years with out so much as a hiccup!"

Great!  Only 42 more years and your CM will equal the record of my Ohaus/Lyman M5 (now sold as the RCBS 1010)!  Of course my old scale will still be running strong then too.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 10:25:16 AM »
Hornady also has a new one out called the Lock and Load Auto Charge. Natchez also has it on sale for $229.99. I think I may go that route. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline benny123

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 06:41:18 PM »
I just posted a RCBS Chargemaster on a popular buying/selling site but, honestly, I think the Lyman 1200 III is a better value. It is smaller and more compact, equilibrates quicker, and can download data if need be. I found the ramp up speed in the Lyman to be more uniform. Whereas in the RCBS I found that it starts off sounding like a turbine releasing the majority of charge pretty quickly, but once it gets within ~5/10 of a grain of the intended charge, it's motion became very sporadic. With the Lyman there wasn't this kind of anticipation. You knew when it would be done.

Regarding accuracy, they are accurate to a 1/10th of a grain. My smaller RCBS digital scale is significantly less accurate due to the open-air design.

They definitely save time and without sacrificing accuracy. Just a question if you want to spend the $ in my mind.

Tony

Offline tony212

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 04:34:36 AM »
Thanks for all the info.  After much research and pondering I decided to go for the RCBS 750 digital.  I went to Cabela's last Saturday and picked one up for $110.00.  I tried it out this morning for the first time and it worked excellent.  It stabalizes 10 times faster than my old partner or beam scale.  I have never loaded a box of ammo in such a short time.  I think I'm going to be happy with this scale.
Tony212

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 04:04:08 PM »
I have been waiting on Hornady to get off the butts and get the scale out to the public.  Midsouth has them listed for $218 but it have been on order ALL FREEKIN YEAR!

Hornady needs to get the products out or quit.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline moosie

• 1 of 2 nice 8 pointers last year
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 02:34:24 PM »
You might want to send your old scale back to RCBS for checking.  I had some problems with my RCBS scale "hanging" before balancing out.  I contacted them, and they had me send the scale directly to Ohaus with an order number from RCBS.  My scale was cleaned and recalibrated (new weights under the pan) and returned to me for nothing but my original postage.  Works like new now.
moosie
To fire an accurate shot means to not just hit the target, but to know where the target was hit before the bullet got there.