Author Topic: Scope alternatives  (Read 2059 times)

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Scope alternatives
« on: May 24, 2010, 03:53:27 AM »
I want to improve my encore 45/70 sights without throwing weight & handling of firearm.  I would be shooting big game at distances up to 100 yards.  What are my best options & cost?  Thanks, Al

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Scope alternatives
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 04:35:44 AM »
Peep sights like those by Williams, for example, about $75.  A small holographic sight like the Bushnell FastFire 2, about $200.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline 243dave

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 06:26:42 AM »
I realize you are looking for a scope alternative but have you considered a small, low powered scope??  A small shotgun scope such as the bushnell banner with 1.5x4.5 power and a heavy plex may fit your needs.  For about $70 its a lot of scope for the $$.  Compact and light with lots of eye relief and set at low power gives you lots of FOV while at its high setting allows you to shoot at longer ranges more accurately.  I got one on a 45colt trapper and I love it.  The scope took my little trapper from a 75yd gun to a 150yd gun.  The factory irons left a lot to be desired and plus the scope helps out a good bit at low light.  Dave  

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 08:32:39 AM »
I realize you are looking for a scope alternative but have you considered a small, low powered scope?    
  Yeah Dave I tried it and took it off after drawing blood;  Not from the game but from my nose.  It was the bushnell with 6" eye relief. 

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 09:00:55 AM »
How the heck did you get hit with a scope with a 6" eye relief?  What gun are you using?  You had better give me the scope before it bites again :D

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 12:54:02 PM »
How the heck did you get hit with a scope with a 6" eye relief?  What gun are you using?  You had better give me the scope before it bites again :D
I guess it's a combination of encore short stock design , 45/70 hornady leverevolution ammo, and my anatomy.

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 01:25:31 PM »
Ah yes, the old "combination of encore short stock design , 45/70 hornady leverevolution ammo, and anatomy" trick. ;D

Go for the peep sight, but make sure that you have a proper height front sight.

Offline jhm

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 03:52:54 AM »
     They have SURGERY to correct that anatomy issue  ;D ;D   Jim

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 06:16:56 PM »
I just ordered a tru-glo multi reticle red/green dot.  Price was right;  Hope it works out.  Anyone here have any experience with one for big game, heavy caliber,short range?

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 03:47:50 AM »
Tru-glow arrived and installed on encore 45/70.  So far I like it;  Hope it can withstand recoil.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 03:19:32 AM »
Try a Leupold scout scope.  It's 2.5x and requires 9-13" of eye relief.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 04:53:30 PM »
     They have SURGERY to correct that anatomy issue  ;D ;D   Jim

I think there was an old play and a movie made from it about that.

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 06:12:00 AM »
Tru-glow arrived and installed on encore 45/70.  So far I like it;  Hope it can withstand recoil.
  Returned it today.  Cross-hair reticle moves from 45/70 recoil.  I am exchanging it for BSA which is supposed to be "Shockproof".  We'll see.

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 05:35:39 PM »
BSA has feature that allows you to "Lock in" reticle after sighting in which should help keep it aligned and recoil-proof.  So far so good.

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 06:23:04 PM »
Ah yes, the old "combination of encore short stock design , 45/70 hornady leverevolution ammo, and anatomy" trick. ;D

Do you have to sit when you hold your rifle like that? Ordinarily your rifle should be up around your shoulder,well clear of your "anatomy"  :o

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 05:54:01 AM »

Do you have to sit when you hold your rifle like that? Ordinarily your rifle should be up around your shoulder,well clear of your "anatomy"  :o
  I think problem it only happens when I scrunch up on bench or sitting while sighting in.  Rifle comes straight up when shooting off-hand. 

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 05:16:44 AM »
BSA has feature that allows you to "Lock in" reticle after sighting in which should help keep it aligned and recoil-proof.  So far so good.
  Returned BSA;  Couldn't get reticle to stay fixed shooting 45/70 leverevolution ammo.   

Offline shvlhead.45

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 06:15:01 AM »
Brother and I have been shooting Handi-Rifles in .45/70 for going on two years with Bushnell Trophy Red Dots.  Mine is the $130 with four reticles and his is the older plain jane version with a the larger dot.  Neither have exhibited any signs of failure due to recoil and both of us shoot mid-level Marlin handloads and Hornady LeverEvolution rounds.  My brother had his on an Encore .454 pistol for a while. 

Best of luck finding what works.

v/r
Shvlhead.45

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 10:25:16 AM »
Brother and I have been shooting Handi-Rifles in .45/70 for going on two years with Bushnell Trophy Red Dots.  Mine is the $130 with four reticles and his is the older plain jane version with a the larger dot.  Neither have exhibited any signs of failure due to recoil and both of us shoot mid-level Marlin handloads and Hornady LeverEvolution rounds.  My brother had his on an Encore .454 pistol for a while. 

Best of luck finding what works.
Thanks for feedback.  BSA & Tru-glo were under $50.  Right now I'll stay with open sights this year.  Perhaps I'll try the Bushnell Trophy next year.   
v/r
Shvlhead.45

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 10:44:21 AM »
I realize you are looking for a scope alternative but have you considered a small, low powered scope?    
  Yeah Dave I tried it and took it off after drawing blood;  Not from the game but from my nose.  It was the bushnell with 6" eye relief. 

I'd suggest grasping the rifle before you pull the trigger.  The .45-70 doesn't have much recoil even with hot loads.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~