Author Topic: Bad Habit and a dumb question  (Read 771 times)

Offline lostone1413

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Bad Habit and a dumb question
« on: November 23, 2003, 05:16:56 AM »
As I get older being in my mid 50s it seems my eye sight is changing. I shoot with my right hand and now it is my left eye that is the dominate eye. I'm now starting to look for the sight instead of focusing on the target and bring the gun up to were i see the sight. Any other shooters ever have this problem and if so how did you correct it or did you just have to make adjustments??When I try an eye patch on my left eye when I llook at the sight it gets all out of focus. If I keep wearing the patch in time will it correct itself???

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2003, 09:56:47 AM »
You don't say what kinda gun so I'm not sure what to tell ya. One solution don't fit all situations here.

I am right handed and left eye dominant and guess I have always been. I just don't see it as a problem or a concern with rifles or handguns. I just close the left dominant eye when shooting. Always have.

Now shotguns is a different matter altogether. That is a fun one. Most folks with the problem chose to either shoot from same side as their dominant eye or wear a patch or some such arrangement. I seem totally inept with my left hand and shooting from the left shoulder was given up on many long years ago. Tried the patch and dot covering part of lens and nothing worked. So I just leared to cope with it. I now shoot with both eyes open and from the right shoulder and after many tens or maybe it was after a few hundred thousands of shots I actually learned to shoot pretty well that way. I've busted some 100 straights at skeet and made AA in some gauges. Never the 20 or .410 however. Some days I can't seem to hit for beans and others it seems I can't miss. This is sure the rough road to ride if you have the problem.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline lostone1413

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2003, 10:35:23 AM »
Most of the time I shoot a Ruger GP100 with a 4"barrel

Offline GBO MGMT

• Administrator
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2003, 12:18:41 PM »
Then just close that dominant eye and shoot with the one on the side you shoot with. Right hand right eye. That's the way I've done it since my first gun at age of five.

GB

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 02:46:08 AM »
With a handgun, shooting right hand with the left eye is a simple matter of some practice. Try blinking the rt eye just before you break the shot. Your adjustment is to hold the gun to the lt the distance you eyes are appart, say 3".
Dave375HH