Author Topic: A lot of questions on what to get next?  (Read 639 times)

Offline equinoxbuilders

• Trade Count: (0)
A lot of questions on what to get next?
« on: May 25, 2010, 12:41:49 PM »
I've been putting in a lot of overtime, and wife has given me the green light to get one or two more firearms.
What I already have.
Glock 26
Remington 870 Police 12ga
Ruger Mini14 stainless/synthetic, cut barrel 16 1/2", Leupold gold ring 2x7 (fairly accurate for a Mini)
Oh yah, Savage MarkII 22lr stock iron sights.
Looking to add a AR22, a DPMS, another Glock, Saiga 12.
For AR22 I'm looking at the SIG, S&W M+P 15-22, Ruger SR22.
Local shop today had 1 Smith 15-22 $550, 1 Ruger SR22 $480, and 1 Ruger 10/22 with folding stock $380.
Buddy of mine has Smith and loves it. I've not seen the SIG.  I looked at the Smith and Ruger and the Ruger felt well made, but the forums are questionable on it.  Some love it, some hate it.  The Smith was much lighter and the forums everyone loves them.  I'd like to also be able to shoot SuperMax through them once in a while too.  Recommendation?
Local Shop said better to order a DPMS 223, and get the .22 upper.

Local shop just sold a DPMS Bull .308 and can get others.
I'm not sure what caliber/model DPMS I really want.

Local shop also had a Saiga 12 for $550 and plenty of 10round mags for $40.
I'm really leaning toward getting the Saiga first.

They also had many different new  Glocks in .40 for $525-575...
Thinking of the 22 or 23 and then getting a 9mm conversion barrel then later a .22lr conversion.
Anyone shoot SuperMax through a AA .22lr conversion?

I only have about $1200 right now to spend. probably another $1200 in a few months.

I'm at a loss what I should get first.  I'm leaning toward the Saiga and a glock.
My kids 11 and 13 are starting to shoot with me and are still a little intimidated by the mini 'Crack', hence looking at the AR22s.
Any input/experiences much appreciated.

Scott
A fine is for doing something bad.  A tax is for doing something good.  I have to stop being so good.   :grin:

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: A lot of questions on what to get next?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 01:33:09 PM »
i picked up a smith ar22 last year and its dependable accurate and probably the most fun gun in the safe.
blue lives matter

Offline equinoxbuilders

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 01:41:09 PM »
Thanks Lloyd,
Have you put SuperMaximum through it?
I liked the SW, but have read a few posts that Supermax makes it a jam-o-matic.
The SR22 feeds the Supermax, but isn't as accurate unless one customizes barrel.
A fine is for doing something bad.  A tax is for doing something good.  I have to stop being so good.   :grin:

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 03:59:52 AM »
nope ive got 3 cases of blazer ammo and thats what its been fed. It did seem to want to choke occasionaly on the ww expert hp i tried in it though. Its never missed a beat with blazer and ive shot over a 1000 rounds without cleaning it before without a problem.
Thanks Lloyd,
Have you put SuperMaximum through it?
I liked the SW, but have read a few posts that Supermax makes it a jam-o-matic.
The SR22 feeds the Supermax, but isn't as accurate unless one customizes barrel.
blue lives matter

Offline bremraf

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 06:20:02 AM »
If it were me i'd get the dpms .223 and a .22lr cal conversion kit.  That way the kids can shoot daddy's gun and daddy can shoot a real gun when he wants too. lol. 

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 08:46:20 AM »
When I am thinking of getting a new gun I try to hold one of the types I want, to see how it feels, do lots of reading on the subject, both online and magazines.  Some of the magazines tend to sugar coat the articles though as they often get their advertising dollars from the very makers of the guns they are evaluating.  Gun shows are great for feeling the balance of a gun, lots of them on the tables.

Maybe you could take a "walk on the wild side" get something you never had before, life is an experience.  Also, keep in mind ammo cost, metals have gone up quite abit with global demand from China and India.

Offline blackwolfe

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 03:57:26 PM »
I have a Tactical Solutions dedicated .22 LR upper on a Rock River lower and I love it.  I got the M style, but they do make other with lighter barrels.  I was switching uppers between .223 and .22 LR, but I had a lower come my way cheap, so now I have have both and don't switch the uppers.
wolfe