Author Topic: SBR Dahlgren  (Read 2139 times)

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
SBR Dahlgren
« on: May 26, 2010, 05:04:46 AM »
Hi, Can anyone tell me if the carriage that came with this barrel was sold by SBR?
It appears to be a solid 1 piece casting and very heavy with cheek pieces 1 1/8"
thick.  Steel wheels are attached with hex head bolts.  Any info welcome. Thanks

America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: SBR Dahlgren
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 05:24:09 AM »
little seacoast,

There is one listed in SBR's catalog. It looks to be the same as your photo. SBR lists it as 55lbs. and the wheel diameter is 2.25". Hope this helps.
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline VA Rifleman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 04:32:43 PM »
Wow, that thing is pretty!   Whats the bore size?  You come up with some fine pieces Little Seacoast!
Ammunition is like firewood. The more you have, the warmer you feel.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 05:17:04 PM »
Hi VA, The bore is 0.9945", a sleeved barrel. Bought this to give as a gift to a friend but he may have a tough time getting it before Floyd in July.  Now I've go to find a source for 0.98 balls....  Regards, LS

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 05:40:15 PM »
Why not get it reamed to 1.025 and shoot 1 inch balls, they are easier to find.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 05:45:46 PM »
OK I'll bite, who does such work?  I've got 300+ 1.00" balls in stock.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 05:50:22 PM »
Now I've go to find a source for 0.98 balls....  Regards, LS

The 3oz. cannon ball sinkers that Brad & Sons sells are .96". So, you have another option if needed.
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Double D

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 05:59:57 PM »

Standard response, check with the sponsors.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 04:30:21 AM »
Ok let me rephrase this.  Has anyone used a specific individual or company to have a cannon's bore reamed to a larger size and if so who and were you pleased with the work? If you are a Sponsor or other person who does this kind of work I'd love to hear from you. I don't see a heading for willing to work on other companies stuff with the attendant liabilities inherent to such activities. Please feel free to PM me with any information you have. Thanks, LS

Offline VA Rifleman

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 01:20:18 PM »
LS,  from one of the links, http://bna.bircherinc.com/cannontypes.htm. See last 2 sentence's.  Have no idea as to the shop and prices but they seem to want to play.  I have the same need for machine services on my Parrot tube.  Something about adding more steel around the breech and the 1 caliber rule. Just sent an PM to see if they are interested and how much. Will let you know when / if I hear anything.  VA.

ALSO AVAILABLE FROM BEAUFORT NAVAL ARMORERS:

Custom made brass accoutrements such as ramrods, vent picks, worms and ball moulds.
Extra Rail bushings for swivel guns.
Custom made re-loadable brass shell casings.
Wooden carriages, custom made for all size barrels, superb craftsmanship.
We recommend that you purchase your black powder supplies and blank gun shells from a gun dealer near to you, but B.N.A. can sell you these supplies.
Do you already own a cannon that needs repair? Service, repairs, and reconditioning are available from B.N.A. for other antique or modern cannons, ordnance, and firearms.

Offline Double D

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 01:46:05 PM »
If you guys contact that outfit, ask them to be a sponsor of our forum.

Offline VA Rifleman

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 04:16:47 PM »
Double D, Aye Aye sir! Told em about LS's need and where I found em. (links on this forum)
Working with Armorer77 to see if we can get one of his stout GB barrels to fit on my ol naval carriage for the Floyd shoot. Got to be more fun that way!  ;D

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 04:15:49 PM »

300 balls in stock ....no ;D ,no ;D ,no ;D ,no ;D ,...! You have 300 balls in your inventory/armory ! Even IF you are willing to sell some ...........sorry I'm just butting in because i'm bored and it is now hotter than (I'll give it a try) Hadies . (proly missplelled it anyway ... ;)

Gary

Semper Fi 's
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 12:47:24 AM »
Gentlemen: This South Bend Replicas 1/7th scale IX-inch Dahlgren is made of cast iron, and has a DOM steel liner with a welded breech plug installed in the drilled bore; are you sure it's a wise decision to reduce the wall thickness of the steel liner?
Personally, I'd opt for spending the money on getting a mold made to cast the proper sized zinc balls.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 01:34:39 AM »
Gentlemen: This South Bend Replicas 1/7th scale IX-inch Dahlgren is made of cast iron, and has a DOM steel liner with a welded breech plug installed in the drilled bore; are you sure it's a wise decision to reduce the wall thickness of the steel liner?
Personally, I'd opt for spending the money on getting a mold made to cast the proper sized zinc balls.

Yes.

Wall reduction is only .016

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 01:36:27 AM »
 While reducing the thickness of the liner wall by .015" probably wouldn't cause a safety issue, leaving it as is would be better. Reaming and cost of shipping both ways would no doubt cost more than having a custom mould made.

This vendor will make a ball mould any size you specify for a reasonable price. Nice guy too...

http://www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk/moulds.htm#
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 02:17:40 AM »
While reducing the thickness of the liner wall by .015" probably wouldn't cause a safety issue, leaving it as is would be better. Reaming and cost of shipping both ways would no doubt cost more than having a custom mould made.

This vendor will make a ball mould any size you specify for a reasonable price. Nice guy too...

http://www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk/moulds.htm#

I've got to agree with my pal Victor on this one; all I know is that if for some reason while in a poker game I was given the choice of holding either two aces, or three aces, I'll choose to have the three in my hand.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 03:44:18 AM »
We have a sponsor that makes moulds.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 03:53:54 AM »
Rocklock I will make you a screaming deal on some 1" and 1.5" Fox balls, 50 ea.
If you're coming to Willis in July  I'll even deliver.

Offline Double D

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 04:53:39 AM »
I suppose I should say why I think reaming is the better way.

We are always saying don't build the gun for the way you will use it, build it for how the next guy will use it.  

A mould is a good idea.  But the problem is unless the mould is somehow permanently attached, down the road there is a good chance the mould and cannon will be separated.  

One inch diameter balls are a common object and are readily available.  There is a real risk that some future owner who does not know better  will find it easier, even with a mould to buy some one inch steel balls and try to drive them down the bore with disastrous results.  

Also, and this is just a guess, what is being used for the bore liner is simply 1 inch ID seamless liner, the measurement seems to indicate that.  You can not  just use seamless tubing as is. It's not round, it needs reamed. Polishing or honing isn't good enough. I would be surprised if careful measurement did disclose  some variance.

I would never make a cannon in common object bore diameter with out adding the safety feature of windage.

No it's not about money it's about safety. I would get this cannon reamed to make it safer.   And for what it's worth, it should have been reamed to start with.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2010, 05:12:04 AM »
Thanks LS ,but I dont have anything that size .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2010, 06:44:08 PM »
How long is it from the muzzle to the back end of the liner?. Reason I ask is that I may have a 1" reamer in my tool chest in the garage. Will have to check first to see if I still have it. You will need a large tap or reamer wrench to swing that puppy. If I have 1". Give me a day or so to see if I have it. Can post it to you and when done post back to me. This is a big honkin hand reamer, not a chucking reamer. Frank  P.S., I'm jealous of you there I said it and feel better already. Frank

Offline Double D

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2010, 07:25:33 PM »
One  inch is bige enough, he needs 1.025

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2010, 09:32:24 PM »
Little seacoast, you can ship that SBR Dahlgren to me and sometime in the next 20 years or so I will try to ream it out and ship it back to you.   ;D
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2010, 02:26:51 AM »
I would never make a cannon in common object bore diameter with out adding the safety feature of windage.

...it should have been reamed to start with.

Can't argue either point; reaming for correct windage of a common projectile should result in an overall safer (and probably more accurate shooting) barrel if you've got enough material to remove without making the liner too thin.

However, I doubt that many cast & lined "common object bore diameter" cannon barrels discussed here over the years have been reamed (or otherwise machined) to uniform diameter/windage along their entire length. maybe I missed it, but I've never noted an objection to an 'un-reamed' liner before now.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2010, 04:07:59 AM »
I had an SBR barrel here a few years ago and the sleeve is 1/8" thick on that barrel.  If you ream it, be very careful, slow with lots of oil.  I think he glued the sleeve in. 

Offline Double D

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2010, 05:19:05 AM »
I mentioned  the lack of concentricity in the seamless bores before, I think others have also. For me is it is part of the process of making a liner.

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2010, 06:45:59 PM »
Little seacoast, just checked for the reamers. I have a 1" and 1 1/8" hand reamer. That's the largest size I have. I think the larger of the two would just about ream out the liner though or come close to it. The 1" is about 10" long and about 11" with the square shank for the tap wrench. Frank

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2010, 03:03:39 AM »
Frank, Thank you very kindly for the gracious offer of your tools, very unexpected and generous.  I feel that this is something I had better have done for me by someone who has a clue (not me) what they are doing in metalwork.
Dominic is right on the mark as usual, 1/8" thickness liner, no sign of how it's secured that I recognize.  Since this is intended for someone else to use, I want it to be safe as well as fun to use.

Offline VA Rifleman

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2010, 04:29:12 AM »
The ignition system looks particular well suited to defending south western VA from an airborne hot air balloon assault