Author Topic: Thoughts on Replacement Sights for Tracker II 20ga. barrel??  (Read 509 times)

Offline Nova

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Just acquired a Tracker II barrel in 20 ga...and I am less than impressed with the stock rifle sights.  While they do like quite sturdy and well made, I would like something that might be a little easier to shoot.  The only options I can really think of right now are a Williams peep sight or fiber optics of some sort.  I would really like to hear your thoughts and experiences with other sights on this gun.  I have tried a search on the topic...but did not have much success in finding what I was looking for. 

Thanks in advance!

ps...What kind of accuracy are others getting with open sights out of this set up?

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
Re: Thoughts on Replacement Sights for Tracker II 20ga. barrel??
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 01:14:51 PM »
From what I HEAR (don't have one) they are scary accurate with the load each gun prefers. Throw a peep on. If you are already thinking about just go ahead and do it.
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 02:09:30 PM »
Can't help you with the open sights, but I had mine drilled and tapped put a 2X Tru Glo red dot on and with 2 3/4" lightfield hybrid express it shot 3 shots into 2 holes touching at 65 yards. tracker II 20ga are incredible when you find the sabot it likes.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 03:26:51 PM »
  Spikehorn has that right. I have seen picture of groups he has shot with it. They are fantastic.

Offline SJB

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 05:50:09 PM »
I'm in the exact same boat! Although I'm happy with the rear site , which I swear is the Williams WGOS series ( I called Williams but the guy I spoke with didn't know, maybe it is since Williams makes the receiver site for the Buffalo Classic). If it is the WGOS they make different blades including a fiber-optics ghost ring that you might like. You'll probably want to replace the front site as well and I think they are soldered on. I like a gold bead on a post for a front site and I'm going to try and modify the one that came with it. If that doesn't work out I'll use the Williams Shotgun Shorty Ramp in 20 gauge and have a gunsmith install it.

Offline Nova

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 06:38:06 PM »
The more I look at these sights, the more I think I'm going to give them a fair shot before I start changing things.  Possibly just some sight paint on the front to give some more contrast??

SJB,

Have you shot the Tracker II yet?  What kind of accuracy are you getting with which ammo?

Offline SJB

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 07:15:10 AM »
No I haven't , I was hoping to resolve my  front site issue first. I called H&R this morning and asked if the rear site is the Williams WGOS, the technician said he was 95% sure it was and the replacement blades offered by Williams should fit. I'll let you know how it performs when I get a chance to shoot it.