Author Topic: those laser boresighters  (Read 606 times)

Offline john keyes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
those laser boresighters
« on: May 27, 2010, 12:35:17 PM »
okay...so you have a laser pointing out of the bore of your gun.  if you adjust your scope to center on the red dot made by the laser on your wall or however far out....

won't your scope be "pointing down"?  ie the path of the scope will intersect the path of the bore somewhere down range and they will go separate ways.

or am I way off here....?

:D
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: those laser boresighters
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 12:49:34 PM »
Line of sight and bullet trajectory cross at about 25yds or so, bullet then drops below line of sight again somewhere downrange.

Tim

http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/tips/long-range-shooting/bullet-flight-and-hunting-optics/

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 01:05:21 PM »
That's correct, so sight your rifle in at about 25-27 yds and you should be on paper.  It will not be perfect without shooting and correcting.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 02:03:49 PM »
If you can use the laser boresighter at close to 100 yards you will be amazed how close to zero you will be with ammo if you use a rest to boresight it.  I used a laser boresighter to set my scope with Burris signature zee rings and got within an inch at 100 yards. It was a trial and error endeavor since I used the offset ring inserts to get a close zero without using the turrets.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 02:08:04 PM »
my boresighter came with a target specifically marked for different scope heights
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 04:23:19 PM »
I wait till evening and do it outside on a tree and try to go as far as i can still see the lazer.
blue lives matter

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 02:38:52 PM »
I've always put the rifle in a rest and looked through the bore (bolt out) while I adjusted it to center target.  I just then moved the reticle to center target.

I understand that on most autoloaders and lever actions that you can't do this, so I just have always shot at a clay pigeon with a buddy spotting that knows his measurements.

Offline tangob5

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 05:59:47 AM »
For the most part the boresighters are to just get you on paper and they do that well.  I usually just set up at 100 yards.  They save a bit of time and ammo but you still dial it in by shooting.  I have seen 2 rifles destroyed by not removing the boresighters from the muzzle before shooting.  Some people just don't engage their brain sometimes and get in a rush.

Offline Poopers

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 08:43:04 AM »
I just got a laser boresighter and put a 3-9 scope on my ar15... now this is one of the old school ar15's with the handles up top so the scope is mounted a few inches above the barrel. I boresighted it INSIDE my house and when I took it to the range it was almost dead center. Well worth the money...especially if you are sighting in expensive calibers.

Offline ralfus

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 12:46:43 PM »
okay...so you have a laser pointing out of the bore of your gun.  if you adjust your scope to center on the red dot made by the laser on your wall or however far out....

won't your scope be "pointing down"?  ie the path of the scope will intersect the path of the bore somewhere down range and they will go separate ways.

or am I way off here....?

:D

This is exactly what a scope has ALWAYS done, the laser boresighter would not make a difference. A better way to visualize it is that the scope is not "pointing down", the rifle scope is aimed at the target and the rifle is "pointed up".  If properly done your scope should intersect the bullet's path twice.

The boresighter helps get your scope on paper while maybe shooting fewer rounds.