Author Topic: 9mm Largo load data.  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Peshtigo71

• bountyhunter
  • Trade Count: (0)
9mm Largo load data.
« on: May 28, 2010, 07:08:38 PM »
     Does anyone have load data for the 9mm Largo to be used in the Spanish Destroyer carbine?  Where did
you obtain the components?  How much stronger is the carbines' action than the pistols?  I'd like to go w/ a
bullet on the heavy end, maybe the 147gr.  Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Peshtigo71
Among all the people were 700 chosen left-handed
men; every one could sling a stone at a hair's breadth and not miss.  Judges 20:16

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: 9mm Largo load data.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 07:15:57 PM »
After looking at a destroyer carbine a number of years ago, I don't know its any stronger then the Astra / Star pistols chambered for the same round.  Don't trust loads you see on talk forums, go to a powder manufacturers web site, or a loading manual for safe loads.  Largo's take the same bullet as a regular 9mm.  Cases are available from Star-Line.  Loaded ammo is available from the Blazer line, and at SARCO.  9mm Largo tends to run a little faster then regular 9mm luger, especially out of a rifle length barrel.  I would guess a safe load with a 147 grn bullet out of a destroyer might run about 1200 fps.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Peshtigo71

• bountyhunter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 12:31:27 PM »
     Bigeasy-Thanks for the component info.  The Largo seems to be such an oddball that I can't find any
"hard" load data for it  It just seems to have so much potential.  I do know to stay away from the 9X23
Winchester though. :o   One things for sure it's a lot of fun and the kids like the bang for the buck.  :)
Among all the people were 700 chosen left-handed
men; every one could sling a stone at a hair's breadth and not miss.  Judges 20:16

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 12:44:28 PM »
I bet the Destroyer rifle would be a fun plinking gun.  I was tempted to buy one when I bought my 9mm Largo pistols, but I just had too many toys as it is, so I passed.  The Spanish Military ammo I have been seeing dates from the 60's.  Some is corrosive, some not (its marked on the box).  Reliability has been fine in my pistols.  The quality of the Star Super pistols that chamber it, by the way, is way high, fully as nice as any high end modern 1911.  I paid $85 each about 1983 or so.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 12:48:04 PM »
Peshtigo:  since you reload you can use 9x23 brass in the Destroyer but I would keep my loads to the 9mm level, which will be plenty hot enough from the Destryoer barrel at normal 9mm pressures.  I use to make my own brass for my Destroyer from 9mm magnum brass, just cut it down in a 38 Super trim die.  Someone once made a 9mm chamber adapter for those rifles to shoot surplus 9mm, but I just cannot remember who dun it.  You may also find that some low end 38 Super or 38 Automatic load data will work nicely.  I think I tried slugs all the way to 158 gn round nose in mine over some low end 38 Super loads.  It was fun.  HTH.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 12:52:13 PM »
Big:  you're right about the quality of the Stars.  Years ago I had Stars, Llamas and Astras in the 9mm Largo and they were a hoot.  Not a one of them ever failed even with the soft nose slugs we used to load.  Thye were all quality pistols. 

I still have some 1948 made 9mm Largo for the Destroyer.  I have shot some CCI 9mm Largo and performance is about the same as a 9mm.  I would opt for some custom handloads at a safe pressure level to maximize the accuracy of the round - makes a wonderful 'garden gun'.......